Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ScienceTeacher

ROTC and Wrestling in College

Recommended Posts

Do kids do ROTC and wrestle in college? Are there too many conflicts between the two? Can you wrestle at a Division I/II/III/NAIA level and do ROTC? My son wants to wrestle in college but I am looking for ways to pay for it... Thank you for input and advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScienceTeacher said:

Do kids do ROTC and wrestle in college? Are there too many conflicts between the two? Can you wrestle at a Division I/II/III/NAIA level and do ROTC? My son wants to wrestle in college but I am looking for ways to pay for it... Thank you for input and advice.

Yes, and it is fairly common. We did not have an ROTC at our college, and we lost a couple recruits because of that who wanted to go that route. We did still have lots of kids in the National Guard/Air Guard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ScienceTeacher said:

Do kids do ROTC and wrestle in college? Are there too many conflicts between the two? Can you wrestle at a Division I/II/III/NAIA level and do ROTC? My son wants to wrestle in college but I am looking for ways to pay for it... Thank you for input and advice.

My sons teammate did it successfully.  When there were conflicts(rare), ROTC took priority.  A lot of ROTC is PT and wrestling replaced that directly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CitadelWrestling said:

Everyone here at The Citadel in Charleston, SC does ROTC. They can choose to take an ROTC scholarship and serve after they graduate or they can just go into the civilian sector right after the graduate and don't have to serve. 

www.citadel.edu

glad you shared that. when I saw this topic I wondered if that might be the case at The Citadel, and VMI. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two of my teammates did it in college.  One made the national finals.  Both had to commit to enlist as LT's.  Both declined and went reserves.  One made the UFC #1 contender spot in lieu of the military.  Actually kicked Johnny Hendricks ass 2 fights before he was the champ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being a student at Army or Navy and also being on the wrestling team my be the most difficult challenge at any college. The academic and military rigor that plebes and midshipmen face is daunting. We all know the rigors of college wrestling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, gowrestle said:

Being a student at Army or Navy and also being on the wrestling team my be the most difficult challenge at any college. The academic and military rigor that plebes and midshipmen face is daunting. We all know the rigors of college wrestling. 

When I was in college we scrimmaged Army every year.

It was interesting talking to the Cadets,especially Plebes, about the rigors of the Academy compared to 

regular college,including having enough time to study.

To a man,they all said that you learn real fast "attention to detail" and "time management".

Also amazing how polite they were in conversation,and how tough they were on the mat

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2019 at 5:52 PM, olddirty said:

Two of my teammates did it in college.  One made the national finals.  Both had to commit to enlist as LT's.  Both declined and went reserves.  One made the UFC #1 contender spot in lieu of the military.  Actually kicked Johnny Hendricks ass 2 fights before he was the champ.

Irrelevant to the conversation, but curious as to who your teammate was, I checked Hendricks' MMA record. He won the title in March 2014. The fight prior to that he lost to GSP (who vacated the belt shortly thereafter). And prior to that loss, Hendricks won 6 bouts in a row. His loss before that win streak was to Rick Story in the Ultimate Fighter 12 finals by a 29-28 decision. A quick google search tells me Story made the NAIA national finals for Southern Oregon University. So in short, he beat Hendricks 8 fights before Hendricks became the champ. Still impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Crotalus said:

Irrelevant to the conversation, but curious as to who your teammate was, I checked Hendricks' MMA record. He won the title in March 2014. The fight prior to that he lost to GSP (who vacated the belt shortly thereafter). And prior to that loss, Hendricks won 6 bouts in a row. His loss before that win streak was to Rick Story in the Ultimate Fighter 12 finals by a 29-28 decision. A quick google search tells me Story made the NAIA national finals for Southern Oregon University. So in short, he beat Hendricks 8 fights before Hendricks became the champ. Still impressive.

Thanks for doing the search, I was curious as well.  I remember Story and did not know he was that accomplished as a wrestler.  His MMA career seemed to have peaked with the Hendricks win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×