Sign in to follow this  
MDogg

Penn State hosting 2020 Olympic Team Trials

I know this isn’t new and has been the case for past Olympic Team Trials, but if we want the best team to represent us on the world stage we should host our team trials at a neutral location. I have Taylor as a lock to make the team regardless, but seems like USA Wrestling is doing itself a disservice by potentially having somebody sitting in the finals and wrestling on his home mat. Winning 2 matches on your home mat is just too easy of a path to making an Olympic Team. I know that privilege is earned by medaling the previous year, but it still seems like too extreme of an advantage. 

Just look at it from Zahid’s perspective: he could potentially see Mark Hall in the challenge tournament finals and then turn around and have to beat David Taylor 2 out of 3.

Did I read it correctly on another thread that the Final X contract expires this year?

Do we know if it's looking good to get re-upped, for the Olympics and beyond?

If it doesn't, are we going back to the previous qualification route, where the qualifying tourney and the best of three were on the same day?  Or will the qualification process of the past two years get re-packaged with a new name/sponsor?

19 hours ago, hootie said:

Did I read it correctly on another thread that the Final X contract expires this year?

If it doesn't, are we going back to the previous qualification route, where the qualifying tourney and the best of three were on the same day?  Or will the qualification process of the past two years get re-packaged with a new name/sponsor?

Looks like Final X is out for 2020, not sure if that’s just because it’s an Olympic year or it’s gone for good. 

Challenge tournament will be day 1. Best of 3 finals will be day 2. If no returning world medalist sitting in the finals then the 2 challenge tournament finalists will face off in best of 3 on day 2.

The other big change that I love is that 2019 world medalists in non-Olympic weights get a bye to the semi finals of the challenge tournament. So if Cox (or Nickal) medals this year at 92kg they would have to win 2 matches on day 1 before facing Syder the next day in a best of 3. 

I guess they can only advance them to the semis because there’s a possibility 3 2019 world medalists try for the same Olympic weight in 2020...so you you can’t advance 2 guys to the finals and still have a challenge tournament.

Edited by MDogg

4 hours ago, hootie said:

Final X is meant for a 10-weight platform; the Olympic trials consists of 6 weights. If the 10-weight tournament returns for 2021, then I believe we might see Final X again.

Edited by yonz_g

3 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

USOC owns the Olympic Trials. The Final X contract is with USAW and Flo. The USOC doesn’t own the World Team Trials.

That's a shame.  The main thing I like about Final X is that it takes away the unfair advantage of a BYE to the final best-of-three.  Guys having to go through a challenge tourney to meet a well rested opponent in the final never sat well with me.

11 hours ago, lu_alum said:

That's a shame.  The main thing I like about Final X is that it takes away the unfair advantage of a BYE to the final best-of-three.  Guys having to go through a challenge tourney to meet a well rested opponent in the final never sat well with me.

USOC owns the event, USAW sets the procedures. 

18 hours ago, MDogg said:

If no returning medalist at the weight looks like it will be a single finals match held on day 1.

Thanks for the replies everyone, but is the above correct?  Seems odd; wouldn't they wrestle up until the finals on day 1, then have the best of three on day 2?

26 minutes ago, hootie said:

Thanks for the replies everyone, but is the above correct?  Seems odd; wouldn't they wrestle up until the finals on day 1, then have the best of three on day 2?

I just reread the actual USAW info dump and I stand corrected. If no 2019 world medalist at the weight then the 2 wrestlers who make the finals will be a best of 3 series on day 2. So all matches on day 1 will be single matches and all matches on day 2 will be best of 3.

I don’t think I like that our qualifier will need to (presumably) make weight back to back days even though the Olympics will be only one day weigh in. 2 day weigh ins give yet another huge advantage to the medalist sitting in the finals.