hammerlockthree

When is Hall gonna wrestle?

4 hours ago, cjc007 said:

He's running from the Kid!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You think Hall would be at 79 if he wrestled?  I assumed 74.

Either way, I don't see Hall making it to Finals X where he would see him anyway.

Very strange Hall isn't competing again.  Makes you wonder if he is done w/ FS and done with wrestling altogether after NCAAs next season.

You think Hall would be at 79 if he wrestled?  I assumed 74.
Either way, I don't see Hall making it to Finals X where he would see him anyway.
Very strange Hall isn't competing again.  Makes you wonder if he is done w/ FS and done with wrestling altogether after NCAAs next season.

He said he can't make 74 kg.

2 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

spencer lee as well what is up with him 

go from competing in every youth freestyle tourney to just stopping. sad

After the season he had, I think he deserves a summer of rest and development. 

Lee and Hall were two of our best youth hammers on the international circuit.

I want to believe that Sanderson and Brands know how to develop talent for that stage, however I am concerned that it will hurt them more than help them at this stage.

Maybe the boys are just trying to finish their semesters strong?

We can't (and probably shouldn't) know what these guys' goals and challenges are.

The only good thing about y'all writing them off is that they're probably going to come storming back in the next year or two and kick your dangling doubts back through your nostrils. Lee and Hall are total studs.

My guess is that they're achieving academic goals right now. That's not an easy thing to be a fan of on a USA wrestling discussion board, but our long NCAA season needs some reprieve, and the US Open is happening during finals week for many Universities. 

We can't (and probably shouldn't) know what these guys' goals and challenges are.
The only good thing about y'all writing them off is that they're probably going to come storming back in the next year or two and kick your dangling doubts back through your nostrils. Lee and Hall are total studs.
My guess is that they're achieving academic goals right now. That's not an easy thing to be a fan of on a USA wrestling discussion board, but our long NCAA season needs some reprieve, and the US Open is happening during finals week for many Universities. 
Hall is lazy.

8 hours ago, denger said:

I agree we don’t know what challenges they are going through, but many people publicly state their goals. I know I have heard Lee say he has World/Olympic aspirations. When wrestlers look healthy and great just a few weeks prior at the NCAA championships, it raises questions as to why they wouldn’t be wrestling freestyle now.

I’m pretty concerned about Lee. I really hope whatever kept him out last year and what may keep him out this year is something that can be corrected. If someone told me spencer Lee wouldn’t wrestle seniors until 2020 I wouldn’t have believed it. It makes no sense based on the info we have. 

Hall is surprising too. I expected him to go to the Open, but maybe he is planning on the WTT last chance qualifier? Seems nuts that he wouldn’t at least try to make the team at 79kg. He is probably #3 or #4 on the 79kg ladder but that isn’t the type of thing that stops him. It wouldn’t be that shocking for him to beat Zahid and with Ringer I think it is 50/50. Him beating Dake would be a surprise, but I don’t think Dake dominates him. Hall doesn’t attack as often as the rest of these guys but he tends to finish well and he has excellent match awareness, especially in freestyle. Even in folk, if Zahid was in another weight, Hall would almost certainly be a 3 time champ. Since his TF year he has only lost to Zahid. That’s pretty crazy and doemsntrates why credentials alone doesn’t tell the whole story. 

15 hours ago, denger said:

I highly doubt guys like Lee and Hall would do this. They would work around the freestyle schedule. 

Neither needs to attend the Open, so that could be why they aren’t prioritizing it. If Hall doesn’t show up to last chance and Lee doesn’t show up to WTT, that would be insane. I think it is reasonable to start questioning the Brands especially on why Lee hasn’t wrestled senior level ever and hasn’t wrestled a freestyle match in 3 years. If he takes this season off, it will be 4 years.

Having a talent like Lee, who has talked about world and Olympic gold since his childhood, burn out because of folk suggests we need changes to our system 

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

I highly doubt guys like Lee and Hall would do this. They would work around the freestyle schedule. 

Neither needs to attend the Open, so that could be why they aren’t prioritizing it. If Hall doesn’t show up to last chance and Lee doesn’t show up to WTT, that would be insane. I think it is reasonable to start questioning the Brands especially on why Lee hasn’t wrestled senior level ever and hasn’t wrestled a freestyle match in 3 years. If he takes this season off, it will be 4 years.

Having a talent like Lee, who has talked about world and Olympic gold since his childhood, burn out because of folk suggests we need changes to our system 

I don't know what happened last year.  He was probably the hottest wrestler in the country coming off of his run at NCAA's, and looked like a serious threat to make the team.  I can't recall which interview it was this year, but Spencer was recounting his freshman season and said something to the effect of "After I won my NCAA title I thought I was going to compete in freestyle............. but then that didn't happen."  Whole thing was weird.

This year though, based on all of the cryptic comments and "issues" he was dealing with, whatever they were... it doesn't surprise me he might need some time off. 

19 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

That was last year. If Iowa keeps protecting lee like this....I'm not sure it grows the brand. No pun intended.

I'm not sure I understand you. I meant he had a really tough exhausting season, probably the toughest of his life. Maybe he needs a break from the grind. Making a world team, training all summer to peak for worlds, then having to turn right back around for the college season is a big ask for these guys and one that a lot of fans take lightly. Did it hurt Penn State's brand last year when none of their guys attempted to make the team? None of their returning big guns (Hall, Cenzo, Cassar) are going again this year either. Is that going to hurt their brand going forward? Of course not.