nhs67

US Open Senior Men's Freestyle discussion thread

If Green beats Deakin, would Nolf have the opportunity to wrestle Deakin for "true second"? From what I understand both 1st & 2nd at 70kg will compete at FinalX.
No. There's the wtt's and then the final X. Only the winner of the weight gets the bye. Other has to wrestle at the wtt's.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This gonn' be gooood.

So far Gilman-Fix. We know what we're getting there.

Nico-Brewer. Is Nico still only training part time? Insane if he is. Very much looking forward to this one.

YD vs ZR? Color me intrigued.

As I said earlier, I don't see anyone beating Nolf in a best of 3. If Deakin beats Green, then Green beats Nolf at the Trials again? I see that as the only way Nolf isn't our rep.

Brush off that he was a 2xer who couldn't beat Joseph all you want...IMAR has solidified himself as our current 2nd best 74kg guy. He has made great strides since he has gone to training full time.

This gonn' be gooood.
Nico-Brewer. Is Nico still only training part time? Insane if he is. Very much looking forward to this one.
As I said earlier, I don't see anyone beating Nolf in a best of 3. If Deakin beats Green, then Green beats Nolf at the Trials again? I see that as the only way Nolf isn't our rep.
Brush off that he was a 2xer who couldn't beat Joseph all you want...IMAR has solidified himself as our current 2nd best 74kg guy. He has made great strides since he has gone to training full time.
First Burroughs, now Green with last second double leg takedowns! Wow!!

This gonn' be gooood.

Interestingly enough, we could see something odd play out at 70kg.

I don't think we will, but Chamberlain could beat Nolf then lose his 3rd/4th place bout.

If Deakin were to beat Green, that would set Nolf up to be the 4 seed at the WTT again.

Even if Molinaro and/or Oliver were to try and give 70kg a go at the last chance qualifier the furthest that drops Nolf to is 5 and puts him on the same side as Green again.

This is all a moot point. Green should win and even if he doesn't Nolf should take 3rd.

But if he doesn't.....

38 minutes ago, Underhook said:

Saw on USA wrestling twitter that Tomasello was disqualified against Gilman after being down 9-0. Anyone watching see what NATO did to get DQ’d?

Three cautions gave up a point, to reach 10-0.

I keep rewatching clips of Yanni and Oliver and am no less floored by what this guy can do--it just ain't fair.  Flexibility, mat sense, agility and balance that are freakish.  I would say he lacks strength or physical maturity but based on what he's doing what the hell does it matter???

For the record, I am picking Zain.

This being said, if YD does to Zain what he has done to GHulk and JO, does anyone who makes the WTT at 65 give 70 last chance qualifiers a go?

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

For the record, I am picking Zain.

This being said, if YD does to Zain what he has done to GHulk and JO, does anyone who makes the WTT at 65 give 70 last chance qualifiers a go?

Yianni knew where he stood having JO as a practice partner it’s no fluke kids turned heads since his section 5 days.

3 minutes ago, matts1w said:

When did your ever think you would see PD3 beat someone with conditioning?  Good for him.

I don't think Downey took that as much as Martin lost it.

I'm ready to see someone fly in Heflin-Downey, though. Happy to see that match as well.

Oliver is never going to be the rep guys, he's a mental midget and lacks the grit in competitions. He's probably the best practice guy you've ever seen no one more talented, but he just doesn't have the it factor. Yanni does. Yanni lives for the big moment. Oliver may be one of those guys that if he ever stepped into the octagon would get taken down and people would say I thought he was a wrestler ? kinda like Ed Ruth. Same problem with Ed in freestyle.

2 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Sadly, I think your Ruth comparison is a good one. I can’t believe Yianni beat JO this year. Yianni being special is no secret, but he’s what, 19 years old? Not a Russian 19 but a legit 19. Or at most barely 20. 

I’m picking Yianni over Zain. 

Lol