OBXWrestler

Penn State’s Next Transcendent Guy(s)

When Taylor and Ruth (and even Q. Wright the year before them) many people thought (including myself) that their bonus production would decrease and we wouldn’t see guys like that in their lineup again. Then along came Zain, Nickal, Nolf. So, the question is who is next? 

They still have Mark Hall, Cenzo and Cassar. 

But could Nick Lee or RBY jump levels? Or will it be Aaron Brooks? Starocci? Beard?  

Any official word on whether Rasheed and Cassar will be coming back?

I haven't yet seen Starocci or Beard wrestle, but Brooks looks really good.

Edited by Katie

Yeah... if the over/under on Brooks, Beard, and Nevills came out as 8.5 total NCAA titles, I might just take the over.  That is right now.  I imagine if all three are able to 'redshirt' next season, that the over/under might be even higher. 

It is frightening that PSU's next 'duo' may actually be a 'trio' and they may be just as dominant as far as bonus point potential goes.

10 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Yeah... if the over/under on Brooks, Beard, and Nevills came out as 8.5 total NCAA titles, I might just take the over.  That is right now.  I imagine if all three are able to 'redshirt' next season, that the over/under might be even higher. 

It is frightening that PSU's next 'duo' may actually be a 'trio' and they may be just as dominant as far as bonus point potential goes.

Over/under 8.5 titles?  Come on man, that's absurd.  I like all three of those guys, and especially Brooks, but 8.5 is an outrageous number even by PSU's impossible standards.  

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

8.5 seems a bit unrealistic. I'd imagine it to be closer to 5.5-6.5...

Edited by yonz_g

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Over/under 8.5 titles?  Come on man, that's absurd.  I like all three of those guys, and especially Brooks, but 8.5 is an outrageous number even by PSU's impossible standards.  

1 hour ago, yonz_g said:

8.5 seems a bit unrealistic. I'd imagine it to be closer to 5.5-6.5...

Eh I am a bit excited at this string of dominance that Penn State keeps churning out(even as a Michigander).  I would concede that 6.5 is a fair bet on both sides.  I would definitely buy the over on that if they end up putting a redshirt on all three next year.

On 4/21/2019 at 9:48 PM, OBXWrestler said:

When Taylor and Ruth (and even Q. Wright the year before them) many people thought (including myself) that their bonus production would decrease and we wouldn’t see guys like that in their lineup again. Then along came Zain, Nickal, Nolf. So, the question is who is next? 

They still have Mark Hall, Cenzo and Cassar. 

But could Nick Lee or RBY jump levels? Or will it be Aaron Brooks? Starocci? Beard?  

Transcendent has very strong connotations and I would agree that the those five  (Talyort Ruth, Zain, Nickal, Nolf) meet the qualifications.  Q, Hall, Cenzo etc. do not.  To be transcendent, you have to be a lot better than everyone else and win in dominant fashion.  

I would say there is typically one or less wrestlers a year who are "transcendent".  Dake proved to be a better wrestler than Taylor but was not as spectacular, so I would argue he does not meet the criteria. Askren does, 

These guys are so rare that Penn State might not have another for a decade or more

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Nevills most likely wont win a title, same with beard. Brooks will win at least 2

26 minutes ago, Hwkfan4life said:

Nevills most likely wont win a title, same with beard. Brooks will win at least 2

Nevills is much better at this point than either of his brothers were.  If he redshirts, it gives him four more good years.  I see no reason he cannot win that gauntlet one or two times.

I don't see who right now has better prospects than Brooks and Beard at 184/197 respectively from 2021-2024.

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

LOL

48 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Nevills is much better at this point than either of his brothers were.  If he redshirts, it gives him four more good years.  I see no reason he cannot win that gauntlet one or two times.

I don't see who right now has better prospects than Brooks and Beard at 184/197 respectively from 2021-2024.

Is he?  I thought he was about on par with Nick.  He's also going to have to make it past guys like Gable, Schultz, Kerkvliet, Cassioppi, and even Parris.  Let's see how he does against Cass this weekend.  

Re: Beard, is he going to be better than Ferrari?  Amos?  I'm not sure about that.  

I'm on board the Brooks hype train, but penciling in 3 titles for anyone is just way too much, even your Hall's and Steveson's.  

6 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Steveson, Kirkvliet, and Schultz alone will break that math unless you see at least one 4x'er between Brooks and Beard.

15 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Steveson, Kirkvliet, and Schultz alone will break that math unless you see at least one 4x'er between Brooks and Beard.

Yeah. Thought we'd already adjusted the over/under to 6.5. I'm buying the over on 6.5.

23 hours ago, Jim L said:

I would say there is typically one or less wrestlers a year who are "transcendent".  Dake proved to be a better wrestler than Taylor but was not as spectacular, so I would argue he does not meet the criteria. Askren does, 

You're clearly not on twitter, where some people are saying Askren can't even outwrestle Colby Covington.

On 4/23/2019 at 1:19 PM, Jim L said:

Any definition of transcendent, which just means extraordinary, that excludes Dake is highly suspect at best. It is more transcendent to give up a literal handful of TDs a year in D1 than to bonus at a very high rate, which happens almost every single year.

By now, Dake has proven he has high octane offense to match or exceed any of the guys on that list when he pours it on. How many guys in the history of the sport have been able to keep the other guy from scoring any offensive points or held even elite level wrestlers glued to the mat for as long? It’s an exceptionally short list. 

Any definition of transcendent, which just means extraordinary, that excludes Dake is highly suspect at best. It is more transcendent to give up a literal handful of TDs a year in D1 than to bonus at a very high rate, which happens almost every single year.
By now, Dake has proven he has high octane offense to match or exceed any of the guys on that list when he pours it on. How many guys in the history of the sport have been able to keep the other guy from scoring any offensive points or held even elite level wrestlers glued to the mat for as long? It’s an exceptionally short list. 
Kyle Snyder while in college won 3 ncaas titles, 2 World Titles, and an Olympic Gold medal.

That's transcendent.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk