CoachWrestling

The fall of Penn State

3 minutes ago, CoachWrestling said:

Internet released their annual top recruiting classes and Penn State was not in the top 10. Could we see a fall in Penn State or will they continue their dominance? 

Can you post that link to the release?

If you included Brooks, Beard, Nevills, and Joe Lee, they would probably be number one (though close with tOSU).  Grayshirting kind of throws off recruiting rankings. 

Edited by LemonPie

PSU is not going to continue to dominate at the level it has the past few years, but the team race will no longer be a foregone conclusion like it has been the past few years. That being said, I’ll consider them the clear favorite to win it again next season if Cassar gets his 6th year and Cael goes for it. By “goes for it” I mean Hall and Cenzo don’t take Olympic redshirts  (Hall’s Olympic weight class and the likelihood that he’d be going for the same spot as DT is a subject for another thread).

Depending on Olympic redshirts, I think PSU either wins it again in 2020 or 2021, but not both. I think it’s Iowa’s team title to lose either next season (if Hall and Cenzo do take Olympic redshirts) or 2021 (if they don’t). That also assumes Spencer doesn’t take an Olympic redshirt next season, which would shock me given the fact he seems to have stopped wrestling freestyle altogether since he’s been at Iowa.

In 2022 I’d still have PSU as the favorite, but a lot can happen between now and then. Their young crop of grey shirts should be racking up team points and Teske will be a junior with RBY, Verk, and Berge all being seniors.

5 hours ago, LemonPie said:

If you included Brooks, Beard, Nevills, and Joe Lee, they would probably be number one (though close with tOSU).  Grayshirting kind of throws off recruiting rankings. 

They were included in last year’s rankings, and Penn State was #1 and Ohio State #2. 2019  is what this newest Intermat article is referencing. Ohio State has done well for themselves these last two year.. time will tell if it closes the gap. You guys want some competition at some point....right? Lol

From Ohio State’s Eleven Warriors:

”PSU was #1 last year and tOSU #2. This is from Intermat. 

1. Penn State
Top 100 recruits: No. 6 Seth Nevills (Clovis, Calif.), No. 10 Joe Lee (Evansville Mater Dei, Ind./NLWC), No. 12 Michael Beard (Malvern Prep, Pa.), No. 14 Aaron Brooks (North Hagerstown, Md.), No. 15 Roman Bravo-Young (Sunnyside, Ariz.), No. 20 Gavin Teasdale (Jefferson-Morgan, Pa.), and No. 37 Brody Teske (Fort Dodge, Iowa)“

I don't necessarily think they have to overstock the cabinet every year.  When you are able to load weights with 3-4 fresh and soph AA and R12's followed by 4-5 Jr. / Sr. All Americans every year you are always going to be in it. They have established themselves as the Iowa of old.  They are going to get a couple top recruits every year. They may not load multiple recruits in one weight like they have, but when a weight has a junior or senior and the top recruits realize the spot will be opening they will still sign. If I'm a top recruit o might not go to PSU if they have the top recruits the year or two prior in my weight.  However, I might sign if the weight I want will be opening up in a couple years.

6 hours ago, LemonPie said:

You mean deferred enrollment.

Life is grand when you can take some time off, get at it and earn your measly NCAA scholly, then look forward to the backside when the real money comes into play. Reserve my Ford Raptor in red please.

Of course only top recruits need apply.

On 5/3/2019 at 9:32 AM, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

There will be a few older than that...

Some just don’t want to deal with the harsh realities and ambiguities of the real world and stay within the safety net that college provides. 

6 hours ago, gowrestle said:

Some just don’t want to deal with the harsh realities and ambiguities of the real world and stay within the safety net that college provides. 

Translation - lots of those kids are going to drop out!