spladle08

Quickest "breaking news" ?

Who is the quickest with all the college info?
I know Pat Mineo is quicker than Flo, but is there somewhere quicker than him?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Randoms don’t have to vet their info. Blind squirrels. It’s a close-knit sport, so even those of us who legit cover it can get beat by a friend of a friend. Hearing something and posting it without any blowback doesn’t mean it’s consistently reliable. Especially when you live on social and can delete all the times you’re wrong.

The social accounts for the usual suspects are faster than websites.

Lol this was definitely a beer induced post.

Was just poking fun with the Mineo thing. However I am curious now, who is putting out the quickest info.

I'd assume it's one of the sites Twitter. And now I'm even more curious over how confirmed it has to be before being posted about on the actual site. Does everyone reach out to all the people involved in any said deal?

Schools first? kids first? Coaches first? Now I want to know more about the process

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

Randoms don’t have to vet their info. Blind squirrels. It’s a close-knit sport, so even those of us who legit cover it can get beat by a friend of a friend. Hearing something and posting it without any blowback doesn’t mean it’s consistently reliable. Especially when you live on social and can delete all the times you’re wrong.

The social accounts for the usual suspects are faster than websites.

I agree. Recruiting “scoops” are ridiculous. I really don’t care if I find out where a HS athlete is going to college 1 hour before he announces it.  

Recruiting scoops have evolved from parents and wrestlers informing sites to kids creating graphics and owning the moment themselves. Willie probably has the best line on the Top 100/blue chippers, but the state-based sites also hit this pretty good.

As far as coaching hires, etc., that’s more or less who insiders are feeding since there is very little with a hiring process that a news outlet can investigate without having a connected alum or someone on the search committee who wants to drip the info out there.

Social media has changed how news breaks with the traditional formats. But also with social media, everyone can try to break the news, some have more freedom than others since fans have zero accountability if they’re wrong and few people see it anyway.

Yes! The inside scoop stuff can be fun to read but the vast majority of folks aren’t journalists and don’t have to vet their sources or fact-check as thoroughly.

College basketball recruiting has developed an entire industry of ppl who make a living off of “crystal ball” predictions and such based on shaky at best anecdotes (and are incorrect as often as they are correct - or they pivot quickly and change their predictions). It’s entertaining, but it isn’t always journalism, so grain of salt and all.