Jump to content
nhs67

US Open Senior Men's Freestyle discussion thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Somebody yelling "PUSH/PULL" and calling for stalling every 5 seconds doesn't win matches as much?

Really?  The best Iowa wrestlers under Gable wrestled very much like Zain and Nolf. 

 

Edited by headache

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

** How good is Wick? Pinned Marinelli and then lost to him for third fourth at NCAAs. He lost 5-2 to Lewis in the semis and looked like he might be able to beat him on the right day. 

Marstellar, my man.

That being said I don't ever see Wick being an elite freestyle wrestler. He may always win against tough guys, but his style of wrestling will never excel on the international scene.

Massa on the other hand? He is just as perplexing as Valencia at this point. He can go with anyone and then get teched like he is nothing. He seems to have never mentally recovered from his injury two collegiate seasons ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Marstellar, my man.

That being said I don't ever see Wick being an elite freestyle wrestler. He may always win against tough guys, but his style of wrestling will never excel on the international scene.

Massa on the other hand? He is just as perplexing as Valencia at this point. He can go with anyone and then get teched like he is nothing. He seems to have never mentally recovered from his injury two collegiate seasons ago.

My bad. Marstellar, of course! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nolf made 1 mental error (first noticeable one I've seen him make in 3 years) and it cost him. Had Green dead to rights. 
Gotta give Green credit though. Kept coming, was very savvy. I would wager anyone else in the weight would have lost to Nolf in that situation.  
Idk if Nolf takes the weight this year, but he's coming. This is going to be great rivalry. 
My take away from the match was that Nolf is probably the better wrestler right now but Green is more savvy. I thought this would be the year Nolf eclipses Green but he may not be there yet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people are underestimating Green. He’s a two-time medalist. 

To put that into perspective, none of the NCAA stars who represented us at 65kg have medaled in 12 years. 

Life goes on. Many people improve even after college ends. Green is one of those guys. 

Nolf is a stud. But so is Green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, headache said:

Really?  The best Iowa wrestlers under Gable wrestled very much like Zain and Nolf. 

 

What Gable-era Hawkeye wrestled like Nolf? 

Nolf uses funk. And funk wasn’t really a thing until the 00s (although a few guys used it before then).

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Katie said:

What Gable-era Hawkeye wrestled like Nolf? 

Nolf uses funk. And funk wasn’t really a thing until the 00s (although a few guys used it before then).

So Nolf is a funk wrestler? I wasn't aware. I thought he was a high pace, super offense type, 7 minutes of hell wrestler.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Katie said:

What Gable-era Hawkeye wrestled like Nolf? 

Nolf uses funk. And funk wasn’t really a thing until the 00s (although a few guys used it before then).

I’d say Lincoln McIlravy was pretty comparable at least in terms of his pace and constantly attacking style 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, headache said:

So Nolf is a funk wrestler? I wasn't aware. I thought he was a high pace, super offense type, 7 minutes of hell wrestler.  

 

I'm saying he uses funk. Do you disagree?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

Long blink.

I took my eye off that match to watch Seth Nevills get a 10-0 tech in Juniors. Should have known better than to divert my attention with guys that can end things with one movement. 

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LemonPie said:

Kollin Moore was such an exciting prospect as a Junior a couple years ago.  WTF happened?

Is Ohio State as good as a room for freestyle now that Roselli is gone? Moore seems to have regressed, Gilman has clearly widened the gap on Nato, and Steiber suddenly retires after looking like a shell of his former self.

 

Snyder gonna Snyder but you have to wonder...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

When’s the last time you’ve watched Americans?   Times are changing. Russians are much more technical than Guys like Burroughs, Taylor, Dake, Cox and even Yianni?  I think guys like Taylor, Dake and Yianni may be more technical than the Russians. Combine that with being in shape and it’s very hard to deal with. 

An exception (or two or three) doesn't make the rule.  Yes, those three wrestlers are very technically astute.  When was the last time you watched the Russians?  And for the record, I'm not a fan of the Russians although I can appreciate some of the things they do.  Yes, conditioning is a great strength of American wrestlers, especially coming off the college season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

Is Ohio State as good as a room for freestyle now that Roselli is gone? Moore seems to have regressed, Gilman has clearly widened the gap on Nato, and Steiber suddenly retires after looking like a shell of his former self.

 

Snyder gonna Snyder but you have to wonder...

Zillmer is a stud cmon. I think he could beat Nickal. Moore will be fine and compete for a spot. I doubt just because of our team that Moore will ever make a world team. Our team may be the best it has ever been in the history of our team. Especially in the upper weights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Katie said:

What Gable-era Hawkeye wrestled like Nolf? 

Nolf uses funk. And funk wasn’t really a thing until the 00s (although a few guys used it before then).

Here's a Gable guy who was funkier than Nolf:

--(Best one, but couldn't find a YouTube link) vs. 6X World Team Member/World Gold Melvin Douglas.  Start at 7:15 for highlight real:

https://www.flowrestlinGg.org/video/5173020-167lbs-melvin-douglas-vs-rico-chiapparelli-1983-iowa-university-vs-oklahoma-university

--These two Youtube vids are teed up for highlights: 
A.) NCAA Finals 
B.) Vs. Russian World Champ Jabrailov

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×