Sign in to follow this  
sisi

Giving PDIII props

I don't know much about the PDIII saga. I watched the walking interview with Bader and read some of his Dad's comments on here. He came off as evasive at points in the interview, and his dad seems like a jerk. But, I find something compelling about the dude. He's both arrogant and demure. I think I'm rooting for him. Should I be?

I'm really not sure what match y'all watched, but PD3 did less to win it as MM did 5o lose that match. He capitalized on a gassed out turtle. Little skill was involved there.

I will give him props if we see him launch Heflin for a touch-fall.

You guys are talking like someone else stepped in there and got Martin tired for PDIII.  Give him his credit.  He gassed the hell out of a guy who won NCAA and made the US Open semifinals. 

Edited by olddirty

Just now, nyum said:

What’s your point

He didn't win it this year. He lost to a Cornell fellar from Michigan who placed 8th and didn't qualify for the trials. Perspective. He hasn't been the best in his weight class when it mattered since 2016.

29 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

Man, Downey beats a 4x AA and a past NCAA Champion and now people are trying to downplay Martin's career so they can't give Downey credit. What is wrong with you people? 

You're twisting it.

People were trying to make it seem like Martin was a surefire allstar freestyle talent that nobody could beat, and that Downey figuratively and literally gutted out a win. Downey wasn't an underdog here. In probably more than half of us he was the favorite(he was to me). He shouldn't have needed to score those guts on a 'folkstyle down' position.

Martin is raw and has that talent, he just hasn't consistently displayed it at any level(yet). I believe it is nerves and I believe he will absolutely be a threat to David Taylor as soon as he does get them under control.

Until then, the Martin that Downey beat is not the one we need him to be.

9 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I'm really not sure what match y'all watched, but PD3 did less to win it as MM did 5o lose that match. He capitalized on a gassed out turtle. Little skill was involved there.

I will give him props if we see him launch Heflin for a touch-fall.

Well, we watched him launch Hefflin for what would have been a touch fall if they existed and yet here you are, still talking trash because Martin "only won NCAA's in 2016".  The dude just won the US open in spectacular fashion.  Give him some credit.

No I'm not.

Obviously the guy is mad talented. I didn't trash talk Downey at all. I just told folks to calm their tits on anointing him defeating Martin as if he was a senior level world medalist.

There are far too many people acting like divas here and not seeing it for what it is.

He deserves hella props for tossing Heflin. Anybody who has seen either of them wrestle knew that was coming.

All this being said, the only grappler I see challenging the Magic Man come Final X is Zahid, if he goes 86 for the Trials.

Now. Downey is going to celebrate. Then I hope he gets back to it. We need depth. We need gents who can step up and go overseas and medal in tough tournaments. 3 deep or more.

23 minutes ago, Blue Dragons said:

Over the years I grew sick of this guy with all the drama and squandering of opportunity (particularly after his d-bag dad felt a need to to be his press agent).  But the guy in this interview comes off as likable and someone who appears to have grown up a lot.  If this is who he really is now, props to him and hopes that he can keep on this path.

Props to Downey on a great weekend.  Also want to give a shout out to Reece Humphrey and the job he's doing at the NJRTC--I knew he'd make a great coach whenever he decided to hang 'em up, exciting to see what they're building over there in such a short period.  

I'm from MD and have followed the ups and downs of Pat's tumultuous career, going all the way back to his freshman year at Mt. St. Joseph HS, and have to say it is most gratifying to see this latest, seemingly more adult/mature version of PDIII.  He may have his detractors, but IMO, he's a great example of what you can accomplish in this sport thru true grit, determination, and perseverance. Good luck to him in his quest to make it to the top thru 2020.

Edited by gromit