Sign in to follow this  
Peso

Media bias for wrestling

You cannot convince me that there is not a market for wrestling out there.   The explosion on the female high school level alone is going to add thousands of more eyes on our sport.  If I'm not mistaken, NCAA men's DI Championships have taken proven their worth and the Big 10 network, etc, must be doing well with their following.  A hell of a lot of people subscribe to cable or sat packages because they get to watch the Big 10 wrestling.  It's time for the next step.  It's only going to grow for whomever captures the market.  Please give us professionally produced packages with NCAA Wrestling, Men's Freestyle, Women's Freestyle, Junior Freestyle.  Common sense tells me that a weekly wrestling broadcast of only a 15 minute sit down with interesting wrestling people/stories/match analysis, etc. and a commentator like JB or maybe one of the Flo guys could build this into a multi-million dollar endeavor in no time at all.  I would think ESPN or Fox Sports would be super excited to pick up a sport going through an explosion of popularity.  You bring a whole new set of demographics into the equation.  I wouldn't want to watch matches with 50 people in the stands, but we have an attractive product out there.  Surely there is a market  analysis out there that  would suggest that with good promotion, we could steal a certain percentage of billions of dollars from less watched programming.  I believe with minimal promotion our viewing audience at the NCAA Championships becomes the baseline  viewing audience for a dozen or so events a year.  Focusing on the majors like golf and tennis do would be a nice strategy.  I don't understand why this isn't front and center for someone who controls broadcast decisions.  Is there a lobby system like the one that exploits our congress for the best laws that money can buy?  Do certain decisions revolve around which audiences may lose fan support also?  It just makes no sense to me that in order to watch something that has a modest but exploding fan base like our US Open, we have to fiddle fart with memberships and ppv.  Rant over, thanks for listening :--)

8 hours ago, Peso said:

You cannot convince me that there is not a market for wrestling out there.   The explosion on the female high school level alone is going to add thousands of more eyes on our sport.  If I'm not mistaken, NCAA men's DI Championships have taken proven their worth and the Big 10 network, etc, must be doing well with their following.  A hell of a lot of people subscribe to cable or sat packages because they get to watch the Big 10 wrestling.  It's time for the next step.  It's only going to grow for whomever captures the market.  Please give us professionally produced packages with NCAA Wrestling, Men's Freestyle, Women's Freestyle, Junior Freestyle.  Common sense tells me that a weekly wrestling broadcast of only a 15 minute sit down with interesting wrestling people/stories/match analysis, etc. and a commentator like JB or maybe one of the Flo guys could build this into a multi-million dollar endeavor in no time at all.  I would think ESPN or Fox Sports would be super excited to pick up a sport going through an explosion of popularity.  You bring a whole new set of demographics into the equation.  I wouldn't want to watch matches with 50 people in the stands, but we have an attractive product out there.  Surely there is a market  analysis out there that  would suggest that with good promotion, we could steal a certain percentage of billions of dollars from less watched programming.  I believe with minimal promotion our viewing audience at the NCAA Championships becomes the baseline  viewing audience for a dozen or so events a year.  Focusing on the majors like golf and tennis do would be a nice strategy.  I don't understand why this isn't front and center for someone who controls broadcast decisions.  Is there a lobby system like the one that exploits our congress for the best laws that money can buy?  Do certain decisions revolve around which audiences may lose fan support also?  It just makes no sense to me that in order to watch something that has a modest but exploding fan base like our US Open, we have to fiddle fart with memberships and ppv.  Rant over, thanks for listening :--)

Next time you make an inane, wisdom-free rant, please utilize this newfangled language technique known as the paragraph.