Sign in to follow this  
Greatdane67

Yianni

10 minutes ago, Greatdane67 said:

I am officially sold. He will make the Olympics at whatever weight he decides to enter and I would take him to win Gold in Tokyo. I may be a prisoner of the moment, but he is another level special.

His options are 57, 65, and 74.

I only see him winning the 65kg spot.

He'd have to chop off a leg at 57 and 74 is an entirely different animal. A bigger, different animal. We're talking a Wolverine going up to fight a Lion and a Tiger in JB and KD...

46 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

His options are 57, 65, and 74.

I only see him winning the 65kg spot.

He'd have to chop off a leg at 57 and 74 is an entirely different animal. A bigger, different animal. We're talking a Wolverine going up to fight a Lion and a Tiger in JB and KD...

Or a bear.... oh my...

12 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Agreed. Was all in on 2020. Am shocked he beat everyone he has to to be the 2019 guy already. I thought he'd be too close to major surgery to do what he just did today. REALLY looking forward to his BTS matchup with the world silver.

Yes, BTS match with Bajrang is now very more interesting. As I mentioned in other thread, thought Bajrang would easily win, but oh boy! after watching Yiannis US open matches, I think it will be a very very close match, Yianni might even pull the upset. Yianni’s scrambles are out of the world, I am even liking Yianni’s scrambles better than KD and DT’s.

13 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Or a bear.... oh my...

12 hours ago, nhs67 said:

...if only Ringer could make 74 again.

I'm not counting Ringer our to beat Dake it's been close. Big Dake fan but Ringer is in it.

41 minutes ago, cangemi said:

I'm not counting Ringer our to beat Dake it's been close. Big Dake fan but Ringer is in it.

I hear ya in terms of the past being close.  I would agree if it were not Dake. Of anyone in the country Dake seems to be the one who can most score when he needs/wants too.  The only 2 guys I have seen him not be able to score on when he wants is JB and Cox.  With Cox Dake was honestly 2 weights above his ideal at the time (ideal being 74kg then).  If not for JB and Cox he is probably a multiple world champ at this point.  I do like ringer, but even if Dake is behind he will score.  When you think about the fact that Dake has only lost to a US wrestler that is a World champion since he was 19 or so it is pretty dam amazing. 

Did anyone else cringe seeing Yianni's head-plant counters - like, can he do that without suffering head and neck injuries? 

I love that he found ways to win, and that cerebral style is freaky and exciting to see, but man does he make me squirm in anticipation of an injury!

6 minutes ago, denger said:

Did anyone else cringe seeing Yianni's head-plant counters - like, can he do that without suffering head and neck injuries? 

I love that he found ways to win, and that cerebral style is freaky and exciting to see, but man does he make me squirm in anticipation of an injury!

That is actually a practiced move, believe it or not. I've seen him do it exactly the same way in the past, albeit not at such a high level of competition. Daton Fix also uses the same counter. "Freestyle funk".

1 minute ago, wrestlingnerd said:

That is actually a practiced move, believe it or not. I've seen him do it exactly the same way in the past, albeit not at such a high level of competition. Daton Fix also uses the same counter. "Freestyle funk".

I'll continue to love watching him - squirming in my seat makes it an even better experience as a fan. Additionally, I think Yianni is only beginning to appear physically developed at 20: kinda reminds me of David Taylor who didn't get his man muscles until his mid 20s. 

15 minutes ago, simple said:

Ben Askren used it too

Yianni said afterwards that he learned it by seeing on Flo a video of Askren doing it, and that he hadn't practiced it before this weekend.  Something like "I was going to get taken down anyway, so why not try it."  Twice.

3 hours ago, dsims1010 said:

Great time to be a Cornell wrestling alum.  I knew Cornell could be good but to be having this conversation about multiple Cornell wrestlers is unbelievable.

It's going to be a sad year now that he almost certainly takes a Olympic shirt. I say Dean should take a shirt and we win the team title in 2022

Edited by Sublime607

2 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Will he? He strikes me as the kind of guy who’ll just wrestle through the NCAA season while preparing for the Olympic cycle. Get that education done with and then make wrestling his job and sole focus. 

It benefits Cornell if he does our 2022 lineup will be the best we have ever had if we some how get dean another year.

3 hours ago, Sublime607 said:

It's going to be a sad year now that he almost certainly takes a Olympic shirt. I say Dean should take a shirt and we win the team title in 2022

Yes, because he really needs to focus on freestyle to be competitive.  I mean, he just took almost two years off from competition FS, a year out from knee surgery, and a full year of D1 wrestling in which he won his second straight title and was undefeated, and look how he did this weekend.

17 minutes ago, klehner said:

Yes, because he really needs to focus on freestyle to be competitive.  I mean, he just took almost two years off from competition FS, a year out from knee surgery, and a full year of D1 wrestling in which he won his second straight title and was undefeated, and look how he did this weekend.

If your being sarcastic your not making much of a point. We are talking about every wrestlers dream trying to bring home Olympic gold medal don't you want our reps focused solely on making that dream a reality 

Edited by Sublime607