8 minutes ago, Giovanni said:

Holy effing ****e!! Burroughs just got a TD with about half a second left to escape one of the biggest upsets of his career. Gomez was all defense and held it to 2-0, then gets a leg and finishes TD with about 10 seconds left. Looks like he is going to be able to stall out for the win until JB hits the blast double on the edge to take the 4-2 win!

Yikes that was too close for comfort from this Husker alum. 

I could judge from the twitter feed that it got tense.  Thanks for the recap.  Was that Franklin Gomez?

1 minute ago, misterc said:

I could judge from the twitter feed that it got tense.  Thanks for the recap.  Was that Franklin Gomez?

Yes. And I completely spaced who "Gomez from Puerto Rico" was during the match and in my initial post. Franklin Gomez is a definite stud, so the closeness of the match does not seem as shocking after my brain woke up and realized who he was.

Just now, Mphillips said:

"USA men's freestyle team went 22-0 this session, outscoring its opponents, 183-22."

You beat me to it. Just tallied it up, 27-0 total so far including yesterday. 20 of those TF or Fall (roughly 3/4).

So I'd say YES this is a pretty weak field based on the amount of domination (even by our back-ups). But also YES, our guys are wrestling at a very high level right now. Watched most of these matches and we seem to be wrestling smart, technically sound, attacking constantly and our cardio is definitely better than the field. Our guys are even taking it to the handful of studs they come up against. 

4 hours ago, Giovanni said:

Yes. And I completely spaced who "Gomez from Puerto Rico" was during the match and in my initial post. Franklin Gomez is a definite stud, so the closeness of the match does not seem as shocking after my brain woke up and realized who he was.

Yup. He’s an NCAA champ and word silver medalist.

38 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Four or so minutes on the mat.  Total!

Not the most stacked weight class, but I was impressed with him all day. His dominant style top game in Folk transitions nicely into some wicked par terre in Free. 

I would not at all be surprised to see him contend for the spot at 70 or 65 these next few years. 

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

Did USA win every single weight? 

Yep. With the regional training centers rampant everywhere we are obviously a lot better than we ever have been. That being said the competition was ****ing rancid. I mean God awful. Did you see the guy that Jaden Cox beat in like 13 seconds? My son could beat him without breaking a sweat. Even including Canada there's not 10 other guys in freestyle who would even sniff making our team. I mean Cadet team