nhs67

US Open Senior Men's Freestyle discussion thread

USA Wrestling has come a long way over the past 10 years, and their performance in Budapest which I was able to attend was stellar despite taking a very close second place to a really good Russia team. The added weights help. But the addition of Yianni at 65kg and Daton Fix at 57kg can make all the difference. These guys have consistently found ways to win, scrambles, shot clocks, etc. Like Metcalf before them we've seen some of USA's greatest fall short at the highest levels, and Stieber and Gilman are examples of super strong wrestlers not getting it done on the world stage. Maybe Yianni and Fix will help Team USA close the narrow gap with Russia. Of course, Bo Nickal is a great addition at 92kg, but who can complain about Cox. Same is true at 61kg with Colon.

USA Wrestling has come a long way over the past 10 years, and their performance in Budapest which I was able to attend was stellar despite taking a very close second place to a really good Russia team. The added weights help. But the addition of Yianni at 65kg and Daton Fix at 57kg can make all the difference. These guys have consistently found ways to win, scrambles, shot clocks, etc. Like Metcalf before them we've seen some of USA's greatest fall short at the highest levels, and Stieber and Gilman are examples of super strong wrestlers not getting it done on the world stage. Maybe Yianni and Fix will help Team USA close the narrow gap with Russia. Of course, Bo Nickal is a great addition at 92kg, but who can complain about Cox. Same is true at 61kg with Colon.

Stieber is a UWW Senior world champ while Gilman earned a world silver medal.

Two guys who you should have mentioned would be Tank Molinaro and Train Retherford. Neither one of those guys will ever medal at senior worlds. One dimensional folkstyle technique wrestlers. Neither improved their technique while being surpassed by younger wrestlers.

All the money in the world won't win a world title, neither will spending 6 yrs in the NCAA. The greats win worlds at 20 yrs old. They don't defer. They engage.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

All due respect to Stieber and Burroughs they are approaching the final stage of their careers at the highest levels, and to Yianni's point, we are starting to see younger top athletes win with new amazing techniques. I'm guessing that FLO and Youtube have played a major part with technique and increased awareness of what it takes to succeed at the highest levels. You can also attribute FLO Youtube to the success in the pipeline of camps, to HS, to college, and the competitions that cross state lines, and the recruitment benefits. Wrestling was always a great sport. I think fringe sports like ours and the other sports that FLO promotes benefit the most (track, swimming, gymnastics, etc) from today's internet advancements.

All due respect to Stieber and Burroughs they are approaching the final stage of their careers at the highest levels, and to Yianni's point, we are starting to see younger top athletes win with new amazing techniques. I'm guessing that FLO and Youtube have played a major part with technique and increased awareness of what it takes to succeed at the highest levels. You can also attribute FLO Youtube to the success in the pipeline of camps, to HS, to college, and the competitions that cross state lines, and the recruitment benefits. Wrestling was always a great sport. I think fringe sports like ours and the other sports that FLO promotes benefit the most (track, swimming, gymnastics, etc) from today's internet advancements.

USA Wrestling should be commended for promoting the Olympic Styles to our youth about 25 yes ago. The serious wrestlers wrestler freestyle and Greco through out the Spring and Summer. It's great to see talent being developed through out the country with great club coaches. Illinois and Minnesota have made tremendous strides in freestyle and Greco. Them plus NY, NJ, PA, Ohio, California have excellent youth programs. The kids are getting top notch technique at 7 yrs old. By the time they're 17, they've had 10 seasons of free and Greco to supplement folkstyle. All the young dudes use the Olympic techniques in folkstyle so they translate easily to folkstyle.

It's a great time for USA Wrestling!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Deakin won but Green could very easily turn that around next time if it happens, especially 2/3.   

Greeb’s biggest threat is Nolf. Whoever wins WTT beats Deakin imo.   

Whoever is the rep at 70 needs to be consistent.  I don't think guys have to be at 100% all the time.  But you can't be below 90% percent at any time, so to speak. 

The line-up is still up for grabs at a few weights, but this looks like another contender for greatest US Team of all time.  I believe our freestyle and folkstyle are both the best they have ever been.  Female wrestling is exploding at every level and some of us manly men are even contemplating a uniform where our money maker isn't quite so visible.  No doubt we are gaining prestige from the world of mixed martial arts.  We are trending up.

A little side note here and I’m probably sounding like a whiner but gosh seems like every big wrestling tournament, the post match interviews are constantly in competition with the PA announcer. Makes it difficult and annoying to listen to. Way too much noise throughout the interview. Can’t they take the athletes somewhere where there is less, or even better, no noise?

33 minutes ago, 2td3nf said:

A little side note here and I’m probably sounding like a whiner but gosh seems like every big wrestling tournament, the post match interviews are constantly in competition with the PA announcer. Makes it difficult and annoying to listen to. Way too much noise throughout the interview. Can’t they take the athletes somewhere where there is less, or even better, no noise?

I clicked on the Nickal interview and listened for about 10 seconds and then promptly closed the window. Not worth the head ache. 

1 hour ago, 2td3nf said:

A better solution is for the announcer to shut his/her pie hole and pipe the interview through the PA.