Sign in to follow this  
CrewWrestling

Green has won his last match...

I can’t help but wonder how much of an effect the new weigh in rules are having on Green. I remember him making jokes about tough cutting weight on social media a few times in the lead up to worlds last year. This is obviously all speculation, and it’s possible he’s at his ideal weight right now, but I bet we see Green make some noise up at 74 kg after JB retires in 2020

Well after watching Gren and Nolf go at it tonight, I thought after the first period was over that Nolf was going to win, but for some reason Nolf got off the gas pedal for the entire second period and allowed Green to not only stay in the match but steal it away in the closing seconds. So we'll see how it plays out the next time they meet up. 

When JB vacates 74, Dake will be our Rep, unless he retires.  Which I hope he doesn't.  Then Ringer or Zahid will take over 79. 

Also, I think green is done after 20/20, and I don't know that he makes another world team.  I think Nolf wins 2/3 at the final X. 

7 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

No, he won't.  This is probably the last year they compete.  I'm tempted to take the field against Nolf at X

The weight is extremely top heavy. Who’s beating Nolf from the field? Deakin, Chamberlain, or Sorensen? No way, it’s Green and Nolf and that’s it. 

I may be wrong but it seems that when he wins close matches in the end he is behind and scores.  However when he is in the lead it is the opposite.  It's almost like he goes full on hold your opponent off mode to early, then gives up points.  Again I could be wrong but I seem to think  there are several situations where he is in the lead and loses in the final seconds. He may need to rethink how he holds his lead if that is the case.  It may not work for him like it does for others. Either way I don't think you can back pedal with that much time in the clock.   

27 minutes ago, olddirty said:

I was watching this match with a guy I coached in college.  I commented on how boring I thought Green is.  He said something that was so true.  Greens best skill is finding a way to beat the field by 1 point.

That is a helluva skill.

I tend to agree with the OP.  

After having watched the match, you can tell that Nolf is still a little hesitant to "let it fly".  When he does, he runs the risk of exposures.  I think that once he gets more "freestyle" mat awareness to his extremely cerebral, yet physical style... oh my oh my.

I'm taking Nolf over Green in a squeaker at WTT, and then Nolf over Deakin handily at Final X.  

Well it should be fun to see Nolf and Green go head to head again at the WTT here in a couple of weeks. And not taking anything away from Deakin, he's a great wrestler, but I think it would be kind of a mind blower that after it was all said and done that he comes out of Final X as the winner, and makes the World team. And the more I think about it, I think Deakin has a better shot of winning Final X against JG than he does against Nolf, strange as that seems.