Katie

Reflections of a world champion

53 minutes ago, GockeS said:

it's funny, Dake goes out of his way to get a knock in on an enormous number of people, and people here on this forum take offense at people knocking back.

Would you compare it to a verbally abusive romantic relationship?

33 minutes ago, Katie said:

Very insightful. You’ve contributed a lot to this discussion. 

Pointing out a logical fallacy is a far greater contribution than is deploying the logical fallacy.

7 minutes ago, klehner said:

Pointing out a logical fallacy is a far greater contribution than is deploying the logical fallacy.

(Guy whose only contribution fallaciously rests on an appeal to his authority)

Edited by Katie

14 minutes ago, Katie said:

(Guy whose only contribution fallaciously rests on an appeal to his authority)

Cut the crap.  You made a claim that was false.  Nobody said that everyone at Cornell is a genius.  What contribution was that?

39 minutes ago, Dr. Novak said:

So now reality sets in for McKenna.  Instead of a Stanford degree he's a graduate of giant state school of Ohio.  

His dad is the CEO of a Manhattan-based real estate development company. I think he’ll do OK. He might end up giving some of the Cornell and Columbia and even nearby Princeton alums jobs if they kiss his ass enough, although the Cornell Greek community need not apply.  

Edited by wrestlingnerd

1 hour ago, klehner said:

Cut the crap.  You made a claim that was false.  Nobody said that everyone at Cornell is a genius.  What contribution was that?

I said that sometimes I get the impression that some people on this board think something. 

Now you’re claiming that’s a false statement. 

Are you a mind reader now?

Edited by Katie

56 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

His dad is the CEO of a Manhattan-based real estate development company. I think he’ll do OK. He might end up giving some of the Cornell and Columbia and even nearby Princeton alums jobs if they kiss his ass enough, although the Cornell Greek community need not apply.  

LOL   

Are you sure someone can build a career out of a NYC family real estate business?  That sounds sketchy to me.  Has it happened before?

Is Dake speaking about wrestling or trying to make a more global statement about life?  What's the context for the remark?

Sounds like he is doing a provocative riff on the famous line that "Genius is 99% perspiration and 1 percent inspiration" (often attributed to Thomas Edison).

9 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Yes, it's fun being petty, thereby also indirectly insulting >90% of the other board members in the process.You must've been the salutatorian in Plas's class! One step short.

?? I just said they are all good schools, but Cornell is more fun to make fun of. I’m not sure why that’s insulting. You don’t see the humor in the fact that most of these wrestlers are getting agriculture degrees? Like I said, I have a ton of respect for all D1 athletes-with Cornell included in (but not separated from) that list. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

7 hours ago, NJDan said:

Jefferson died broke, too. He even had to sell his slaves.

Not the case.  He died heavily in debt, but not broke.  Still had over 130 slaves at the time of his death... there was no way he was letting them go while he was still alive.  Two Hemings children were allowed to "escape" during his life, and he freed five slaves in his will.  His family had to auction off the others.

It was pretty common for that Virginia planter class to overspend... Washington an Madison were big spenders too... Madison was pretty much broke, but refused to sell his slaves.  Washington freed his, basically upon his death (actually on Martha's death, but she freed them immediately)

43 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Not the case.  He died heavily in debt, but not broke.  Still had over 130 slaves at the time of his death... there was no way he was letting them go while he was still alive.  Two Hemings children were allowed to "escape" during his life, and he freed five slaves in his will.  His family had to auction off the others.

It was pretty common for that Virginia planter class to overspend... Washington an Madison were big spenders too... Madison was pretty much broke, but refused to sell his slaves.  Washington freed his, basically upon his death (actually on Martha's death, but she freed them immediately)

If anyone would know this it would be you,  Hamilton himself. 

You’re dead on about Jefferson overspending. He wasted all his money with that ridiculous Louisiana purchase. “Jefferson’s Folly” I call it. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

10 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

If anyone would know this it would be you,  Hamilton himself. 

You’re dead on about Jefferson overspending. He wasted all his money with that ridiculous Louisiana purchase. “Jefferson’s Folly” I call it. 

I am sorry I started this, But Jefferson did not spend his own money on the Louisiana Purchase. That was government money.  As for his personal finances, if his estate having to sell his home and his slaves (every few or whom he freed) is not "broke," I don't know what is.

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

I am sorry I started this, But Jefferson did not spend his own money on the Louisiana Purchase. That was government money.  As for his personal finances, if his estate having to sell his home and his slaves (every few or whom he freed) is not "broke," I don't know what is.

I would imagine that there are a lot of people out there that owe money on their home mortgage and car payments that are not "broke."  They still have money to eat, pay bills, and have fun.  You can be in debt and not be broke (penniless.)

Have had family and close friends who attended Cornell. Ag and Hotel are the easiest schools to get into. Just because you attend Ag doesn't mean you are going to become a farmer. You can major in econ while in Ag and become an investment banker. I've known athletes (not wrestlers though) at Cornell who have done it. Not just at Cornell, but at all the ivies, the athletes have much easier standards to get in than a regular student so don't assume just because an athlete attends an ivy he is smarter than an athlete at a non-ivy.

4 hours ago, AHamilton said:

I would imagine that there are a lot of people out there that owe money on their home mortgage and car payments that are not "broke."  They still have money to eat, pay bills, and have fun.  You can be in debt and not be broke (penniless.)

Yes, but people who have to sell their homes and cars (or slaves) because they cannot afford to keep them are properly described as "broke."

Thomas Jefferson spent his life in perpetual debt, always borrowing money with the hopes of impressing his peers with expensive clothing, fine wines, and his house, Monticello. Jefferson borrowed money from everyone, even one of his slaves! Can you believe the nerve?

Other factors definitely contributed to Jefferson’s debt problem. For starters, his agricultural business ventures continued to drain him of money. He also inherited debt from his father-in-law's passing and a loan he cosigned. Things progressively got worse for Jefferson. He eventually took on new loans just to pay the interest on old loans.

In 1826, Jefferson petitioned the Virginia legislature to sponsor a lottery for his belongings. While the legislature eventually approved this, it only raised a fraction of the money Jefferson needed. On July 4th, 1826, Jefferson died with over $100,000 in debt.

https://www.ranker.com/list/poor-us-presidents/ramsey-badawi