Sign in to follow this  
GranbyTroll

Jon Jay Chavez 82kg/180lb

59 minutes ago, GranbyTroll said:

How is this the ideal weight for him? He made the world team last year at 72kg/158lb and he was an D1 AA at 165lb... and now he's looking pretty thick up a 82kg/180lb. What's the deal with the massive bump up?

He likes to eat and he likes to wrestle GR?

Comparatively?  When these athletes are trying to maximize what would be their athletic prime?  Yes.

Bey is longer and better at everything in Greco.  I was particularly surprised Manville didn't make the jump to 82 as well or at least make a proper attempt at dropping.

27 minutes ago, GranbyTroll said:

Kendrick Sanders just crushed Chavez, so I guess it didn't work out. 

Bey would have done it worse.

Controversial attitude, or not, he is the present and the future in Greco for us.

15 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Bey would have done it worse.

Controversial attitude, or not, he is the present and the future in Greco for us.

When is the last time one of these young, explosive athletes won a world medal after stepping up to seniors? 

35 minutes ago, ohcomeon said:

When is the last time one of these young, explosive athletes won a world medal after stepping up to seniors? 

You can google just as well as I can, I'm sure.  So google it yourself. Nowhere did I say Bey was a shoe-in to medal or a lock to medal at any point in his future.  All I said was he was the present and the future.  What in the last two years of domestic competition makes you say otherwise?  There isn't anybody in our pipeline that looks to be able to sniff him prior to Oly Trials, nor is there anyone coming up who will do so within the next couple of years after that.  So unless he gets hurt(possible) or someone comes out of nowhere, he is the present and the future of our US Greco Roman team, at whichever weight he chooses.  72, 77, or 82.  I don't see him getting bigger than 82 in any way shape or form any time soon.

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Comparatively?  When these athletes are trying to maximize what would be their athletic prime?  Yes.

Bey is longer and better at everything in Greco.  I was particularly surprised Manville didn't make the jump to 82 as well or at least make a proper attempt at dropping.

Manville and Bey have had a pretty fun rivalry over the last few years; they're 1-1 in terms of making a Senior World Team.

3 hours ago, yonz_g said:

Manville and Bey have had a pretty fun rivalry over the last few years; they're 1-1 in terms of making a Senior World Team.

That Manville win was when Bey kinda stopped wrestling after getting hit in the head pretty hard. He didn't look right in that match and gave it up. 

Manville didn't make the finals tonight. Lost to Pat Smith.