nhs67

US Open Senior Men's Freestyle discussion thread

Zain is a different kind of force than Frank the Tank.   Yianni will have his Houdini hands full.   Eierman and Mckenna can keep it close with Yianni.  Zain is a tough as nails beast.

Edited by dmm53

I thought Yianni was a future medalist when I saw him wrestle for the first time last year.  He reminds of a European wrestler somehow.

It’ll be exciting to see how he stacks up with Zain.  I’m picking Zain to win, but I would not be shocked to see Yianni win.

Yianni’s match against Punia will also be super interesting to see.

Edited by Katie

1 minute ago, Katie said:

I thought Yianni was a future medalist when I saw him wrestle for the first time last year.  He reminds of a European wrestler somehow.

It’ll be exciting to see how he stacks up with Zain.  I’m picking Zain to win, but I would not be shocked to see Yianni win.

Yianni grew up watching the Europeans, particularly the Russians.  His style is similar.  More finesse and technique.

2 minutes ago, Katie said:

It’ll be exciting to see how he stacks up with Zain.  I’m still picking Zain tomorrow, but I would not be shocked to see Yianni win.

Is it the dark hair?

2 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

Yianni grew up watching the Europeans, particularly the Russians.  His style is similar.  More finesse and technique.

Also a more relaxed stance like a lot of the Europeans.  Almost as bait since they are a threat from every position as is Yianni.

2 minutes ago, misterc said:

Also a more relaxed stance like a lot of the Europeans.  Almost as bait since they are a threat from every position as is Yianni.

Yes.  You get the sense that some Europeans are stealthy cats who scoff at the frenetic pace and wild movement of many more wild dog-like American wrestlers.

6 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I know Green won but I felt like Nolf controlled that match, and with some experience and more mat awareness Nolf gives up the 1 their and not the 2. I have a feeling Greens days are numbered 

Yea, disappointed Nolf lost.  Thought he had it won.  I want to see a replay to see if Green's four early on was legitimate.  Maybe it was, but it was a quick call.

19 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

Yea, disappointed Nolf lost.  Thought he had it won.  I want to see a replay to see if Green's four early on was legitimate.  Maybe it was, but it was a quick call.

If you watched it on flo already, go into floarena, find the match in the bracket, and click on it.  You can see the match again.  That said, the angle isn't great to see what angle Nolf's back was when he hit the mat.  It's close.  He clearly did rotate over once on the mat.  The continuation stuff out of bounds is interesting in freestyle.  Lots of leeway given.

32 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

Yes.  You get the sense that some Europeans are stealthy cats who scoff at the frenetic pace and wild movement of many more wild dog-like American wrestlers.

Good point.  We only have six active world champions and nine world medalists. We suck.

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Sadly, I think your Ruth comparison is a good one. I can’t believe Yianni beat JO this year. Yianni being special is no secret, but he’s what, 19 years old? Not a Russian 19 but a legit 19. Or at most barely 20. 

I’m picking Yianni over Zain. 

Don't forget about Pico who was like still in high school. JO had no business losing that match. You shouldn't lose to someone that young unless they are far more talented. 

31 minutes ago, cangemi said:

Nolf played it close. I just was nervous that **** would happen. Kudos Green made it happen.

End of Day maybe Nolf not ready

I don't think Nolf is ready but he has upside and Green I think his best days are behind him. 

Nolf is going to progress at a much higher rate if he gets on this world team. 

Zain is tough as hell, but he is mainly tough as hell beating you senseless on the mat in folkstyle. Freestyle, especially against a guy like Yianni who has a hard six minutes in him every match, doesn't really maximize that physicality. It's less of a grinder's style.

Zain is obviously the favorite and a big test, but I don't think Yianni loses because he gets manhandled.