Katie

Predict the world team

27 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Greco is the last thing that should be kicked out of the olympics.  For one it is the most popular style worldwide.  2 it is the closest thing there is to the original Olympic deciding contest.  I could not disagree with anything more than Greco should be kicked out of the olympics.

I’m a hardcore wrestling fan who wrestled Greco when I was young (cadet and junior level), and I think Greco has become so boring it’s essentially unwatchable. Go rewatch the 2018 Greco world finals and tell me otherwise. Sure I’ll watch Kamal wrestle but that’s all I can find myself wanting to watch. Something needs to change, and not on the margin. With no women’s Greco it’s skewing the resource allocation too, which the Olympics and international sporting community hates. 

3 hours ago, Full Nelson said:

I wore out my google machine trying to find stats about Greco vrs Freestyle worldwide.   Just found generalities that freestyle rules in Western hemisphere, Japan and western Europe.   Big wrestling countries like Turkey, Iran, Russia are big on Greco.    There were some old graphs in the below thread saying that freestyle is growing, Greco is declining.

I think your proposal is better than current situation.   I imagine it would be very hard to get agreement.
I am upset by the unfairness of forcing athletes to shoe-horn their bodies into just 6 weight classes.   It's a bit worse for men because they have a larger size range and there are so many competitors.   It's a lot like telling basketball, "OK, you can keep your sport in the Olympics, but you have to play with 4-man teams, and they have to play wearing boots."    There has to be a way to have 10 free style weight classes.

I know FS is much more popular than Greco in Iran and I thought that was the same in most of the wrestling rich areas in Russia.  

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Greco is the last thing that should be kicked out of the olympics.  For one it is the most popular style worldwide.  2 it is the closest thing there is to the original Olympic deciding contest.  I could not disagree with anything more than Greco should be kicked out of the olympics.

1. Greco was invented in the 1800s by a French dude. 

2. Unless you don’t count women as people, freestyle is the more popular style worldwide.

3. Greco has not developed a women’s side, and having a women’s side is critical to stay in the Olympics. Why should Greco remain in the Olympics despite having no women’s side of its own?

Edited by Katie

3 minutes ago, Jim L said:

I know FS is much more popular than Greco in Iran and I thought that was the same in most of the wrestling rich areas in Russia.  

Interesting. I tried really, really hard to find some hard facts about where Greco stands today in terms of popularity.  
It could be that many impressions/opinions are out of date.

I have sympathy for the guy who said Greco must be preserved because it is descended from original Olympics.   Having it be a part of the sport does add some variety.    I'm protective of folkstyle for that same reason even if freestyle is arguably better.      Greco, freestyle and folkstyle all add interesting facets.

2 minutes ago, Katie said:

Ya, but it is thought to be similar to what was originally practiced.

BTW, I think the original olympic wrestling was done naked.    And combatants would sometimes die.

(Somebody who should know,  my neighbor who is a Classicist, told me this.  Not sure it is right.)

On 5/3/2019 at 12:52 PM, Full Nelson said:

http://ancientolympics.arts.kuleuven.be/eng/TC007aEN.html

Holy smokes, the ancients had two kinds of wrestling too - only they called it Ground and Upright.    Too funny.

It makes sense! They cater to different body types, styles, etc. 

i know plenty of high level submission grappling guys, especially bjj guys, who put a lot of effort into wrestling but just never figure it out. Then you get them on the ground and they smash people. They have proven that they have the acumen, work ethic and focus to learn a combat sport, but for some reason the attributes needed for one aren’t always the same as the other

On 5/3/2019 at 12:15 PM, MDogg said:

I’m a hardcore wrestling fan who wrestled Greco when I was young (cadet and junior level), and I think Greco has become so boring it’s essentially unwatchable. Go rewatch the 2018 Greco world finals and tell me otherwise. Sure I’ll watch Kamal wrestle but that’s all I can find myself wanting to watch. Something needs to change, and not on the margin. With no women’s Greco it’s skewing the resource allocation too, which the Olympics and international sporting community hates. 

I guess we’ll just agree to disagree

Chariot racing and trumpet blaring were two original Olympic events - should those be preserved alongside Greco? 

There are also a number of hardcore wrestling fans here who follow free and folk, but don’t really appreciate the nuances of Greco. Some don’t even know the rules and mechanics of it. That’s a problem in a niche sport. Before Greco can be expanded, it seems the rules or style would need an update.

On 5/3/2019 at 12:43 PM, Katie said:

2. Unless you don’t count women as people, freestyle is the more popular style worldwide.

3. Greco has not developed a women’s side, and having a women’s side is critical to stay in the Olympics. Why should Greco remain in the Olympics despite having no women’s side of its own?

1. That’s not entirely accurate. 

2. Greco has been the more popular of the two styles around the world for decades upon decades. There may be more participating now in freestyle with the rise of women. But it’s really no secret that Greco takes a back seat to freestyle as in America, is not at all the way around the world. Stop with the “if you don’t count women as people”....just stop  

3 I agree and would love to have women competing in Greco. And it is slowly, albeit very slowly, gaining ground. You think eliminating Greco from the Olympics is the best way to grow women Greco??

If women competed in Greco, there would be 4 1/2 (so maybe 5 if the IOC is in a good mood) weight classes in each style.  The IOC has done what it can to hold wrestling to 18 gold medals total.  

mspart 

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

1. That’s not entirely accurate. 

2. Greco has been the more popular of the two styles around the world for decades upon decades. There may be more participating now in freestyle with the rise of women. But it’s really no secret that Greco takes a back seat to freestyle as in America, is not at all the way around the world. Stop with the “if you don’t count women as people”....just stop  

3 I agree and would love to have women competing in Greco. And it is slowly, albeit very slowly, gaining ground. You think eliminating Greco from the Olympics is the best way to grow women Greco??

1) Greco doesn’t have a women’s side. 

2) According to the IOC, if you don’t have a women’s side, then you shouldn’t be at the Olympics.

3) Therefore, Greco shouldn’t be at the Olympics.

What’s so hard about that?

Edited by Katie

2 hours ago, Katie said:

1) Greco doesn’t have a women’s side. 

2) According to the IOC, if you don’t have a women’s side, then you shouldn’t be at the Olympics.

3) Therefore, Greco shouldn’t be at the Olympics.

What’s so hard about that?

1) Greco not having a women’s side has nothing to do with whether or not it was invented by a Fenchman.  I’m not sure your argument there. 

2) Again, I don’t know what direction you’re going. How does whether or not I count women as people, and more to the original point Greco’s level of popularity around the world, have anything to do with an IOC rule?

3). There is a women’s side to the sport of wrestling. Greco is not an Olympic sport, it is an event in the sport of wrestling. 

Boxing didn’t have women, until it did. Much like wrestling. The answer to growing the women’s side of the sport is absolutely not to cut the other side of the sport. And it’s extremely short sided to say Greco should be cut from the Olympics. 

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

1) Greco not having a women’s side has nothing to do with whether or not it was invented by a Fenchman.  I’m not sure your argument there. 

2) Again, I don’t know what direction you’re going. How does whether or not I count women as people, and more to the original point Greco’s level of popularity around the world, have anything to do with an IOC rule?

3). There is a women’s side to the sport of wrestling. Greco is not an Olympic sport, it is an event in the sport of wrestling. 

Boxing didn’t have women, until it did. Much like wrestling. The answer to growing the women’s side of the sport is absolutely not to cut the other side of the sport. And it’s extremely short sided to say Greco should be cut from the Olympics. 

I can’t bring myself to respond anymore 

On 5/6/2019 at 10:37 AM, pamela said:

Chariot racing and trumpet blaring were two original Olympic events - should those be preserved alongside Greco? 

Yes chariot racing should be an Olympic event, not sold on trumpet blaring.  Do any think Ben-Hur would've been a box office hit if about bobsled racing?  ;)

8 hours ago, Gantry said:

Are you implying, ON THE RECORD, that Ben-Hur was a better movie than Cool Runnings?  Think carefully before you answer, once you say something on the Internet it's there forever...

I will say it, yes. Cool Running, while an instant classic comedy, is nowhere near the movie Ben Hur(the new or the old). It had more moments of comedy. That is all.

I will say it, yes. Cool Running, while an instant classic comedy, is nowhere near the movie Ben Hur(the new or the old). It had more moments of comedy. That is all.
Whoa whoa whoa.... I was just scrolling through this, but you cant be serious? This could cost you your credibility. You may have to rent both and rewatch, assuming you dont already own Cool Runnings VHS, BluRay, etc....

John Candy's final film! A disgraced former Olympian, uses an all black, financially restricted team of dreamers, to compete with and earn the respect of some of the best teams to ever do it. This is a feel good family comedy for the ages. Hijinks and humor aside, the message of: everyone has a chance if they work hard enough. Is not to be undersold.

#AllTimeGreat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I do own Cool Running.

I just think from the get-go they had an unfair athletic advantage. I am really not sure why I would think that. It should also not be undersold. If true.

I do own Cool Running.
I just think from the get-go they had an unfair athletic advantage. I am really not sure why I would think that. It should also not be undersold. If true.
Hey let's not bring race into this.!

Lol fun story.
I lived in a pretty small Texas town and our team of (all white/Mexican) players, were very good for the area. We played the eventual state champs, and they had a shifty (black) tailback, that we literally couldn't catch (NCAA quality) .... they beat us 50+ to 14 or something. I was in the stands with a bunch of parents (farmers, ranchers, and oilfield) who were irrate because this was the first loss we were gonna take.... one got to hoopin and hollerin, this isnt fair, he shouldnt ve playing against our kids, if we had a nig..... (looked at me ... I'm black) .... if we had one of them tailbacks we would be just as good.

And my thoughts on the racist sports fan, evolved.

But yes... the athletic advantage in speed based events, is a real thing.
Or basketball.
Wrestling though is glorious in that everyone is even, we can all be good at something

Just now, spladle08 said:

Lol fun story.
I lived in a pretty small Texas town and our team of (all white/Mexican) players, were very good for the area. We played the eventual state champs, and they had a shifty (black) tailback, that we literally couldn't catch (NCAA quality) .... they beat us 50+ to 14 or something. I was in the stands with a bunch of parents (farmers, ranchers, and oilfield) who were irrate because this was the first loss we were gonna take.... one got to hoopin and hollerin, this isnt fair, he shouldnt ve playing against our kids, if we had a nig..... (looked at me ... I'm black) .... if we had one of them tailbacks we would be just as good.

Or basketball.
Wrestling though is glorious in that everyone is even, we can all be good at something

You brought race into it. :P

5 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Lol fun story.

Or basketball.

The parent in the stands is an idiot. Now having said that, I bet the tailback on the other team couldn't catch this kid.

9.98 baby!

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/white-lightning-houston-kid-youngest-person-ten-second-barrier/