3 minutes ago, UTC_Fan said:

Yep. With the regional training centers rampant everywhere we are obviously a lot better than we ever have been. That being said the competition was ****ing rancid. I mean God awful. Did you see the guy that Jaden Cox beat in like 13 seconds? My son could beat him without breaking a sweat. Even including Canada there's not 10 other guys in freestyle who would even sniff making our team. I mean Cadet team

Agree. That said, I predicted they'd "win every weight or come close to that", partly due to level of competition. 

That was a remarkable performance by team USA.  We had a few quality wins but overall the competition was less than stellar.  I've been a part of and coached a few pretty good teams, and I've seen many, many great teams, but I've never seen anyone win every match they wrestled in a tournament. I believe I'm going to do a search for Mr Rodriquez and Mr McCrystal.  My track stream froze up through all of Kyle's championship match, but other than that, I enjoyed watching us pummel our way through this.  Would have been a bummer if JB lost, but man, is that the stuff heroes are made out of or what?  Does anyone know the criteria for qualifying our weight for 2020?  I may be mistaken, but I think this qualifies at some or all weights, but any help would be way cooler if I knew.

44 minutes ago, Giovanni said:

Not the most stacked weight class, but I was impressed with him all day. His dominant style top game in Folk transitions nicely into some wicked par terre in Free. 

I would not at all be surprised to see him contend for the spot at 70 or 65 these next few years. 

Agreed.  But four minutes on the mat and a championship is still impressive.

55 minutes ago, UTC_Fan said:

Yep. With the regional training centers rampant everywhere we are obviously a lot better than we ever have been. That being said the competition was ****ing rancid. I mean God awful. Did you see the guy that Jaden Cox beat in like 13 seconds? My son could beat him without breaking a sweat. Even including Canada there's not 10 other guys in freestyle who would even sniff making our team. I mean Cadet team

Aside from Cuba, wrestling is basically non-existent in Latin America.  

It would be nice to see a Latin American country not called Cuba consistently field medal contenders.

Probably won’t happen though.

Yes overall the competition wasn’t that great but one of our guys (Colon) beat the reigning world champ, and another guy (Rodriguez) who is pretty far down our ladder beat a U23 world champ. So that’s a pretty impressive day for the US.

Side note... how did Bonne and Colon get matched up first round when they are by far the two best in their weight?

How did the Colon Bonne match go down?  I was following on track and it was 1-0 at the break then 9-1!  I assume it was his gut?  

Trackwrestling would be smart to list every tournament they are going to cover  live so I have an idea what I’ll be spending my money on.  Will they have the world championships?  This list may already exist but I haven’t found it.  

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

Yes overall the competition wasn’t that great but one of our guys (Colon) beat the reigning world champ, and another guy (Rodriguez) who is pretty far down our ladder beat a U23 world champ. So that’s a pretty impressive day for the US.

Side note... how did Bonne and Colon get matched up first round when they are by far the two best in their weight?

It was a round robin bracket. It just shook out that they had their match first round instead of second or third.

3 hours ago, Mphillips said:

Agreed on the competition, but you can only wrestle who is there and you still have to get the results.

DT Named Outstanding Wrestler.

DT = OW

Rodriquez won and I doubt anyone predicted that.

Franklin Gomez nearly beat Jordan Burroughs, and sure as heck nobody saw that coming.

Congrats to the NLWC. 

29 minutes ago, pamela said:

Is Franklin Gomez still with the NLWC? Seems like a pretty good environment, with Nolf, Zain, Hall, and Cenzo to train with.

(also: I guess Gomez has been eating whatever DT and Cassar have been eating!)

Yes

Do any of these wrestlers besides Cubans and Americans and I guess Canadians train full time?

What is the training situation in a country like Peru? Surely the wrestlers have to have another means of support. 

It feels like we are sending NBA players against the best players the local YMCA had to offer.

4 hours ago, JBluegill133 said:

How do you guys rank the “toughness” of the continental championships?

1.) Europeans
2.) Asian
3.) pan americans
4.) African

Sorry if I’m missing any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is an "Oceania" as well which includes the Pacific islands and Australia and New Zealand.

The top three are definitely in the right order and there are big gaps between each

2 hours ago, Jim L said:

Do any of these wrestlers besides Cubans and Americans and I guess Canadians train full time?

What is the training situation in a country like Peru? Surely the wrestlers have to have another means of support. 

It feels like we are sending NBA players against the best players the local YMCA had to offer.

A referee I know pinned the national champion from the Dominican Republic while in high school (he didn't wrestle in college and wasn't a state champion).  I think that some countries fund athletics better than others.  Some have their guys and there is sort of a nominal process to make their team they send to these tournaments or worlds.  Like the guy who got obliterated by Taylor from the Bahamas.  He's the vice president for their federation.  I don't think that a lot of these guys treat it as a profession like we or Cuba do.  Venezuela started coming on strong because they invested a lot of money in coaches from Cuba and other places.  Then their country imploded due to mismanagement and corruption so their wrestling suffered.  

That said, I don't think it would be hard to create a solid wrestling program in a smaller country, but you would need the government to support you heavily.  I was overseas last summer in Nepal and met with their federation's president and vice president.  They actually wanted me to come help evaluate their wrestlers and give them some notes or suggestions on improvement.  Their major complaint was that the government had recently changed from a monarchy to a democratic government, so the main source of their funding was spent before it got to them by various levels of government.  That said, I was able to work out and evluate them a little.  They had some guys with raw talent, but the problem was their coach was a Pakistani who was a low level wrestler in India (don't ask me about that), and he seemed pretty content to warm up, stretch and wrestle live with little or no drilling.  The language barrier was a problem since I don't speak Nepali, but some small ideas seemed to convey.  But in terms of money Nepal is a very poor country. They can't even afford more than 2 wrestling mats in the entire country, their gear is nonexistent or mismatched, shoes included.  They only have enough to travel to one or two tournaments a year.  The wrestlers only gather to train in Kathmandu a few weeks prior to any tournament and are mostly from the rural areas, and if you haven't been there, traveling around is slow and relatively dangerous by road.  So that is sort of an idea of what wrestling is treated like in some foreign countries.  If their government funded them better, I think they would be pretty good.  But building a team like that is a very long term project and with the number of changes in their administration over the last 6 or 7 years, nothing is consistent like it was before when they had a monarchy.  I think that's why wrestling and other sports suffer a lot.  

13 hours ago, Peso said:

Does anyone know the criteria for qualifying our weight for 2020?  I may be mistaken, but I think this qualifies at some or all weights, but any help would be way cooler if I knew.

Top 5 at 2019 worlds, then top two at continental olympic qualifiers early spring 2020 and top 2 or 3 at a last-chance world olympic qualifier late spring 2020.

The only practical benefit to our Pan Am success this weekend is I believe more seeding points for those that wrestle at worlds later this year.

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Impressive performance from our guys. I probably would have penciled us in for 7 gold medals... to come away with all 10, and dominate all but a few matches was pretty spectacular from our group.  

I'm now very curious to see how Rodriguez and McCrystal do at the Open.  

Rodriguez and McCrystal will do "fairly" at the US Open.  I'd be surprised though if either placed.

20 hours ago, Peso said:

That was a remarkable performance by team USA.  We had a few quality wins but overall the competition was less than stellar.  I've been a part of and coached a few pretty good teams, and I've seen many, many great teams, but I've never seen anyone win every match they wrestled in a tournament. I believe I'm going to do a search for Mr Rodriquez and Mr McCrystal.  My track stream froze up through all of Kyle's championship match, but other than that, I enjoyed watching us pummel our way through this.  Would have been a bummer if JB lost, but man, is that the stuff heroes are made out of or what?  Does anyone know the criteria for qualifying our weight for 2020?  I may be mistaken, but I think this qualifies at some or all weights, but any help would be way cooler if I knew.

Rodriguez is a CA guy; wrestled for NDSU (R12-R16 type of guy but tough nonetheless). Moderate success wrestling international styles at the Junior level which is why we still see him competing today for the NLWC.

McCrystal is an IA guy; wrestled for Nebraska (also a R12-R16 type of guy). Still at Nebraska due to their successful freestyle RTC.