BobDole

2019/2020 NCAA Rule Proposals

On 5/2/2019 at 2:12 AM, BobbyGribbs said:

It’s an easy win for all. Wrestlers don’t want to were it, we won’t have to see matches being ruined by a grab

Yeah, you'll just see a lot more guys going around with cauliflower ears. A great recruiting tool for the sport....

Until there's a longitudinal study that indicates otherwise, the NCAA won't ever get rid of headgear requirements as long as there are head injuries (incl. cauliflower ear) and the belief that headgear mitigates the incidences or seriousness of those injuries. I bet the UWW could be convinced to require headgear for those same reasons, plus the fact that it's a blank canvas space (albeit a small one) for promotions - in the same way the UWW designed "sponsor space" into the current singlets. 

On 4/30/2019 at 12:34 PM, Ragu said:

Those are some very good points. As for the riding I think it's an easier said than done fix. If the bottom guy is laying flat he's clearly stalling but if he's showing that he's trying to get into a better position and out and the top guy is just trying to prevent that rather than working for backs/the fall then he is stalling (just like riding parallel is stalling). Easier said than done because stalling in college wrestling is like the catch rule in the NFL. We know, or we like to think we know, what stalling is but it's hard to put into words in a rulebook.

As for the TD situation I had never done that math and it is very interesting. I guess my only problem with the 3pt TD would be the prospect of a feet to back being 7pts. I believe that could cause a lot of problems, I mean that's one point from a major in one move set...

1. Riding time is obsolete except for rodeo. It doesn't promote pinning, just fake halfs/stalling. You pin-tilt cuz u knowhow. Riding is necessarily part of the real pinner's style, not a coincidence. The non-pinner is stalling and wasting everyone's time. Control is good up to a point then it gets boring. Allow the ride, not the point, and only if a tilt/pinning attempt is on the horizon. Otherwise, just hanging on is either a stall call or stand 'em up. I.e., Take away the incentive NOT to pin!

2.  A 3 point TD makes sense if it promotes more TDs similar to a 4 point NF IF it produces mores NFs; I see no proof though. Again, it's a function of knowhow, not point value. Anyway we won't know if a 3 pt TD will work as planned since it isn't being tried. And If the "easy" major/techfall is a problem, just bump them up to 10 and 20pts margin.

On 6/4/2019 at 4:04 PM, TobusRex said:

Yeah, you'll just see a lot more guys going around with cauliflower ears. A great recruiting tool for the sport....

How many wrestlers at the NCAA level don’t have cauliflower ear by the time they step on campus? I bet it is a small number

10 hours ago, BobbyGribbs said:

How many wrestlers at the NCAA level don’t have cauliflower ear by the time they step on campus? I bet it is a small number

I see lots of guys in college who don't have cauliflower ears. Granted, a lot DO have cauliflower ears though. I always thought the guys with cauliflower ears were stupid....all they have to do is wear headgear and they don't have to go around with lumps on the side of their head for the rest of their lives. You should hear Randy Couture talk about his cauliflower ears, he hates them.

I wore my headgear every practice of my life.  3 days before sectionals my senior year is when my cauliflower ear started.  Lucky for me it is only on my right ear and it isn't really that bad.  My wife, who has no knowledge of the sport, thought I had a birth defect when we first started dating.  I don't think it makes me look "tough" and I've only had one person that I can remember even ask me about it, that person asked if I was an MMA fighter.  I am totally against getting rid of headgear.

On 6/5/2019 at 4:39 PM, Cooch1 said:

Otherwise, just hanging on is either a stall call or stand 'em up. I.e., Take away the incentive NOT to pin!

You can't just stand 'em up. Then you're rewarding the bottom guy for not being good at wrestling (and turning it into freestyle)!

46 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

You can't just stand 'em up. Then you're rewarding the bottom guy for not being good at wrestling (and turning it into freestyle)!

If the bottom wrestler isn't getting out how is he good at wrestling? Some aspects of FS are ok, not all. The idea is to send a message that the pin/tilt is the goal and always has been, not riding alone or defensiveness on bottom.

9 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I see lots of guys in college who don't have cauliflower ears. Granted, a lot DO have cauliflower ears though. I always thought the guys with cauliflower ears were stupid....all they have to do is wear headgear and they don't have to go around with lumps on the side of their head for the rest of their lives. You should hear Randy Couture talk about his cauliflower ears, he hates them.

I hear ya. I do. I am for making it optional and not mandatory. I always wore them and am glad I can wear ear buds. 

On 6/7/2019 at 4:42 PM, pamela said:

College wrestling should definitely have a step-out rule like FS.

Agreed, but college wrestling should also guard against the "lock up and push" nonsense as well. That's just stalling of a different ilk.

On 6/7/2019 at 6:14 PM, wildcatfan1992 said:

I wore my headgear every practice of my life.  3 days before sectionals my senior year is when my cauliflower ear started.  Lucky for me it is only on my right ear and it isn't really that bad.  My wife, who has no knowledge of the sport, thought I had a birth defect when we first started dating.  I don't think it makes me look "tough" and I've only had one person that I can remember even ask me about it, that person asked if I was an MMA fighter.  I am totally against getting rid of headgear.

That aspect of cauliflower ears has always baffled me: the idea that guys with ears like that are "tough". Granted, they endure a lot of pain, so in that regard they may be tougher. But if I ever squared off against one of those guys in a fight the first thing I'd do would be to pop him in the ears. Maybe that would just insure maximum rage when he starts fighting back, lol.