TBar1977

The Day Cael Sanderson Turned College Wrestling On Its Head

Superb article. 

What Penn State did and who they did it with will surely be used as a benchmark for any school desiring to create a championship wrestling program. 

The key point in the article, in my opinion, is that the main ingredient Cael Sanderson brought to the table was leadership.

There was a topic on the board recently that sparked a lively discussion in the last week or so -- something like who was the most ambitious guy in wrestling.

There is a quote in the article linked in this thread that suggests that Cael should be near the top of that ambitious list:

"From what I understood, Cael wasn’t even on Penn State’s radar. Apparently, it was him who reached out to Penn State. No one will ever know the whole story, but from what I heard, there were some things at Iowa State that he was unhappy about and he saw tremendous potential at Penn State. It was just as much him being proactive and looking to take his next career step as it was Penn State wanting Cael."

It was a huge move but anyone with a brain knew that if PSU could get the best in PA they would be a almost instant contender.  IMO there were other coaches that could of had the same success at PSu.  Now the PSU train in full steam and will take a great team to derail.

45 minutes ago, Alwayswrestling said:

It was a huge move but anyone with a brain knew that if PSU could get the best in PA they would be a almost instant contender.  IMO there were other coaches that could of had the same success at PSu.  Now the PSU train in full steam and will take a great team to derail.

No one would have had the success that Cael is having.  Cael is as astonishing a coach as he was a wrestler.  

Why no attempt to reach out to Bobby Douglas about the situation or ask for comment? That was a huge part of the story line but hardly gets a passing mention. Bobby’s perspective would have really made the article worth reading. Instead, it read like a fluff piece. Could have been produced by PSU themselves and you wouldn’t notice.

Edited by wrestlingphish

16 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

Why no attempt to reach out to Bobby Douglas about the situation or ask for comment? That was a huge part of the story line but hardly gets a passing mention. Bobby’s perspective would have really made the article worth reading. Instead, it read like a fluff piece. Could have been produced by PSU themselves and you wouldn’t notice.

I agree. Carl should have just went straight to PSU if that's what he wanted.

19 hours ago, Alwayswrestling said:

It was a huge move but anyone with a brain knew that if PSU could get the best in PA they would be a almost instant contender.  IMO there were other coaches that could of had the same success at PSU.  

Image result for shaking head no gif

Edited by HurricaneWrestling2

On 4/17/2019 at 5:16 PM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Yet some say he can't coach...

Here is KJ explaining Cael's success:

"He’s not showing any more special technique than anyone else. But, his ability to recruit the very best kids in the country to his program..."

"the biggest thing that I’m impressed with that he hasn’t missed on too many of those blue-chip-No. 1 kids. If you are getting three or four or five of them, and the rest of the other teams aren’t getting them..."

"But, understand, it’s resources, support from his administration and then it’s about him being the best recruiter. The thing you can hang on his hat, he’s the best recruiter in the country because he continually gets the very best kids..."

This is from Cael's former boss, Olympic coach, and USA wrestling national development coach.

Didn't I read somewhere that it was one donor who gave $5 million that really set PSU above everyone else?  What are the chances that donor was Matt Millen? Does anyone know who it was?