OBXWrestler

Penn State’s Next Transcendent Guy(s)

On 4/23/2019 at 9:43 AM, nhs67 said:

Yeah... if the over/under on Brooks, Beard, and Nevills came out as 8.5 total NCAA titles, I might just take the over.  That is right now.  I imagine if all three are able to 'redshirt' next season, that the over/under might be even higher. 

It is frightening that PSU's next 'duo' may actually be a 'trio' and they may be just as dominant as far as bonus point potential goes.

Over 8.5 titles is LOL funny. HWT and 197 are absolutely stacked for the next few years. So you’re betting those 3 have the same success as Retherford, Nolf and Nickal? Just look at the weight classes for the top seniors in last year and this year’s class...unusually tilted to the heavier weights.

O/U should be 5 or maybe 5.5. 

2 minutes ago, MDogg said:

Over 8.5 titles is LOL funny. HWT and 197 are absolutely stacked for the next few years. So you’re betting those 3 have the same success as Retherford, Nolf and Nickal? Just look at the weight classes for the top seniors in last year and this year’s class...unusually tilted to the heavier weights.

O/U should be 5 or maybe 5.5. 

Did you not read any further than that post? I conceded 6.5 was more realistic and took the over, specifically if they all 'redshirt' next season.

22 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Any definition of transcendent, which just means extraordinary, that excludes Dake is highly suspect at best. It is more transcendent to give up a literal handful of TDs a year in D1 than to bonus at a very high rate, which happens almost every single year.

By now, Dake has proven he has high octane offense to match or exceed any of the guys on that list when he pours it on. How many guys in the history of the sport have been able to keep the other guy from scoring any offensive points or held even elite level wrestlers glued to the mat for as long? It’s an exceptionally short list. 

from Merriam-Webster

Definition of transcendent

1a : exceeding usual limits : surpassing
b : extending or lying beyond the limits of ordinary experience
c in Kantian philosophy : being beyond the limits of all possible experience and knowledge
2 : being beyond comprehension

Dake meets definition #1 but so do most D1 champs.  I my connotation of transcedent is more of #2.

On 4/23/2019 at 1:14 PM, nhs67 said:

Nevills is much better at this point than either of his brothers were.  If he redshirts, it gives him four more good years.  I see no reason he cannot win that gauntlet one or two times.

I don't see who right now has better prospects than Brooks and Beard at 184/197 respectively from 2021-2024.

His best win was hemida, when hemida was in slump losing to most hwts. Hes not going to beat steveson, kerk, cass, schultz, parris, hilger, etc

21 minutes ago, Jim L said:

2 : being beyond comprehension

Dake meets definition #1 but so do most D1 champs.  I my connotation of transcedent is more of #2.

Eye of the beholder, I guess. It’s incomprehensible to me that he gave up so few offensive points against the competition he faced. I’ve always found impenetrable defense to be more impressive, maybe because I wasn’t so good at it myself. When I first learned about Dan Gable, the stat that stuck to my head the most was that he didn’t give up any points at the Olympics. That’s pretty transcendent to me. 

If they redshirt RBY and Lee, olympic redshirt Joseph and Hall and of course redshirt their deferred enrolled greyshirts (eye roll) because they got 6 year exemptions for undergrads (and a transfer), then I think PSU has several transcendent guys in the future.

Hard to beat 25 year olds with the normal 22-23 year olds.

Edited by Boompa