Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Logan Stieber for Head Coach?

19 minutes ago, Dr. Novak said:

Kind of like teaching archery or bowling.  I suppose there is a market for anything.

Might be a bit of down-talk in there, but you are correct. The market Logan will serve in Columbus, and Ohio in general will be huge. 

30 minutes ago, Dr. Novak said:

Huge is a relative term.  Anyway all the best to Logan.

Yeah, relative to wrestling. In Ohio. It's a pretty big number youth-HS. He will have no shortage of athletes wanting to learn from him.

5 hours ago, Dr. Novak said:

It would be so refreshing if we learned that Steiber was retiring from wrestling in order to pursue a career on Wall Street or Apple.  Something, anything worthy of a four year college degree other than more sweating and cauliflower ears.

You have a point. But Logan Stieber will never be better at anything than he is at wrestling right now. It's natural to stay in the area where you are one of the best in the world-- even if he could make a lot more money being average on Wall Street. Plus, he likely loves wrestling.

I guess I'm suggesting that it would be refreshing to read about one of the greats that also happens to be really smart.    Adam Coon comes to mind but he's not an all time great.   Cornell now churning out wrestling coaches.....Leen, Nickerson, Gray, Dake, Dean, Yanni (or so he says), Simaz, Garrett...seems surprising that's all an Ivy grad aspires to.

Laughable comment really.  Average starting salary at Google is $133,000.  What is a wrestling academy anyway?  Are they located in strip malls next to the karate studio?

This has to be the most asinine comment I've read on this board since I saw multiple comments a couple days back discussing what makes you an "athlete". 

Do some research on who Google, Amazon, Microsoft, and Apple hire. I can assure you it isn't a guy with a degree from Ohio State who only has experience in the arena of international freestyle wrestling for the last 6 years. Logan is taking the route that allows him to do something he enjoys while making a solid income. 

Edited by MrDream

Laughable comment really.  Average starting salary at Google is $133,000.  What is a wrestling academy anyway?  Are they located in strip malls next to the karate studio?

I am going ot guess that is not a new grad starting salary. Average salaries get boosted by management types and programmers with years of experience.

i'd love to hear what starting salary of $133k a business admin grad is going to garner with zero professional/corporate experience aside from international wrestling, sponsorship negotiations and personal branding.

1 hour ago, MrDream said:

This has to be the most asinine comment I've read on this board since I saw multiple comments a couple days back discussing what makes you an "athlete". 

Do some research on who Google, Amazon, Microsoft, and Apple hire. I can assure you it isn't a guy with a degree from Ohio State who only has experience in the arena of international freestyle wrestling for the last 6 years. Logan is taking the route that allows him to do something he enjoys while making a solid income. 

Kind of my point genius.  Rather than majoring in wrestling wouldn't it be nice if a leading athlete were using wrestling as a means to an end.

1 hour ago, Dr. Novak said:

Kind of my point genius.  Rather than majoring in wrestling wouldn't it be nice if a leading athlete were using wrestling as a means to an end.

It would be very unique to see a high end athlete with the fundamental knowledge base to step foot in a tech field giant after a 4 year degree. The amount of work that is put in to be a "leading athlete" is strenuous, now double that with the amount of work an individual must have to beat the strenuous competition of being hired at a tech giant. Basically there's two types of people who get hired at tech giants right out of college....a person with unreal connections or a person who can code like Zuckerberg. 

I was a mediocre college athlete. I focused on school way more. I actually work at a tech giant. No disrespect to Logan, but I highly doubt he can code like Zuckerberg, if he can, kudos to him. He would be the first "leading athlete" I've seen that could devote ample time to athletics as well as tech career development. 

15 hours ago, Dr. Novak said:

It would be so refreshing if we learned that Steiber was retiring from wrestling in order to pursue a career on Wall Street or Apple.  Something, anything worthy of a four year college degree other than more sweating and cauliflower ears.

There are plenty of ex wrestlers with careers outside of wrestling. There's nothing wrong with a 4X NCAA champ wanting to coach wrestling.  In fact, the world doesn't need more people looking to work on wall street or at tech companies.  I'm not surprised seeing a comment like this though from somebody who insists on calling himself "Dr."

Edited by Billyhoyle

17 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

There are plenty of ex wrestlers with careers outside of wrestling. There's nothing wrong with a 4X NCAA champ wanting to coach wrestling.  In fact, the world doesn't need more people looking to work on wall street or at tech companies.  I'm not surprised seeing a comment like this though from somebody who insists on calling himself "Dr."

On 4/17/2019 at 12:55 PM, RealAmericanHero said:

Head coach and assistant (room) coach roles are vastly different. Not everyone is cut out to be a head coach. Not everyone makes a great assistant coach. Although Logan does not strike me as a head coach, I'd be shocked if he fell flat attempting it. This guy is a winner - at all levels.

But, as indicated above, he does not appear to be heading in the direction of coaching an NCAA team. My guess is that his wrestling academy will be the best in the area, state, and possibly region. Which means the M2 Training Facility (run by David Taylor) and Logan's training facility will have a dual meet within the next three years.

Collin Palmer already has a great thing going on in the Columbus, OH area and The Burnett boy's have a strong club (BTW) out in Milan.  I seriously doubt that Logan's facility will provide better training than the Palmer or Burnett clubs.  

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

I seriously doubt that Logan's facility will provide better training than the Palmer or Burnett clubs.  

Who knows?  But... it's yet another great resource for Ohio kids.

On 4/18/2019 at 3:44 AM, 1032004 said:

I would guess the owners of some of the top clubs make over $133k.  May take him a few years to get there but certainly doable.

I don't have to "guess" I KNOW top club coaches can make MUCH more.

On 4/19/2019 at 3:34 PM, Bryan said:

Collin Palmer already has a great thing going on in the Columbus, OH area and The Burnett boy's have a strong club (BTW) out in Milan.  I seriously doubt that Logan's facility will provide better training than the Palmer or Burnett clubs.  

Add in Miron's club and there's no reason Ohio shouldn't see an uptick in results, be it freestyle, Greco, or folkstyle.

Edited by RealAmericanHero

Interesting to note that most of the big time Ohio clubs are nowhere near Cleveland.  Mike Kulcyzki's Wrestling Factory is the only training club of it's type in Cle area.  Burnett's operation is in nearby Lorain county.  

Stieber would do very well if he opened up a training center on the east side of Cleveland.  I think he and Helen would like it there as well.  

On 4/19/2019 at 12:34 PM, Bryan said:

You don’t think people would rather be trained by 4X NCAA champ and world champ Logan Stieber? Ohio might actually start wrestling on the mat. Also, I bet he won’t have any issue raising the investment needed to build a really nice facility.