I follow her on Instagram and obviously she still trains, but does anyone else feel like she's embraced "the fame" a little more than "the grind" since the Olympics.

She seldom competes (I know she had the concussion stuff).... I dunno. she was soooo good from neutral, just great to watch, I wish she wouldve stayed fully invested but I feel like she hasnt. Could just be talking out my rear but anyone know why she competes so little anymore?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I believe the, "concussion stuff" was pretty serious.
Even if she never wrestles again, she was great for USA wrestling and she was great for Women's wrestling.
100% she was everyones favorite. I knew it lingered for awhile didnt know it had career ending potential. BOOOOO. You're right though, great ambassadorador in every capacity. Dangit. Miss her foot sweeps

Well from all we ended up finding out about the concussion issue it really messed her up for awhile and she was warned against even competing again.     She basically went into last years competition without any actual wrestling contact for several months. And even then you can tell she was more cautious than her usual approach.    From what I’ve read the concern over the conclusion is evident.  On the other hand I’ve not seen or heard anything showing she’s just trying to squeeze what she can out of “the fame.”  Sure she’s used the platform to get her voice out, but I’ve not seen nearly the “embrace the fame” type of activity like we saw from Cejudo after his Olympic win.  I wouldn’t be surprised if she tried to make one more Olympic run.  But I also wouldn’t be surprised if she ended up hanging it up during her pre-Olympic training due to the concern related to the concussion causing her to lose her edge.

Edited by MadMardigain

Well from all we ended up finding out about the concussion issue it really messed her up for awhile and she was warned against even competing again.     She basically went into last years competition without any actual wrestling contact for several months. And even then you can tell she was more cautious than her usual approach.    From what I’ve read the concern over the conclusion is evident.  On the other hand I’ve not seen or heard anything showing she’s just trying to squeeze what she can out of “the fame.”  Sure she’s used the platform to get her voice out, but I’ve not seen nearly the “embrace the fame” type of activity like we saw from Cejudo after his Olympic win.  I wouldn’t be surprised if she tried to make one more Olympic run.  But I also wouldn’t be surprised if she ended up hanging it up during her pre-Olympic training due to the concern related to the concussion causing her to lose her edge.

Nice reference, Cejudo really did just become a celeb/non wrestler. Not the same with Helen at all, I guess I just see her modeling and stuff and miss the days when she was grinding everyday, but also understand with a devastating head injury things do change.

39 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I follow her on Instagram and obviously she still trains, but does anyone else feel like she's embraced "the fame" a little more than "the grind" since the Olympics.

She seldom competes (I know she had the concussion stuff).... I dunno. she was soooo good from neutral, just great to watch, I wish she wouldve stayed fully invested but I feel like she hasnt. Could just be talking out my rear but anyone know why she competes so little anymore?

I can acknowledge your reasoning; yet, it is hard to overlook the fact that she outscored here opponents 52-0 in 2017. The Helen we've seen in the last 18 months is not the same Helen. She has obviously been affected by the injuries/concussions; the question is how much? Regardless, she has done so much for the sport, especially in the US.

I remember reading the effects the last concussion had on her and it was traumatic.  Right there in then, as much as I would love to see her compete, I would recommend immediately to retire.  Knowing what we now know about concussions, it's a no brainer.  

Her instagram shows Tokyo 2020 so maybe she will be back next year!!!!  Im hoping so and its the same girl from 2016-2017
Would make me happier than anything

If she never wrestles another match, she has nothing to be ashamed of.  She doesn't owe anybody anything.  The future health of her brain (especially in light of all the long-term CTE damage being discovered in high-level athletes in contact sports) supersedes everything else.  Thanks, Helen, for repping our country and sport so well.

Note* I did reference the concussion and did say
"Could just be talking out my rear but anyone know why she competes so little anymore?"

Like the very next poster explained the severity of the concussion issue and I acknowledged I wasnt aware it was so bad.
I'm not shaming Helen or anything like that, shes one of my favorite wrestlers. Just noticed she is trending more towards a social media dynamo than an on the mat dynamo and I still feel like she could continue her reign. Obviously nobody wants that at the cost of her health.

Again the post was not meant as an attack on Helen

17 hours ago, Mphillips said:

I believe the, "concussion stuff" was pretty serious.

Even if she never wrestles again, she was is great for USA wrestling and she was  is great for Women's wrestling.

FIFY

mspart

Just saw her post on Twitter. Apparently it hasnt been the concussions of late and she isnt retiring.

"To answer this question I keep getting... I am not retired or retiring. I just had major shoulder surgery after the 2018 World Championships in November. Haven’t been cleared yet, but see you on the mat soon ."

On 5/1/2019 at 4:06 PM, spladle08 said:

Nice reference, Cejudo really did just become a celeb/non wrestler. Not the same with Helen at all, I guess I just see her modeling and stuff and miss the days when she was grinding everyday, but also understand with a devastating head injury things do change.

To be fair, he did become a world champion in another extremely competitive pro sport after the Olympics.  Stephan Neal became a non wrestler after his world gold too.

To be fair, he did become a world champion in another extremely competitive pro sport after the Olympics.  Stephan Neal became a non wrestler after his world gold too.
Yeah he definitely regained his competitive fire. Love his UFC work. Glad he didn't stop competing completely