hammerlockthree

When is Hall gonna wrestle?

On 4/22/2019 at 5:13 AM, cjc007 said:

Hall is lazy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yes.  He is very lazy.  Just think what he could accomplish if he actually worked hard.  I don't like to be a forum tough guy, but you are a idiot for making that statement.  

Hall won the Last Chance Tourney going 10-0, 10-0, 10-0, and 10-0. The final was over Chad Walsh who I thought would at least challenge a little bit, but no. Not bad for a "lazy" guy. 

Dean Heil beat Joey McKenna 5-2 in the final, thus preventing McKenna from wrestling at Trials. Nick Nevills is up soon in the final against a guy named Francisco, first name is not San. 

Edited by TBar1977

10 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Hall won the Last Chance Tourney going 10-0, 10-0, 10-0, and 10-0. The final was over Chad Walsh who I thought would at least challenge a little bit, but no. Not bad for a "lazy" guy. 

Dean Heil beat Joey McKenna 5-2 in the final, thus preventing McKenna from wrestling at Trials. Nick Nevills is up soon in the final against a guy named Francisco, first name is not San. 

Isn't it Ceron?

With a wicked accent from somewhere it sure sounds like San Fran Sis Co

Yes.  He is very lazy.  Just think what he could accomplish if he actually worked hard.  I don't like to be a forum tough guy, but you are a idiot for making that statement.  
Do you think he works hard? He's looks like he's not having any fun out there. Maybe burned out on dodgeball?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

On 4/26/2019 at 8:45 AM, ptz305 said:

Mark Hall is freestyle. 

This...

Anyone discounting Mark Hall vs. Zahid or Ringer is making a horrible miscalculation.  

If you watch Hall wrestle "average" NCAA wrestlers, it's a methodical plodding to victory.  It's as if he's going through the motions.  As if folkstyle is a means to an end. 

If you watch Hall wrestle "average" senior level freestyle wrestlers (like Walsh), it's a bloodbath.  It's as if he "lights up" and his motor actually turns on.

Hall in freestyle is INCREDIBLY dangerous.  Is he beating Dake?  I'm not saying that.  Is he beating Ringer or Zahid?  I "might" be saying that.

Why unfortunate? I’m assuming by the tone of your post that you’re rooting for Mark or at least greatly respect him. Isn’t it a good thing to be overlooked?

I do think it’s pretty understandable what people are saying so far. Nobody is saying Mark Hall sucks at freestyle. Ringer, if not for Dake, might be a world champion himself. He was ranked top 5 (I think it was actually higher) in the world by UWW for a good while. He has been an absolute murderer internationally. And then Zahid destroyed him. So that’s where the Zahid love is coming from. I don’t care how many close NCAA matches Hall and Zahid wrestled, it’s impossible to unsee what people saw last freestyle season from Zahid, who scored more points on Dake than the entirety of Dake’s other competitors that year together (a grand total of 0). Maybe Hall could’ve done the same thing, maybe not, but the last time Hall attempted a senior team spot, he got an unexpectedly tough welcome. 

Objectively, what makes Hall so good at freestyle is similar to what makes Dake so good. They are incredibly fundamentally strong and stingy with excellent athleticism who are the better scrambler 90%+ of the time. I’ve called Hall a younger Dake before. I think Dake is the better athlete and is mentally tougher but skill for skill, they are not on different planets. 

While guys like that are extremely dangerous at all times for anyone, guys like Zahid and Ringer are also extremely dangerous to them at all times. Winning by making no mistakes has the significant cost of needing to flip that strategy on its head when a mistake is made, and then you’re playing right into Zahid’s and Ringer’s strengths. 

Why unfortunate? I’m assuming by the tone of your post that you’re rooting for Mark or at least greatly respect him. Isn’t it a good thing to be overlooked?

I do think it’s pretty understandable what people are saying so far. Nobody is saying Mark Hall sucks at freestyle. Ringer, if not for Dake, might be a world champion himself. He was ranked top 5 (I think it was actually higher) in the world by UWW for a good while. He has been an absolute murderer internationally. And then Zahid destroyed him. So that’s where the Zahid love is coming from. I don’t care how many close NCAA matches Hall and Zahid wrestled, it’s impossible to unsee what people saw last freestyle season from Zahid, who scored more points on Dake than the entirety of Dake’s other competitors that year together (a grand total of 0). Maybe Hall could’ve done the same thing, maybe not, but the last time Hall attempted a senior team spot, he got an unexpectedly tough welcome. 

Objectively, what makes Hall so good at freestyle is similar to what makes Dake so good. They are incredibly fundamentally strong and stingy with excellent athleticism who are the better scrambler 90%+ of the time. I’ve called Hall a younger Dake before. I think Dake is the better athlete and is mentally tougher but skill for skill, they are not on different planets. 

While guys like that are extremely dangerous at all times for anyone, guys like Zahid and Ringer are also extremely dangerous to them at all times. Winning by making no mistakes has the significant cost of needing to flip that strategy on its head when a mistake is made, and then you’re playing right into Zahid’s and Ringer’s strengths. 

100% well put.

Dake, Zahid, And Ringer are top 10 in the world at 79kg.

Calling Hall 4th in the group,

after him taking last summer off, is respect.

If he upsets Zahid: awesome, If he upsets Zahid and Ringer, even cooler.

But if he loses to Zahid, no big deal, doesnt make him awful.

79kg domestically is just tough as nails (at the top)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Unfortunate only because we haven't been able to see him compete much in freestyle over that last few years.  I agree with essentially everything in your post.

Hall has a path to the world team this year the more I think about it. 

A lot has to go his way, but I think it’s possible. 1. Hall is a super elite athlete, both mentally and physically. He has always had his doubters but still managed to win 2 junior world titles and pretty clearly would be a 3 timer in college so far who didn’t redshirt if another super talent wasn’t there. 

2. He has a losing record to Zahid. However he is clearly competitive with Zahid and this is freestyle, which is where Hall is at his best. Zahid has had his lost success in folkstyle. He also may be able to avoid Zahid, although the only other guy in the field who can beat Zahid is sitting in the finals

3. Dieringer isn’t a lock over Hall. It is very interesting stylistically. I think Hall’s ducks will give Ringer problems. Plus Hall has crazy hips. He almost never gets blown through. Granted, Ringer is crazy powerful. 

4. Dake is the only one of the group that is almost impossible for Hall to beat if Dake is healthy and in shape. Dake has taken almost a year off, so he could be rusty. Hall would also have the PSU coaches to help him gameplan, but that has never helped Taylor. Dake is just freaky good. 

Still rooting for Dake because I want us to win a team title, but 79kg is a solid weight. We are 4 deep in medal contenders at a non Olympic weight between 2 weights with world/Olympic champs

I'll take Dake, Zahid and Dieringer over Hall but I think he will be competitive with all three of them. It's interesting how incredibly boring Hall is in folkstyle compared to free, I really don't understand how he can wrestle so differently but I do think he is a contender here.

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Hall has a path to the world team this year the more I think about it. 

A lot has to go his way, but I think it’s possible. 1. Hall is a super elite athlete, both mentally and physically. He has always had his doubters but still managed to win 2 junior world titles and pretty clearly would be a 3 timer in college so far who didn’t redshirt if another super talent wasn’t there. 

2. He has a losing record to Zahid. However he is clearly competitive with Zahid and this is freestyle, which is where Hall is at his best. Zahid has had his lost success in folkstyle. He also may be able to avoid Zahid, although the only other guy in the field who can beat Zahid is sitting in the finals

3. Dieringer isn’t a lock over Hall. It is very interesting stylistically. I think Hall’s ducks will give Ringer problems. Plus Hall has crazy hips. He almost never gets blown through. Granted, Ringer is crazy powerful. 

4. Dake is the only one of the group that is almost impossible for Hall to beat if Dake is healthy and in shape. Dake has taken almost a year off, so he could be rusty. Hall would also have the PSU coaches to help him gameplan, but that has never helped Taylor. Dake is just freaky good. 

Still rooting for Dake because I want us to win a team title, but 79kg is a solid weight. We are 4 deep in medal contenders at a non Olympic weight between 2 weights with world/Olympic champs

He is 2-2 against Zahid in competition isn't he?

21 hours ago, nhs67 said:

He is 2-2 against Zahid in competition isn't he?

2-2 in official NCAA competition

Zahid leads 3-2 if you include all-star match.

They've wrestled a few matches as kids with Zahid always winning.  I'm pretty sure the first time Mark beat Zahid in a match was in that NCAA semis.  

45 minutes ago, misterc said:

2-2 in official NCAA competition

Zahid leads 3-2 if you include all-star match.

They've wrestled a few matches as kids with Zahid always winning.  I'm pretty sure the first time Mark beat Zahid in a match was in that NCAA semis.  

Actually in post-match interview after Hall won his title two year ago he stated he never wrestled him in a match all their years and that it sucked seeing someone who was so close to him not be able to win a title.

So in matches not exhibition they are tied. 2-2.