Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Logan Stieber for Head Coach?

Recommended Posts

I get you have not started a thread in the last 30 minutes so you had to throw it out there but I am going to be serious for a minute. Not that I always am nut this time I choose to be with the right to alter that choice under the unwritten internet rule 3482. 

 

Personally I think a guy like him would be best for the sport at the high school level. Sure he's got a name and could most likely recruit and develop guys but he would do more for the sport as a whole at a lower level. In fact a lot of guys would be serving our sport better at the HS level. 

Edited by Zebra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zebra said:

I get you have not started a thread in the last 30 minutes so you had to throw it out there but I am going to be serious for a minute. Not that I always am nut this time I choose to be with the right to alter that choice under the unwritten internet rule 3482. 

 

Personally I think a guy like him would be best for the sport at the high school level. Sure he's got a name and could most likely recruit and develop guys but he would do more for the sport as a whole at a lower level. In fact a lot of guys would be serving our sport better at the HS level. 

Why high school though?  His college and world accolades are amazing.  He has a brand and is a name that kids know and respect.  He would be an excellent Head Coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Why high school though?  His college and world accolades are amazing.  He has a brand and is a name that kids know and respect.  He would be an excellent Head Coach.

The answer is the same for most guys. He will positively impact more kids in an annual basis at the HS level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BobbyGribbs said:

He’s joining Freestyle staff & opening wrestling academy!

 

I will be staying in Columbus coaching the @OhioRTC! I've been excited about coaching for a long time, can't wait to start.

 

Yes that's what has been announced but, per internet rule 99473849 rampant speculation, rumor, unfounded opinion, conspiracy theories, etc. are all allowed, and potentially encouraged, at all times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Head coach and assistant (room) coach roles are vastly different. Not everyone is cut out to be a head coach. Not everyone makes a great assistant coach. Although Logan does not strike me as a head coach, I'd be shocked if he fell flat attempting it. This guy is a winner - at all levels.

But, as indicated above, he does not appear to be heading in the direction of coaching an NCAA team. My guess is that his wrestling academy will be the best in the area, state, and possibly region. Which means the M2 Training Facility (run by David Taylor) and Logan's training facility will have a dual meet within the next three years.

Edited by RealAmericanHero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stieber as a head coach at a top program starting now doesn't seem realistic.  That's a very tall order for anyone that young to go from no full time coaching to head coach at Iowa or other top five program (probably hardest at Iowa given the spotlight there).  

I don't think a school should hire anyone for a job like that under those circumstances.  But if they were going to, it would probably be Taylor or Dake, who seem more extroverted than Stieber (and have bigger names as a selling point).

I say this realizing that Sanderson is not an extrovert, but he brought a more powerful competing resume and aura to recruiting and giving direction; he did some assistant coaching on the staff first, where presumably he developed and/or demonstrated skills that were a good fit for head coaching; and, this is just my subjective opinion, he seems to have a stronger personality than Stieber does (not a knock on Stieber; as others have commented, his regular-guy persona speaks well to his decency as a person).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Zebra said:

I get you have not started a thread in the last 30 minutes so you had to throw it out there but I am going to be serious for a minute. Not that I always am nut this time I choose to be with the right to alter that choice under the unwritten internet rule 3482. 

 

Personally I think a guy like him would be best for the sport at the high school level. Sure he's got a name and could most likely recruit and develop guys but he would do more for the sport as a whole at a lower level. In fact a lot of guys would be serving our sport better at the HS level. 

This is ludicrous.  Most HS wrestlers are not serious about the sport.  A 4X NCAA champion and world champion should be coaching at the college level or at an RTC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

This is ludicrous.  Most HS wrestlers are not serious about the sport.  A 4X NCAA champion and world champion should be coaching at the college level or at an RTC. 

No it's not ludicrous. You seem to be thinking only in wrestling terms and I am not. There is more to life than wrestling and more to wrestling than technicality at the highest level. A lot more kids pass through any decent size high school in a few years than any college or RTC and I assure you they can and will benefit significantly more than a 1 in a million kid getting a fraction better at a slide-by. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Zebra said:

No it's not ludicrous. You seem to be thinking only in wrestling terms and I am not. There is more to life than wrestling and more to wrestling than technicality at the highest level. A lot more kids pass through any decent size high school in a few years than any college or RTC and I assure you they can and will benefit significantly more than a 1 in a million kid getting a fraction better at a slide-by. 

Great, well you don't need to be a 4X NCAA Champ to be a great life coach.There are plenty of people who can be outstanding HS coaches.   Stieber has elite technique and knows how to train at the elite level-he should be passing that info on to elite wrestlers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BobbyGribbs said:

@Zebra now that is a funny post. I mean I had only known about Internet rules 1- 99473848. Guess I should have turned to the next page.

You're going to crap yourself when you find that there were an additional 47 pages left unread...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Great, well you don't need to be a 4X NCAA Champ to be a great life coach.There are plenty of people who can be outstanding HS coaches.   Stieber has elite technique and knows how to train at the elite level-he should be passing that info on to elite wrestlers.  

The question was where would he be best and in my opinion he would be better serving the wrestling community as a whole at the HS level as opposed to helping that one in a million kid become fractionally better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BobbyGribbs said:

@Zebra now that is a funny post. I mean I had only known about Internet rules 1- 99473848. Guess I should have turned to the next page.

That must be similar to "Gibb's rules"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be so refreshing if we learned that Steiber was retiring from wrestling in order to pursue a career on Wall Street or Apple.  Something, anything worthy of a four year college degree other than more sweating and cauliflower ears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Zebra said:

I get you have not started a thread in the last 30 minutes so you had to throw it out there but I am going to be serious for a minute. Not that I always am nut this time I choose to be with the right to alter that choice under the unwritten internet rule 3482. 

 

Personally I think a guy like him would be best for the sport at the high school level. Sure he's got a name and could most likely recruit and develop guys but he would do more for the sport as a whole at a lower level. In fact a lot of guys would be serving our sport better at the HS level. 

I don't know if that's the answer for Logan, but I do know a few of Gable's former wrestlers became great high school coaches....Brad Smith being one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Dr. Novak said:

It would be so refreshing if we learned that Steiber was retiring from wrestling in order to pursue a career on Wall Street or Apple.  Something, anything worthy of a four year college degree other than more sweating and cauliflower ears.

I assure you he will make plenty of obey running his academy. Likely far more than if he went the corporate route, at least for the next few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Zebra said:

I get you have not started a thread in the last 30 minutes so you had to throw it out there but I am going to be serious for a minute. Not that I always am nut this time I choose to be with the right to alter that choice under the unwritten internet rule 3482. 

 

Personally I think a guy like him would be best for the sport at the high school level. Sure he's got a name and could most likely recruit and develop guys but he would do more for the sport as a whole at a lower level. In fact a lot of guys would be serving our sport better at the HS level. 

Just curious, why?  I agree with the comment that he shouldn’t be handed a college head coaching job, but I don’t see why he couldn’t be a good college coach after gaining some experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I assure you he will make plenty of obey running his academy. Likely far more than if he went the corporate route, at least for the next few years.  

Laughable comment really.  Average starting salary at Google is $133,000.  What is a wrestling academy anyway?  Are they located in strip malls next to the karate studio?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dr. Novak said:

Laughable comment really.  Average starting salary at Google is $133,000.  What is a wrestling academy anyway?  Are they located in strip malls next to the karate studio?

Look at Askren, and David Taylor's models/facilities. This is moreso how it is in Ohio as well. I imagine he will have a standalone building of some kind at some point. With a name like his it will certainly be lucrative. There are individuals who are far less reputable in the area who make good money doing stuff like that, and without a facility of their own. 

Add that with his oRTC salary, and keep in mind this is doing something he is very passionate about. I'd say he will be fine with his choice. 

With all of that being said, to say he'll make more money than if he were in the corporate route might be a bit of a stretch lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Just curious, why?  I agree with the comment that he shouldn’t be handed a college head coaching job, but I don’t see why he couldn’t be a good college coach after gaining some experience. 

The comment isn't about his ability to be good at whatever he does just where I think he would be the best overall for the wrestling community as a whole. Some guys should be club coaches, some at the JR High level, and some should never be around anybody who does not have Olympic aspirations.  

I do not doubt he would be a good coach at any level I just think HS would be the best life long fit. 

Now all of this is based upon what we know publicity, have heard through the rumor mill, and in my case a brief 5 minute interaction with my son and him. I got the sense he was a genuinely nice guy who just connected with people and regardless of what people may think those traits do not happen often.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×