Katie

Predict the world team

29 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

There's going to be a surprise at 57.  I'm not going to say who, but it's an elite talent I think a lot of people are overlooking.  But he will be there.  It isn't Lee either.  I think he will make the world team and beat Fix.  The only thing that could get in his way is that he's been out for so long.  The good thing is he didn't need to go through any of the BS to qualify for the trials so he's fresh and very well rested.  I think it's going to be a lot of fun to see somebody with this much talent make some noise and come back to wrestle for the love of it and the fans.  He doesn't really need to, but he will be there, I'm like 90% sure.  I think a lot of people will be surprised. 

Henry?

Predictions with my estimated actual percentage likelihood in parenthesis.

57KG - Gilman (40%), think he still has the necessary maturity/grit to make corrections and edge out Fix in a best of three. 50/50 medal threat at worlds, with limited Gold medal upside.

61KG - Colon (60%), but IF Nahshon is healthy and ready to go for trials/FinalX then I consider it a 50/50 toss-up in best of three, would bump percentage to 75% if Nahshon is a no-go. 

65KG - Yianni D (60%), was the most pleasant surprise of the weekend, taking out all three consensus top guys in a row. Here's to hoping the kid can end our medal drought at this weight for the foreseeable future. If he handles Bajrang next week, I'll predict world medalist with legit Gold upside.

70KG - Nolf (55%), I predict he finally gets past Green at trials (pains me to type this as a Husker fan) and then takes out Deakin in the best of three. Think his offense make him a world medal threat.

74KG - JB (90%), while iMart continues to improve, I think the old man still comes out on top this year. I predict a bounce back Gold at worlds, similar to 2015 and 2017.

79KG - Dake (80%), love our depth with Ringer and Zahid, but think Dake takes it this year and enters worlds as our heaviest Gold medal favorite.

86KG - DT (95%), should roll at FinalX and enter worlds with 50/50ish odds to repeat on top.

92KG - Bo (30%), my biggest upset pick, very impressed with him at the Open, think he edges Cox in a very entertaining best of three, and enters worlds as one of the favorites.

97KG - Snyder (99%), biggest lock to make the team in 2019, obvious Gold contender with Sadulaev.

125KG - Gwiz (75%), takes Coon out in best of three, actually like his chances at Gold more than most, but would consider bronze/silver much more likely for now.

Edited by Giovanni

20 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

Garret still is the one at that weight with the most upside. Don't forget, he teched Colon to win the spot. Freakishly JB like athleticism. I'm going for the all upside team. Fix, Nashon, Yanni, Nolf. 

Garrett doesn’t have enough defense to medal 

You can't just come back in and show up at the WTT.....you need to actually wrestle in qualifiers or be an NCAA champion.
He's in as a past Olympic champion.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Nah...he isn't beating Gilman or  Fix.  All it takes is 5 seconds of searching to see who else is actually qualified for the WTT that didn't compete at the Open....

Save me the 5 seconds.

1 hour ago, CA_Wrestler said:

You can't just come back in and show up at the WTT.....you need to actually wrestle in qualifiers or be an NCAA champion.

Past gold medalists qualify for an autobid.

1 hour ago, CA_Wrestler said:

If you meet certain criteria you can. Just saying. That would be something if Henry came back unannounced though, wouldn't it? :-)

If I'm not mistaking Cejudo tried to make a comeback once before and didn't finish near the top.  He isn't gonna come back now and make it.  The only past champ that could probably make the team is Cael and a small chance Varner.  Cael would be the only real threat though.  

4 minutes ago, scramble said:

If I'm not mistaking Cejudo tried to make a comeback once before and didn't finish near the top.  He isn't gonna come back now and make it.  The only past champ that could probably make the team is Cael and a small chance Varner.  Cael would be the only real threat though.  

He finished 3rd losing to Simmons in the semis of the trials tournament. Simmons was probably our best shot at a medal but he inexplicably lost to Hazewinkel in the final best of 3. 

Edit: Sorry he forfeited out in the consolation semis to Kjar, who subsequently lost to Obe Blanc whom Cejudo had handily beaten in the championship bracket.  I think Cejudo would have been our rep that year had he faced Simmons in the best of 3. He matched up better with Haze than Simmons and in a best of 3 I think he would have figured out how to avoid things Simmons liked. 

Edited by TripNSweep

I agree with Simmons being our best medal shot that year. 

I've been team Nashon since college, and was stoked seeing him last year.  However, like I mentioned previously Colon is just ON right now and I wouldn't be shocked if he has a magical world tournament.  I always told my athletes at the big tournaments.  "You don't necessarily have to be better than your opponent overall. You just need to be better one time and for one day, but that day and time has to be at the most important tournament".  

1 hour ago, scramble said:

For what it’s worth I heard the messenger gave Fix all he wanted and then some earlier this year.  If cejudo comes back he can take out fix and gillman’s heavy hands will mean very little to an actual mma fighter.  

5 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

There's going to be a surprise at 57.  I'm not going to say who, but it's an elite talent I think a lot of people are overlooking.  But he will be there.  It isn't Lee either.  I think he will make the world team and beat Fix.  The only thing that could get in his way is that he's been out for so long.  The good thing is he didn't need to go through any of the BS to qualify for the trials so he's fresh and very well rested.  I think it's going to be a lot of fun to see somebody with this much talent make some noise and come back to wrestle for the love of it and the fans.  He doesn't really need to, but he will be there, I'm like 90% sure.  I think a lot of people will be surprised. 

IHXDtx50_400x400.jpg

1 hour ago, Scorenomore said:

For what it’s worth I heard the messenger gave Fix all he wanted and then some earlier this year.  If cejudo comes back he can take out fix and gillman’s heavy hands will mean very little to an actual mma fighter.  

Interesting to hear things like that.  Especially if you see/hear similar things with other 57/61 contenders that confirm such things as being more likely than not.  I think a lot of people are going to be pretty surprised.  

10 hours ago, Giovanni said:

Predictions with my estimated actual percentage likelihood in parenthesis.

57KG - Gilman (40%), think he still has the necessary maturity/grit to make corrections and edge out Fix in a best of three. 50/50 medal threat at worlds, with limited Gold medal upside.

61KG - Colon (60%), but IF Nahshon is healthy and ready to go for trials/FinalX then I consider it a 50/50 toss-up in best of three, would bump percentage to 75% if Nahshon is a no-go. 

65KG - Yianni D (60%), was the most pleasant surprise of the weekend, taking out all three consensus top guys in a row. Here's to hoping the kid can end our medal drought at this weight for the foreseeable future. If he handles Bajrang next week, I'll predict world medalist with legit Gold upside.

70KG - Nolf (55%), I predict he finally gets past Green at trials (pains me to type this as a Husker fan) and then takes out Deakin in the best of three. Think his offense make him a world medal threat.

74KG - JB (90%), while iMart continues to improve, I think the old man still comes out on top this year. I predict a bounce back Gold at worlds, similar to 2015 and 2017.

79KG - Dake (80%), love our depth with Ringer and Zahid, but think Dake takes it this year and enters worlds as our heaviest Gold medal favorite.

86KG - DT (95%), should roll at FinalX and enter worlds with 50/50ish odds to repeat on top.

92KG - Bo (30%), my biggest upset pick, very impressed with him at the Open, think he edges Cox in a very entertaining best of three, and enters worlds as one of the favorites.

97KG - Snyder (99%), biggest lock to make the team in 2019, obvious Gold contender with Sadulaev.

125KG - Gwiz (75%), takes Coon out in best of three, actually like his chances at Gold more than most, but would consider bronze/silver much more likely for now.

This is pretty reasonable.  I generally agree.  One quibble, Bo at 30%.  If he is that low, Cox must be lower.  Who makes up the other 40%+ of the likelihood?  the field?  I would not agree.  For me, i’d put Bo and J’Den near 50% each.

Again, a quibble.

12 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

The only person I can think of that you may be talking about is Cejudo - He has been down at that weight and competing (although not in wrestling) and would be eligible for WTT - have you heard something the rest of us haven't???

8 hours ago, scramble said:

Cael is way to old now - he pulled it off in 2011 which was impressive - it is now 7 years later - I don't he could do it now at 40 years old (as of June 20th)

2 hours ago, jeffrideal said:

You have Nolf listed twice. 

Oh damn. Fixed it.

All that double Hodge talk had me cyborg-brained for a while.  I thought the effects had worn off.

1 hour ago, nom said:

This is pretty reasonable.  I generally agree.  One quibble, Bo at 30%.  If he is that low, Cox must be lower.  Who makes up the other 40%+ of the likelihood?  the field?  I would not agree.  For me, i’d put Bo and J’Den near 50% each.

Again, a quibble.

I don't think he is saying Bo is the favorite.  I think he is making his picks and admitting that Bo at 30% is not the favorite.  I imagine J'den is at 60 or so for him.

57- Gilman. A toss up on who will win the best of the 3. Fix is without a doubt our best shot at a medal (Him or Gilman aren't anywhere near gold) but Gilman's aggressive US style seems to work well domestically. It's just agonizing to watch constant clubs and double unders trying to bull people around. When will Gilman actually have a sound offensive arsenal? It will be tough for either one of these guys to medal. 

61- Depends. If Nashon is healthy I believe he takes it, if not, Colon. Rashidov and Lomtadze still are better than both in my opinion. 

65- Yianni. If Zain didn't beat him the first time, I doubt he beats him at all. We will really get a taste if Yianni is ready for the big stage after his match with Bajrang. What I wouldn't give to watch a match between Romanov and Yianni. If they would wrestle that might be....heaven on earth. 

70- Nolf. I just picked a name out of a hat between Nolf and Green. I could see either medaling, but I don't think either are ready for Gazi. 

74- Burroughs. Hopefully the wrestling world is able to watch a rematch with Sidakova. 

79- Dake. I could see 2 close matches with Zahid/Ringer, but Dake wins. Hasanov and Gadzhi should have more film on Dake at the international level now.

86- Taylor. The only way Taylor doesn't mow through the field is if Yazdani magically figured out his weight regiment with the 2 day weigh ins, I doubt he has. So I would say Taylor should mow through everyone. 

92- J'den. Every time I see Bo's offense, I see J'den's matrix like defense. I see Bo getting to offensive scramble positions, but, can he finish against a brute of a man like J'den? I will have to pick J'den until Bo proves me wrong. Also, I am interested to see how Bo's strength translates to someone like J'den. 

97- Snyder. Everyone chasing King Saduleuv. 

125- Gwiz. I would love to pick Coon, but I don't think he gets it done. After watching Akgul this year, I doubt it matters. Him and Petro over the past 3 years have shown to be light years in front of our 125'ers.