I'm thinking he may be the next big thing.  Like "Yianni" big.  

As a true frosh, had some fantastic wins at Midlands against AA's.  Beat Pantaleo in the process, along with Lugo.  Beat David Carr at Schultz that just won 74kg Juniors.  The list of very good wins is starting to grow.  His 70kg Junior title came with some credence, as he beat the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th place finishers. 

Now... I know the "different styles" thing is real, and his most recent results were FS.  But... Midlands wasn't.  

The big question is going to be if he goes 149 or 157.  70kg is smack between the two.  With Nolf graduating, and the prospect of Yianni going 149 makes me believe that 157 is where he'll start his career.

Is anyone else as impressed with Sasso?  Thoughts?

Very impressed. I’ve always thought he was a better folkstyle prospect than freestyle, so his 70 kg title is a plus, not a minus. I’m also impressed with his attitude and commitment to the sport based on his redshirt season interviews. Seems completely bought into tOSU and wrestling as a lifestyle, and I believe there were some questions on the latter throughout HS.

I don’t think he’ll be Yianni big. Don’t see him taking out Green, Nolf, and Deakin on the same weekend anytime soon, which is the feat equivalent to what Yianni just did being only one year older, if that. 

He isn't that big. He has never beaten Jacori Teemer, they wrestled at Midlands and in Junior WTT. His Open title is quite impressive and I think he could be a 4 time AA but I don't think he's the best incoming freshman at his own weight. Time will tell...

1 hour ago, Ragu said:

He isn't that big. He has never beaten Jacori Teemer, they wrestled at Midlands and in Junior WTT. His Open title is quite impressive and I think he could be a 4 time AA but I don't think he's the best incoming freshman at his own weight. Time will tell...

If you're referring to Teemer as a better incoming freshman at the weight, my understanding is that he'll be up at 157 next year and Sasso will be 149. He teched both Artalona and Lee this weekend and has improved drastically from last year when he took convincing losses to Murin and Verkleeren here. Love his skillset and the Yianni comparison isn't a bad one style wise, though Yianni is on a different level. Sasso will pin a lot of people next year with that Jaggers-style cradle and will be very tough to score on for everyone else. His match with Lugo (who dominated Teemer the match before) at midlands is a good example of how tough he is to wrestle. Given how they've fared against common opponents (Lugo and Lee), there's a good argument that Sasso is the better guy between him and Teemer too, just might have a tough match up with him.

9 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

I'm certainly happy he's at tOSU.  Now to get Malik on a, " Cowboy bulk job." LOL

He needs to be lifting buddies with NATO.

15 hours ago, Ragu said:

The officiating in that match was highly questionable and could have easily been called in Sasso's favor. Teemer didn't even make it to the finals this weekend. Even so Teemer is legit and will do very very  well next year. But ya the Yianni comparisons are stretching it. I think Sasso could be as successful as say Mekhi Lewis was last year, i.e. take a few early season losses but be right in the mix for a Nati come NCAA's. Not saying he will win it all next year, but he definitely has a shot.

Edited by DocBZ

9 hours ago, Mphillips said:

Wonder if NATO was/got hurt regarding Gilman?  He forfeited his last two matched I believe?

He was qualified(top 7 make WTT).  He had no reason to risk seeding and wrestle.  I'm curious if they punish that sort of thing this year at the WTT.

I think the questions about whether he is the next Yanni are pointless as well as a very tall order.   The better question is whether he can win this thing next year.  Looking at his trajectory, and the field returning at 149 I can’t say there is anyone I take ahead of him. Harder to say if he goes 157, but I think he’s certainly in the hunt.

7 hours ago, nhs67 said:

He was qualified(top 7 make WTT).  He had no reason to risk seeding and wrestle.  I'm curious if they punish that sort of thing this year at the WTT.

Understood.  For some reason I just thought NATO would wrestle unless he wasn't able/fit?  

1 hour ago, Mphillips said:

Understood.  For some reason I just thought NATO would wrestle unless he wasn't able/fit?  

Given NaTo's recent track record of injuries, it was probably best that he forfeited to sixth.  Seeds matter at WTT, to a point... but... you still gotta win to win.  When you're Top 5 in the country, seed relevancy means little, aside from having earlier kickass matches than later.  

On 4/28/2019 at 3:45 PM, wrestlingnerd said:

Seems completely bought into tOSU and wrestling as a lifestyle, and I believe there were some questions on the latter throughout HS.

I don't know anyone that questioned Sasso's dedication in high school.  All Sasso ever did in high school was crush people.  

On 4/30/2019 at 2:11 PM, Frank_Rizzo said:

I don't know anyone that questioned Sasso's dedication in high school.  All Sasso ever did in high school was crush people.  

I believe he had some off the mat issues early in his high school days that seem to be well in the rear view mirror for him. Really great to see him wrestling well and performing in the classroom. Really fun to watch.

I really didn’t even want to respond because I don’t want to take away from the due kudos. But I just want to clarify that what I said was only meant as a positive. Buying into his coaches and (re)dedication to a focused wrestling lifestyle are arguably as important as talent and he appears to be acing those criteria too. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd