PAFAN01

Watered Down Olympics

I was considering the 2020 Olympics. After looking at the schedule, the drop of number of competitors to 16 per weight and only 6 weights per discipline I felt that the expense would not be worth it.  The World Championships are a better deal and I feel being a World Champion is now more valuable or prestigious.  I will save my dollars to attend World Championships.  UWW should have World Championships every year including Olympic years.

Edited by PAFAN01
change font

Perhaps you will get more bang for your buck at the World Championships, but the level of competition at Olympic weights is hardly watered down.  It's an unfortunate side effect of being cut down to 6 weights, but  it's quite possibly more difficult to win Olympic gold now than ever before.  

49 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Perhaps you will get more bang for your buck at the World Championships, but the level of competition at Olympic weights is hardly watered down.  It's an unfortunate side effect of being cut down to 6 weights, but  it's quite possibly more difficult to win Olympic gold now than ever before.  

Well maybe the least they could do is to have wrestle backs (double elimination) since time to complete should not be an issue.

Yeah after condensing the weights "watered down" makes 0 sense.
But you do get more wrestling at the worlds so if that's what you desire, go watch!
And they do have worlds on the Olympic years (now) for non Olympic competitors, those are the "watered down" weights

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, spladle08 said:

Yeah after condensing the weights "watered down" makes 0 sense.
But you do get more wrestling at the worlds so if that's what you desire, go watch!
And they do have worlds on the Olympic years (now) for non Olympic competitors, those are the "watered down" weights

Yes but considering the cut to 16 wrestlers per weight some possible contenders will not be there.  

Yes but considering the cut to 16 wrestlers per weight some possible contenders will not be there.  
Less, does not mean worse. If a wrestler is a true contender they will qualify. Whether its worlds or olympics, each country can only send 1. Yeah some countries are 2 or 3 guys deep but if the guys cant qualify they dont go. Let's you know it's truly the BEST guys in the world, all competing. Here in USA either Dake or Burroughs will stay home. If we have 10 weights sure they can both squeeze into the lineup, but it doesnt make the tournament any harder. Easier if anything by diluting the concentration of talent.

Only having 6 weight classes does reduce quality somewhat by forcing athletes to compete at weights that are not optimal for their natural body size.

That giant gap between 74 and 86 KG contains a lot of wrestlers, particularly in the U.S. where the population is a bit bigger than most other countries.

Each country that has qualified a weight should have two wrestlers in the weight class.

Or, all the other "individual" sports should be limited to one competitor per nation.

In wrestling, a true double elimination tournament is the way to go. All that way and you should be guaranteed at least two matches and true placement.

The reduction in weight classes to 6 bothers me a lot more than reduction in wrestlers per weight to 16. Lets be honest, extremely few legit medal threats are going to be left out because the field is down to 16. How many countries medaled in freestyle in 2016? I don’t know the answer myself but I’d bet the farm it was less than 16. 

If anything I think the 2019 worlds will be a little watered down at the non-Olympic weights. The best of the best are going for the weights they’ll need to be at in 2020. At this year’s worlds the international field at 86kg and 97kg is going to be a lot tougher than 79kg and 92kg. 

THE OLYMPICS IS AN INTERNATIONAL EVENT SPANNING MULTIPLE SPORTS. IT ALLOWS PEOPLE TO SEE NEW THINGS INCLUDING WRESTLING. PEOPLE STILL DISCOVERING OUR SPORT THROUGH THIS AVENUE AND WATCHING IT IS GOOD FOR IT. 

THE OLYMPICS IS AN INTERNATIONAL EVENT SPANNING MULTIPLE SPORTS. IT ALLOWS PEOPLE TO SEE NEW THINGS INCLUDING WRESTLING. PEOPLE STILL DISCOVERING OUR SPORT THROUGH THIS AVENUE AND WATCHING IT IS GOOD FOR IT. 
Solid point, I have several friends who will say "the only wrestlers I know are xyz, from when I watched the Olympics" I'm always like wow.... didnt expect you to know 1... but 2 or 3.... I'm impressed.

I have been to several Olympics and primarily for wrestling.  I have attended the other events and agree that the Olympics are more than just wrestling.  Might say that i am spoiled and for this reason I was looking to go only for FS wrestling and consequently thought that the overall expense outweighed the only limited 16 wrestlers per weight.  The Olympics is also an opportunity to visit the country.  I have been to Tokyo Japan so this is also part of my reasoning.

Bottom line for me is that you have to pay extra premium prices because it is the Olympics so I am going to spend my dollars at World Championships and see more wrestling. Oslo Norway, here I come (2021).

I wish the field for the Olympics was expanded a bit.  Part of the fun in watching the Olympics is seeing who can sneak through qualifying and provide some comic relief.  My dad went to the 84 games in LA and told me about a diver from like Equitorial Guinea or somewhere and it was pretty obvious he wasn't a real diver, like he was a relative of a government minister or something and he basically did a belly flop since he couldn't really dive all that well. Or that woman who skiied for some country in Europe and she managed to qualify by not finishing last or crashing at skiing events prior to the games.  Or Eddie the Eagle who they made a movie about.  This kind of stuff is what makes the games more fun to watch.   

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

Solid point, I have several friends who will say "the only wrestlers I know are xyz, from when I watched the Olympics" I'm always like wow.... didnt expect you to know 1... but 2 or 3.... I'm impressed.

Ha ha ha... I agree 3 is pretty dang good.