Sign in to follow this  
Ragu

Where were they? And why?

This past season I noticed a few faces missing in the crowd and was wondering if the people of this forum could enlighten me and add to the list of wrestlers who are MIA because I'm curious as to what really happened...this list is just off the top of my head so really add more because I know I'll be missing some.

Taylor Lamont - The Utah Valley greco stud, to my knowledge, never wrestled this past season and he probably would've been in the bloodround/AA talks for 125 this season. I know he just competed at the open for greco so what gives?

Connor Schram - The Stanford transfer went to Lehigh to finish up his grad work but never took to the mat. They still had a solid 125lber but I feel like he would've been even better. Maybe he got beat for the job, I just never heard about it

Scotty Parker - Another Lehigh guy who was very highly ranked last year and I believe was battling injuries. Did they keep him off the mat for good because he was a senior this past year I believe. I don't know that's why I'm asking

Jon Jay Chavez - I know he was injured and that's why he didn't wrestle, but what was the injury and how long has it sidelined him because he just competed in the open in greco (underperformed I might add). Maybe his underperformance was because he was still injured, just recovered and  had very little prep time. I don't know. What was the injury and can he get a medical redshirt so he can compete one more year for the Big Red, even though if he could he probably wouldn't.

Brody Teske - Why did we never see him start? Too heavy? Didn't win the spot? You never know with Cael.

Dom Mandarino - The Stanford wrestler noticeably beat AA teammate Paul Fox, twice I believe, so you would think that would earn him the starting job. It didn't, I believe they kept Fox at 157 and bumped Mandarino up to 165 but I didn't see him at Pac-12's which means he didn't get to compete in Pittsburgh, so what gives.

Nick Nevills - Took a greyshirt this past year after losing out to Cassar, the eventual NCAA champ at heavyweight. Does this mean he still has one more year of eligibility? If so, does he stay at Penn St or explore elsewhere? If not that's a shame and I hope he does FS in the future. 

Cade Olivas - I'm sure this has been addressed before, but what happened. I've heard it was concussions that ended him and if so. Is he done for good? Perhaps FS? I believe he still attends ASU and that they honored his scholarship, which is awesome if true, does anyone know what he's up to? He was an absolute stud in HS and there is no way he wouldn't have been super good in college. 

Justin Mejia - 4x CA state champ. Where the heck is he. He did something very few have done and I don't even know if he's on a roster at this point.

Kyle Conel - Did he get the medical waiver he needs to compete one more year?

Add more if you can think of them

Edited by Ragu
Nick Nevills not Seth

Just now, nhs67 said:

Unless it happened before the fall Cassar and Seth never wrestled. Cassar beat the oldest brother Nick.

Oh duh, that's my bad. I meant Nick

11 minutes ago, Ragu said:

Connor Schram - The Stanford transfer went to Lehigh to finish up his grad work but never took to the mat. They still had a solid 125lber but I feel like he would've been even better. Maybe he got beat for the job, I just never heard about it

Scotty Parker - Another Lehigh guy who was very highly ranked last year and I believe was battling injuries. Did they keep him off the mat for good because he was a senior this past year I believe. I don't know that's why I'm asking

Both were badly injured and unable to use their final years of eligibility.  

2 hours ago, Ragu said:

Oh duh, that's my bad. I meant Nick

NIck did not take a greyshirt. He was just the backup . Seth took the grey shirt. You can't really take a greyshirt once you enroll. He's done unless he gets a 6th year.

2 hours ago, Ragu said:

This past season I noticed a few faces missing in the crowd and was wondering if the people of this forum could enlighten me and add to the list of wrestlers who are MIA because I'm curious as to what really happened...this list is just off the top of my head so really add more because I know I'll be missing some.

Taylor Lamont - The Utah Valley greco stud, to my knowledge, never wrestled this past season and he probably would've been in the bloodround/AA talks for 125 this season. I know he just competed at the open for greco so what gives?

Jon Jay Chavez - I know he was injured and that's why he didn't wrestle, but what was the injury and how long has it sidelined him because he just competed in the open in greco (underperformed I might add). Maybe his underperformance was because he was still injured, just recovered and  had very little prep time. I don't know. What was the injury and can he get a medical redshirt so he can compete one more year for the Big Red, even though if he could he probably wouldn't.

Brody Teske - Why did we never see him start? Too heavy? Didn't win the spot? You never know with Cael.

Dom Mandarino - The Stanford wrestler noticeably beat AA teammate Paul Fox, twice I believe, so you would think that would earn him the starting job. It didn't, I believe they kept Fox at 157 and bumped Mandarino up to 165 but I didn't see him at Pac-12's which means he didn't get to compete in Pittsburgh, so what gives.

Nick Nevills - Took a greyshirt this past year after losing out to Cassar, the eventual NCAA champ at heavyweight. Does this mean he still has one more year of eligibility? If so, does he stay at Penn St or explore elsewhere? If not that's a shame and I hope he does FS in the future. 

Cade Olivas - I'm sure this has been addressed before, but what happened. I've heard it was concussions that ended him and if so. Is he done for good? Perhaps FS? I believe he still attends ASU and that they honored his scholarship, which is awesome if true, does anyone know what he's up to? He was an absolute stud in HS and there is no way he wouldn't have been super good in college. 

Justin Mejia - 4x CA state champ. Where the heck is he. He did something very few have done and I don't even know if he's on a roster at this point.

Kyle Conel - Did he get the medical waiver he needs to compete one more year?

Add more if you can think of them

Lamont was injured before the season (during greco I think). 

Parker and Schram both were injured and done for the year early.

I heard weight may have been an issue for Chavez.

Teske was better than Schnupp, but not good enough to score more than a point or two at the tournament, so it wasn't worth it to pull his shirt. I also think he was a bit banged up earlier in the year.

Not sure about Mandarino. There have been some weird lineup stories at Stanford the past couple years. 

Nevills was just the backup to Cassar. Nothing special there.

Olivas is done wrestling. I believe he either plays golf or tennis now. Concussions.

Mejia is on the fresno state roster, but didn't make the lineup which shouldn't be that shocking. He has not had great results since his sophomore year of high school and never had very good national results. Good enough to eek out wins in California (no small task obviously), but never really beat high level competition.

Conel was injured. Not sure he's gotten a 6th year.

3 hours ago, Frank_Rizzo said:

I wonder if Lehigh will try to get some of that easy 6th year eligibility going around.

Another name that came to mind, maybe a new thread about redshirts would be in order, is Frankie Gissendanner. Stud out of NY who committed to Rider which shocked me. He had offers from other much better schools, maybe it was money. Last heard he was looking to transfer and I hope he does because he was not performing to the level I know he can

14 hours ago, Ragu said:

Another name that came to mind, maybe a new thread about redshirts would be in order, is Frankie Gissendanner. Stud out of NY who committed to Rider which shocked me. He had offers from other much better schools, maybe it was money. Last heard he was looking to transfer and I hope he does because he was not performing to the level I know he can

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2019/01/31/frankie-gissendanner-college-wrestling-rider-university-nysphsaa-champion-penfield-ny/2725571002/

On 4/30/2019 at 4:27 PM, qc8223 said:

Lamont was injured before the season (during greco I think). 

Parker and Schram both were injured and done for the year early.

I heard weight may have been an issue for Chavez.

Teske was better than Schnupp, but not good enough to score more than a point or two at the tournament, so it wasn't worth it to pull his shirt. I also think he was a bit banged up earlier in the year.

Not sure about Mandarino. There have been some weird lineup stories at Stanford the past couple years. 

Nevills was just the backup to Cassar. Nothing special there.

Olivas is done wrestling. I believe he either plays golf or tennis now. Concussions.

Mejia is on the fresno state roster, but didn't make the lineup which shouldn't be that shocking. He has not had great results since his sophomore year of high school and never had very good national results. Good enough to eek out wins in California (no small task obviously), but never really beat high level competition.

Conel was injured. Not sure he's gotten a 6th year.

Mejia was good enough to start. He wasn’t ever going to start this year. He will wrestle for the spot this coming year and if he keeps his grades up, will almost certainly win the spot

Chavez was injured right before worlds and had to pull out. Followed him into the season. He will still have a year left I believe unless he forgoes to focus on greco.

Didn't Mejia Redshirt this year? He would have started. 

Olivas done a very long time ago - concussions

Didn't Lamont also redshirt? Or had he already taken one.? UVU was really beat up this year. Didn't even look like the same team by the end of the season.

4 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Is Lamont on an LDS mission? 

Edit: I was curious about him, so I went to the UVU web site.  He just wrestled Greco at the US Open(5th).  He already red-shirted, so he is an enigma.

39 minutes ago, Ragu said:

I missed Lamont the most this season, he's a talent in folk and his greco skills make him such a wildcard

I already answered this earlier in the thread, but I believe he was injured before the season during greco and it was announced early on he would be out for the year with an injury.

42 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

I already answered this earlier in the thread, but I believe he was injured before the season during greco and it was announced early on he would be out for the year with an injury.

Interesting that he can wrestle at the highest level a month after the season ends.  Another 6th year, I suppose.   Maybe he'll go on a mission and stretch it to 8.

On 4/30/2019 at 2:17 PM, Frank_Rizzo said:

Although Scott was injured, i think him leaving early and his brother leaving was related.  After placing 2 years in a row, why wouldn't he want a final season?    I heard Matt was unhappy with all the lightweights they brought in after him (schram, lane, polito) 

On 5/2/2019 at 12:58 PM, Plasmodium said:

Is Lamont on an LDS mission? 

Edit: I was curious about him, so I went to the UVU web site.  He just wrestled Greco at the US Open(5th).  He already red-shirted, so he is an enigma.

I'm sure he got an injury redshirt, or at least hope he did. He's a promising wrestler, I think he'd have AA'd this year. I thought he was only a FR the year before last?

Edited by TobusRex

1 hour ago, papride said:

Clarion just got 2 NCAA Qualifiers back in Jake Gromacki and Brock Zacherl for 6th years.

I'd love to see Zacherl to finish on the podium, Gromacki too but Zacherl has better chances

Edited by Ragu