Plasmodium

Last Chance Result Discussion

Are you kidding? He dominated decent competition. No way he beats either of them. I think he matches up horribly against Ringer in FS and Zahid has been getting the better of him recently so

I do think Hall is not too far behind Zahid and Ringer, but I don’t know how you can place him ahead simply based on teching his way through NE regionals. Ringer had a 10-0 first period tech over Marstellar... that’s a much more impressive win than any of Halls. 

9 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I do think Hall is not too far behind Zahid and Ringer, but I don’t know how you can place him ahead simply based on teching his way through NE regionals. Ringer had a 10-0 first period tech over Marstellar... that’s a much more impressive win than any of Halls. 

Marstellar and Walsh were comparable last year.

Heil with some good wins (he's become a much better freestyler, I've eaten my words). 0 chance of doing anything at WTT

Hall with "wins" exactly as we would've expected them to go. He's obviously good (junior world champ). But both Ringer and Valencia are superior to him from neutral (which when we get down to it becomes the biggest separator with elite freestylers, cept for Colon and that damn gutwrench). And they've been focused on the FS grind. I'll take him 3rd, I think he's closer to losing to Marstellar at WTT than he is to beating Valencia/Ringer. But anything's possible, will be a fun watch

*edit: maybe I was heavy handed there, he isnt losing to Marstellar.... but I do feel like he is solidly behind the top 2. I think the odds of him beating both Valencia and Ringer are maybe equal to the odds of him losing to Marstellar (once).... it's just unlikely. I would like to see him vs Dake though, just cause*

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

It happened very quickly (Sanders pushed up and escaped from the position a moment later), but it appeared to me Terao had the winning takedown vs Sanders in the 57kg final. 

IMG_20190504_080453.jpg

Edited by rpm002

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

Heil with some good wins (he's become a much better freestyler, I've eaten my words). 0 chance of doing anything at WTT

Hall with "wins" exactly as we would've expected them to go. He's obviously good (junior world champ). But both Ringer and Valencia are superior to him from neutral (which when we get down to it becomes the biggest separator with elite freestylers, cept for Colon and that damn gutwrench). And they've been focused on the FS grind. I'll take him 3rd, I think he's closer to losing to Marstellar at WTT than he is to beating Valencia/Ringer. But anything's possible, will be a fun watch

*edit: maybe I was heavy handed there, he isnt losing to Marstellar.... but I do feel like he is solidly behind the top 2. I think the odds of him beating both Valencia and Ringer are maybe equal to the odds of him losing to Marstellar (once).... it's just unlikely. I would like to see him vs Dake though, just cause*

Are we sure Chance is going 79kg? Is he not allowed to change weights for WTT? 

Are we sure Chance is going 79kg? Is he not allowed to change weights for WTT? 

I have no actual knowledge of the rules but he placed 2nd at the Open at 79kg. And that's his only form of qualification for WTT right? I can see NCAA champs or Junior World team members being able to jump into a seemingly "new" weight but I would assume Open placers are locked into the weights they competed at there.

Chance must really, really dislike cutting weight. He must be the shortest 79 kg wrestler ever. 
I'm interested in seeing Ringer up a weight next year. I know hes not a midget but it feels like he will be solidly undersized. He claims putting on the weight wont be an issue at all, but I would hate to see him lose any explosiveness.

I don't understand the idea that Zahid has opened up some kind of gap against Hall. They wrestled twice this season. Hall won the first and Zahid was the beneficiary of a close call that could have gone the other way in the second. It's possible that he has outpaced Hall, but I think we need more evidence before acting like it's obvious.

I don't understand the idea that Zahid has opened up some kind of gap against Hall. They wrestled twice this season. Hall won the first and Zahid was the beneficiary of a close call that could have gone the other way in the second. It's possible that he has outpaced Hall, but I think we need more evidence before acting like it's obvious.

With pushouts, shot clocks, and the promotion of constant neutral action. Zahid's game fits freestyle more than Halls does. However they are reasonably close and a leglace or front headlock or any other series of turns, could turn the tide in Halls favor quickly, but after having seen Zahid v Dake and Zahid v Deiringer last year I think its reasonable to think he has solid enough defense to not give up a series of turns.

We can only speculate, it should be a fun watch.

29 minutes ago, IronChef said:

when did they wrestle?

Perhaps he doesn't know there is a College board for posting such? ;_;
Lol just trying to draw a bad correlation, between 2 entirely different things. :)

Either way, I'm excited for all things WTT

How is it a bad correlation? Both styles start neutral. Both are well versed in both styles.

Mark Hall is also historically better at Freestyle than Zahid(results results results). There is no reason to believe that Zahid wins easily unless you're a Penn State hater or a Zahid gobbler.

It will be a match(if Zahid even enters or goes 79kg). Nate Jackson may be back down there(remember he is qualified for both 79 and 86) as well as DMF, Aaron Brooks, and Marstellar? It will be a fun bracket, but make no mistake Hall and Valencia will meet in the finals.

Edited by nhs67
Meh.

How is it a bad correlation? Both styles start neutral. Both are well versed in both styles.

Mark Hall is also historically better at Freestyle than Zahid(results results results). There is no reason to believe that Zahid wins easily unless you're a Penn State hater or a Zahid gobbler.

It will be a match(if Zahid even enters or goes 79kg). Nate Jackson may be back down there(remember he is qualified for both 79 and 86) as well as DMF, Aaron Brooks, and Marstellar? It will be a fun bracket, but make no mistake Hall and Valencia will meet in the finals.

Don't be so harsh. Bad because folkstyle results mean little in Free so it doesnt translate tit for tat.

I mean yeah Mark is a junior champ while Zahid is a junior runner-up.

But more recently Zahid has better folk results and recently better Freestyle. He beat Ringer and took the future tech machine senior world champ into some deep waters in some close matches.

Hall has the best chance of "the field" @ WTT, as you alluded to, But he is clearly (at this point) the #4 guy overall at 79kg

DAKE-Zahid-Ringer-Hall.

I hope Ringer has solved Zahid, but I'm not in any way confident.

Hall however is just completely unproven going on 2 years, against quality freestyle competition, hence most people reasoning he will come in 3rd overall at WTT.

And assuming he is #4 behind 3 guys who are likely top 10 in the world at 79kg is in no way a slight, or make me a PSU hater, the top of the weight domestically is just very elite.

3 hours ago, spladle08 said:

I'm interested in seeing Ringer up a weight next year. I know hes not a midget but it feels like he will be solidly undersized. He claims putting on the weight wont be an issue at all, but I would hate to see him lose any explosiveness.

He will be “underlengthed” but not undersized. He is a mesomorph with a frame capable of holding a lot of muscle athletically. He’s “big all over” as they say. Ringer weighed in the 180s with respectable bodyfat before his cuts to 157 while in college. I see him bulking up to high 190s if not low 200s and then making the easy cut to 189. 

He will give up a lot of leverage to taller guys like DT and Nickal but he doesn’t really wrestle a style too dependent on leverage. I don’t love his prospects at 86 kg but I think they’re better than at 74 kg where he’ll be completely sucked out only to face tougher competition anyway. 

Yeah, I agree, i didnt particularly see him being out-muscled, more so generally outsized. Just not enough frame. However. I do think Nickal will go up, but I see DT as being too much human for the shorter Ringer.... but the more I think about it, they were both down at 74 with the same frames they have now minus muscle, and in that matchup I wouldnt think Ringer has 0 shot. Hell he may end up being our second guy. Maybe even first. 86kg feels like light years away from 74. Just like 61 is light years from 74, but bigger guys = smaller weight gap, especially having these "transitional years" at 79. Yeah I could easily see Ringer as the #2, I dont know who I would pick ahead of him "right now" although guys like Zahid and Mymar will provide some solid resistance.

2 hours ago, IronChef said:

I’m an ASU fan and I agree somewhat. 

Zahid stylistically is a tough matchup for Hall. He is something like 10-2 against him all time. While many of those are from when they are younger, that is still extremely consistent, especially considering 1 of Hall’s wins wasn’t due to him being a better wrestler (It was a legitimate headgear pull and win for Hall...and yes I know about the late takedown). 

Anyways - none of this means Zahid is more likely to go deep into a freestyle tournament. In fact, Hall clearly has done better in freestyle. At junior worlds he was also in tougher weights than Zahid in both years he won gold. Zahid lost to Goleij, who is good but maybe a 3rd stringer for Iran during Iran’s worst wrestling years in a long time. Hall has 1 bad freestyle loss ever to Nagy, but it was mostly due to Nagy’s excellent defensive tactics. 

If Hall runs into Zahid at trials, I’ll pick Zahid. That is why I was surprised Hall didn’t go to the Open. It was his best shot at avoiding Zahid. If he could’ve beaten Ringer, he would be sitting in wtt finals and Ringer could’ve eliminated Zahid before the finals. 

I really want Hall at Final X, only because of the style matchup. I’m a big Zahid fan but I just don’t see him beating Dake and a fresh matchup would be more fun. 

7 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Marstellar and Walsh were comparable last year.

Yeah they were very comparable in 2018 in folkstyle. I think they actually split matches. I was probably over exaggerating a bit, but Chance has had some very good freestyle results and I am just not familiar with anything Walsh has done post grad. Is he even training full time?