Housebuye

Yianni’s US Open Draw

That guy always gets the hardest draws. 

If pre-seeds gold, he will have:

Meredith - a winnable match for Yianni. This is a reasonable first round matchup - Meredith is no joke but you should expect virtually every match at this level to be tough. Meredith is good and Yianni squeaked by him in folk, but I expect free not to be as close.

molinaro - 5th in the Olympics. He only has this seed because he couldn’t beat out James Green at 70kg. He is about as likely to win the world team spot as anyone else. 

JO - in the semis? Was hoping for finals but to be fair all top 4 are amazing. Yianni would only be a favorite over McKenna  

then finals vs Zain I’m guessing

Everyone is good at this level but holy crap what a crazy way to make his senior debut  

Edited by Housebuye

Well, like the old saying goes - if you want to win it, you have to go through them all anyway........or something like that.

So yeah, agree, looks like a tough draw. But if Yianni wants to beat Otoguro, Bajrang and all the other 65's, he has to get through this country first, obviously. 

As always, this weight class should be very exciting both domestically and at World's.

8 minutes ago, 2td3nf said:

Well, like the old saying goes - if you want to win it, you have to go through them all anyway........or something like that.

So yeah, agree, looks like a tough draw. But if Yianni wants to beat Otoguro, Bajrang and all the other 65's, he has to get through this country first, obviously. 

As always, this weight class should be very exciting both domestically and at World's.

Well, Yianni is facing Bajrang in a couple of weeks, no matter the outcome of the US Open...

2 minutes ago, klehner said:

Well, Yianni is facing Bajrang in a couple of weeks, no matter the outcome of the US Open...

Yes I know, and that is pretty cool Yianni gets a shot at the 2018 World silver medalist.

Still not sure if I want to go to MSG or just watch it on Flo at home. If there's a chance I could meet and shake hands with Jordan Burroughs and Ben Askren, I'd be there in a second.   :D     A few years ago at Times Square BTS I got to meet so many of our wrestling and coaching stars. It was awesome. Have a feeling security will be very tight at MSG and we won't get near any wrestlers, except for maybe Daniel Cormier.  :D

Sorry to digress on your thread Housebuye, so to bring it back, 65kg should be a wild bracket at the Open. Also looking forward to the betting odds on this weight class.

11 minutes ago, Coach_J said:

Entertaining weight and great bouts await.  On the international level, still not sure; we abound in fringe medal possibilities.  Can't wait for this competition to begin!

It is historically our weakest weight. Hoping to start correcting that this year. We have 3-4 guys who could medal at worlds at 65kg, but none are a lock. The weight is that stacked. 

13 hours ago, Housebuye said:

That guy always gets the hardest draws. 

If pre-seeds gold, he will have:

Mitch McKee - junior world silver, a match Yianni should win but not the first round match anyone wants. McKee at his best is world level (clearly)

molinaro - 5th in the Olympics. He only has this seed because he couldn’t beat out James Green at 70kg. He is about as likely to win the world team spot as anyone else. 

JO - in the semis? Was hoping for finals but to be fair all top 4 are amazing. Yianni would only be a favorite over McKenna  

then finals vs Zain I’m guessing

Everyone is good at this level but holy crap what a crazy way to make his senior debut  

5 vs. 12 in the round of 16 would mean a 2018 NCAA title rematch of Yianni vs. Meredith--not McKee (who is pre-seeded 16).

16 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

It is historically our weakest weight. Hoping to start correcting that this year. We have 3-4 guys who could medal at worlds at 65kg, but none are a lock. The weight is that stacked. 

And historically many years it’s the deepest, so that plays a role why we haven’t medaled in a while.  

13 hours ago, klehner said:

This is an incredible style matchup. I think this match pushed my friend in nyc to buy a ticket. I have been hyping up Bajrang in general becuase he is fun to watch and now he happens to be coming to the US and is going against one of our best and most exciting young guys. This match will be insane. 

Americans tend to do really well vs foreigners at BTS. While Bajrang is a big favorite, I think Yianni has a real chance here. 

Bajrang just finished off a gold medal at the Asian championships a few minutes ago by the way. He smashed a decent Biabani of Iran and Khasanov of Uzbekistan on the way to the final. Kazakh Okassov was very game in the final, picking up 3 single leg takedowns with tree top finishes in building a 7-2 lead before Bajrang's conditioning won him the match in a runaway in the final 2 minutes...12-7 the final score.

2 hours ago, maligned said:

Bajrang just finished off a gold medal at the Asian championships a few minutes ago by the way. He smashed a decent Biabani of Iran and Khasanov of Uzbekistan on the way to the final. Kazakh Okassov was very game in the final, picking up 3 single leg takedowns with tree top finishes in building a 7-2 lead before Bajrang's conditioning won him the match in a runaway in the final 2 minutes...12-7 the final score.

Wow, World champ Otoguro not in the Asian 65kg field for Japan. They entered Shimizu?

28 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

I predict Bajrang will ring Yianni's bell... 

I think Yianni is slick enough to hang with Bajrang but can he keep up with Bajrang's pace for 6 minutes? Bajrang has a great gas tank. 

Yianni's gas tank is pretty good too. Wonderful matchup. Can Yianni outscore him in the 6 minutes?

18 minutes ago, 2td3nf said:

I think Yianni is slick enough to hang with Bajrang but can he keep up with Bajrang's pace for 6 minutes? Bajrang has a great gas tank. 

Yianni's gas tank is pretty good too. Wonderful matchup. Can Yianni outscore him in the 6 minutes?

This is exactly why I think Yianni has a fairly good shot. Yianni makes the weight easily and rarely gasses. JO was up on Bajrang until he gassed and then got killed. Sounds like something similar happened in the asian finals. Add to that that this is BTS, where American's typically outperform foreigners even in upsets, and the formula is there for Yianni to win. It would still be a fairly significant upset of course.

Bajrang will get to his offense against Yianni at some point, but Yianni scores late against good guys all the time. That seems to be his style. Bajrang cannot rely on his cardio to win this thing. 

If this was a match against Chakaev I'd be way less confident in Yianni. Styles really matter at this level in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

This is exactly why I think Yianni has a fairly good shot. Yianni makes the weight easily and rarely gasses. JO was up on Bajrang until he gassed and then got killed. Sounds like something similar happened in the asian finals. Add to that that this is BTS, where American's typically outperform foreigners even in upsets, and the formula is there for Yianni to win. It would still be a fairly significant upset of course.

Bajrang will get to his offense against Yianni at some point, but Yianni scores late against good guys all the time. That seems to be his style. Bajrang cannot rely on his cardio to win this thing. 

If this was a match against Chakaev I'd be way less confident in Yianni. Styles really matter at this level in my opinion.

There is also the fact that Bajrang will be traveling halfway around the world, and Yianni will be in his own back yard.  He will be in shape though, given his recent competition (vs. some of the foreign wrestlers that have shown up in pretty bad shape).  Even if they are in shape, some of the foreign guys treat BTS like a paid vacation and a chance to check out the NYC nightlife.  

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

There is also the fact that Bajrang will be traveling halfway around the world, and Yianni will be in his own back yard.  He will be in shape though, given his recent competition (vs. some of the foreign wrestlers that have shown up in pretty bad shape).  Even if they are in shape, some of the foreign guys treat BTS like a paid vacation and a chance to check out the NYC nightlife.  

For sure. Big advantage on that front for Yianni. I’m glad Bajrang is in shape. That is his best weapon vs the top guys. 

Maybe I’m insane, but if Yianni beats Meredith, whom he “should” beat in freestyle, I think Yianni matches up decently against short and stocky Molinaro. Per his own admission, JO is probably too much right now, especially since they’re very familiar with each other. 

30 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Maybe I’m insane, but if Yianni beats Meredith, whom he “should” beat in freestyle, I think Yianni matches up decently against short and stocky Molinaro. Per his own admission, JO is probably too much right now, especially since they’re very familiar with each other. 

Where did he say JO is probably too much right now? I thought he said they go back and forth in the Flo interview, but I could be wrong. 

5 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Where did he say JO is probably too much right now? I thought he said they go back and forth in the Flo interview, but I could be wrong. 

He told Flo that JO beats him the majority of the time but he does have some good days.

1 hour ago, Relentless125 said:

He told Flo that JO beats him the majority of the time but he does have some good days.

JO is  significantly larger than Yanni, I feel like him making 65 kg same day could be a game changer.

2 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

It didn't dawn on you that in every interview he has ever done he has been extremely humble and respectful towards his past, present, and future opponents?

Also, I am sure he doesn't want to run his mouth about his training partner and mentor that he'll be rolling with for at least the next two college seasons.

He knows he has the skills to defeat him. Oliver also knows this. It will be a good match, in one I think will be much like the first time Zain and Tank went H2H. If they meet I do have Oliver winning. However it will be very close.