Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

RBY Dominated in Jr Finals

16 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

Gabe Tagg pinned him in impressive fashion. Tagg had all techs to the finals and then the pin. North Carolina commit.

I hadn’t heard of Tagg before. Obviously he’s very good. 

What was the score before the fall?

1 hour ago, Katie said:

I hadn’t heard of Tagg before. Obviously he’s very good. 

What was the score before the fall?

It was 4-4 before the final move. Tagg got Roman to his back. It may have been 8-4 right before the pain

With all due respect to Tagg, mo matter what you call it, it was not a match RBY should have lost that way (or at all), in my opinion. He didn't get dominated the whole match, but in the series that resulted in a stick, you would think Tagg was the man and RBY was the boy. He got manhandled. RBY's greatest weakness is his weakness.

5 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

It was 4-4 before the final move. Tagg got Roman to his back. It may have been 8-4 right before the pain

RBY was actually leading 4-2. The final sequence (from memory) was standing cradle to back exposure to TD to turn for 2 more back exposure points to pin. So 6 points on one really top notch move.

If that were folkstyle RBY would have probably been leading 4-1 on the strength of a late period TD (ride out assumed)  and then he would have given up the standing cradle TD, so he'd have been on bottom but still leading 4-3. 

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

With all due respect to Tagg, mo matter what you call it, it was not a match RBY should have lost that way (or at all), in my opinion. He didn't get dominated the whole match, but in the series that resulted in a stick, you would think Tagg was the man and RBY was the boy. He got manhandled. RBY's greatest weakness is his weakness.

I am developing a general theory regarding PSU drilling so much offense, offense, offense that their defense tends to be a little behind with the younger wrestlers. It was very apparent this past weekend with Joe Lee not doing much of anything to keep Mattox or Conigliaro (sp?) off his feet, Teske, RBY in that sequence with Tagg, and then Seth Nevills not doing much of anything to block off Cassioppi. They will work on this apsect before these guys need to score points at NCAAs. 

RBY looked good for most of that match, but that happens in many of his losses. He has the talent to beat anyone but he has to improve on his match tactics/awareness (whatever you want to call it) before his results go from AA level guy to title contender. 

19 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Tagg wasn't dominating.  He was competitive, but not dominating.  Touch falls in FS are tough.  Really good guys get pinned super easily.  RBY techs him next time and it's an afterthought.  

Lol that was not a touch fall. He was absolutely glued to the mat after getting cranked over in a chin and arm. Didn't even fight after his first bridge attempt because he knew he was toast. That was actually a folkstyle type pin. He had almost bellied down, but his arm was caught in a hammerlock position and Tagg cranked him back over with it. 

He may well tech him next time, but that match was very much in the balance before the fall. Tagg was very effective with his underhook and probably blew more scoring attempts by getting too hasty with his finish. I think he left far more points on the board than RBY and can definitely improve on that performance next time out.

It was a good performance by Tagg, but definitely not a dominating performance.  Any time someone beats a talent like RBY, it is a great accomplishment.  I do think RBY will beat him the next time they wrestle, but props to Tagg, he got it done this time.  

This was an extremely competitive match. could have gone either way had it gone 6 full min. 

Tagg and his brother were lights out for Brecksville. He's jumped levels. Im really interested to see how he'll stack up vs Phillippi, Wilson, etc. in folk. 

Edited by iGranby

23 hours ago, treep2000 said:

I know I know... hyperbole is a bugger.. 

That's not what hyperbole means. The title of this thread is hyperbole meant to stoke discussion. You just said something that was stupid, implying that RBY was pinned because it's easier to get pinned in freestyle when that just wasn't the case at all. He got cranked over and planted in a folkstyle position.