Katie

Reflections of a world champion

12 hours ago, headshuck said:

He who grounds his wooden bed frame to earth.

I have a degree from Cornell, and some of Dake's ideas make me shake my head.  Even Rob Koll acknowledged that he doesn't buy some of Dake's methodology.

16 hours ago, Coach_J said:

The "right things" are so vastly different for each high level athlete.  Gable lived a monkish devotion to the game; Rick Sanders needed an all-night binge and some female company to hit his peak; Satiev was a technical master while Burroughs is dependent on split second timing and explosive capability.  And so on and so on.  As Voltaire might say, "Each must tend his garden."

Is that a fantasy Voltaire quotation? Nice!

18 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Piss off Katie and make Plasmodium take yet another shot at Cornell? Plasmodium must’ve graduated 1st from Harvard Med the way he talks. 

3rd.  Still on the podium but far fewer all nighters.

31 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

3rd.  Still on the podium but far fewer all nighters.

I was at the top of the podium in Psychology at your last alma mater then, so I might’ve earned the right to assess your behavior without your ego getting its panties bunched too far up its ass  

I’ve found that folks who constantly bring down a particular group fall into one of two categories: they are part of an inferior group that tries to elevate its status through their behavior or they are part of a superior group but failed to achieve anything of consequence beyond entry into that group, so they promulgate notions of its superiority as if their own reputation depended on it (because in their case, it does). 

45 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I was at the top of the podium in Psychology at your last alma mater then, so I might’ve earned the right to assess your behavior without your ego getting its panties bunched too far up its ass  

I’ve found that folks who constantly bring down a particular group fall into one of two categories: they are part of an inferior group that tries to elevate its status through their behavior or they are part of a superior group but failed to achieve anything of consequence beyond entry into that group, so they promulgate notions of its superiority as if their own reputation depended on it (because in their case, it does). 

There is a third possibility.  You are full of it.  

20 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I think the college athletes at “Ivy+” schools are more impressive. The workload is considerably more difficult and in a sport that requires as much of a time commitment as wrestling, it makes a big difference. I went to both a state school and what you would call a “very good school” for undergrad (not an Ivy, but even the elitist Harvard kids would acknowledge it as such)  I wrestled throughout. I don’t want to exaggerate by saying it was night and day, but to equate the two experiences is to either be ignorant or deceitful. They’re not the same experiences. If you’re comparing a premed student rated top 5% in his class at Ohio State to an average sociology student at an Ivy, yes, I get it. But that’s not apples to apples  

I do agree about the grade inflation. It’s a problem, but the Ivy+ schools are too full of themselves to ever want to do away with it so it’ll never go away.

Let's not get too crazy about the brilliance of athletes who compete for Ivy schools.  There are plenty of  Ivy student-athletes who get admitted more for their athletic prowess than their ability to rotate a function around an axis to create a volume.

Edited by TheOhioState

21 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I’m not upset. I think this thread is dumb on many levels though, so I just pointed it out. 

That’s good. I appreciate your perspective on the matter. 

It wasn’t a knock on Ohio State athletes so relax that non-Ivy ego (ask Plasmodium, there’s a big difference). I’ve said many times that select guys at “non-elite” (PC enough for you?) academic schools could generally get into a Harvard or Stanford if they wanted it but didn’t want it (e.g. Kemerer chose Iowa over Harvard, among a couple of others; McKenna was obviously smart enough to get into Stanford but opted for your alma mater, and other examples abound...). For the Cornell haters, is there any doubt that Ag School Yianni could’ve gone to Harvard if he really wanted to? He had literally perfect grades, very strong boards scores, and his wrestling speaks for itself. 

The presence of very smart kids in your wrestling team does not change the fact school is harder at a very good academic school than a not as good academic school. That’s all I’m saying, and tOSU, you’re just not following. There is absolutely a difference. I’ve done both. Have you? (No, it wasn’t at Harvard, I was just calling Olasmodium our for his BS). As McKenna’s wrestling practices increased dramatically in difficulty at tOSU, so did the relative ease of his classes. Who you “practice with” is more important than what you practice when it’s a question about difficulty. I didn’t even say one’s education was better than another, so as not to trigger anyone.  

20 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

It wasn’t a knock on Ohio State athletes so relax that non-Ivy ego (ask Plasmodium, there’s a big difference). I’ve said many times that select guys at “non-elite” (PC enough for you?) academic schools could generally get into a Harvard or Stanford if they wanted it but didn’t want it (e.g. Kemerer chose Iowa over Harvard, among a couple of others; McKenna was obviously smart enough to get into Stanford but opted for your alma mater, and other examples abound...). For the Cornell haters, is there any doubt that Ag School Yianni could’ve gone to Harvard if he really wanted to? He had literally perfect grades, very strong boards scores, and his wrestling speaks for itself. 

The presence of very smart kids in your wrestling team does not change the fact school is harder at a very good academic school than a not as good academic school. That’s all I’m saying, and tOSU, you’re just not following. There is absolutely a difference. I’ve done both. Have you? (No, it wasn’t at Harvard, I was just calling Olasmodium our for his BS). As McKenna’s wrestling practices increased dramatically in difficulty at tOSU, so did the relative ease of his classes. Who you “practice with” is more important than what you practice when it’s a question about difficulty. I didn’t even say one’s education was better than another, so as not to trigger anyone.  

Sometimes I get the impression that some people on this board think every Cornell student is a genius who will be rich for life due to his or her genius. It makes me chuckle. 

16 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I’ll take option C: it’s just fun to make fun of Cornell, especially the ag and hotel schools. See Andy Bernard from the office on why it’s fun. It’s still a good school though! As are UNC, Northwestern, PSU, etc. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

21 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

I’ll take option C: it’s just fun to make fun of Cornell, especially the ag and hotel schools. See Andy Bernard from the office on why it’s fun. It’s still a good school though! As are UNC, Northwestern, PSU, etc. 

Yes, it's fun being petty, thereby also indirectly insulting >90% of the other board members in the process.You must've been the salutatorian in Plas's class! One step short.

On 4/30/2019 at 8:45 PM, Plasmodium said:

Not quite 100%. If you read carefully, you'll see that he didn't include himself in the statistics.

he also said 'of you' which implies 100% of the  people not in his camp.

Edited by GockeS

38 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Yes, it's fun being petty, thereby also indirectly insulting >90% of the other board members in the process.You must've been the salutatorian in Plas's class! One step short.

I can’t speak for Plasmodium, but for me what’s funny is this naive belief that Cornell (or any other school) is stocked full of geniuses.

A guy like Terence Tao is as foreign to the typical Harvard student as he is to you.

20 minutes ago, Katie said:

I can’t speak for Plasmodium, but for me what’s funny is this naive belief that Cornell (or any other school) is stocked full of geniuses.

Straw man alert!

28 minutes ago, Katie said:

A guy like Terence Tao is as foreign to the typical Harvard student as he is to you.

I have no idea who he is, so I'll agree on him.

If that's what you got out of this thread, then you need to go to remedial reading school.