BurroughsAskren400x250.jpg?h=250&w=400&la=en&hash=EBE4760AA904D9185DF73D068303C8C7BFCEF83B
Didn't realize Akren had a few inches on JB.   That changes my perspective.  Does JB even have a chance?
Also, Askren edges out Carl for having the sharpest features of any person I have seen.  Bleeder?
3 things.

1.) I too thought "man has his face gotten more unique over time" his features look damn near man-made, like when an old female tries to stay young and it goes terribly wrong.

2.) I also didnt realize his height, or JB's shortness, either way expected them to be nearly identical

3.) I know Burroughs can tech him quickly, legit like a couple 4s and a 2 inside of the first period. But I fear hes gonna try to make it "fun" and go fairly light.... lots of hate coming his way from the MMA community though so maybe thatll force him into crushing.

Love em both, bring on tonight. (More excited for Yainni though)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Would be awesome to see them get in scramble and just for kicks see JB on his back for min, I have never seen JB on his back I want to see if he has been practicing bridges in the room

Ben Askren used to be very cocky after his interview I have lots of respect win loose Ben is great person to represent the sport we are lucky he is so involved.

Edited by CaliWrestler

The length of JB's arms and legs are misleading.  He's only 5'7".  He looks taller in matches, even his wife has commented on this.  I don't think that height difference is going to cause too many problems.  At worst, he may get JB in a cradle like DT did.  

14 minutes ago, misterc said:

At worst, he may get JB in a cradle like DT did.  

If Askren gets Burroughs in a cradle, he's in trouble. 

edit--rereading this it's stupid how obvious this statement is.  I just meant that if Askren locks up a cradle it's over, not just going to be a roll-through for 2 like DT did to him way back when.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie v2

I was just thinking back on some of Askrens accomplishments during his college days, and remember him beating Herbert.
I keep picturing Herbert as this monster and just so much bigger than JB and Askren...
Did Askren ever cut weight?

6 minutes ago, ptz305 said:

Askren wasn't on JB's level as a wrestler at his prime, 10 years ago, and he isn't today.

With that said, he can cradle anyone. Makes this interesting. 

Freestyle is J B's advantage but in real wrestling Folk style J B was never anywhere close to Askren

If JB goes out and wrestles like it is a high level international freestyle event, avoiding scrambles and danger positions like he normally would, he will easily win.  But that would be almost unfair and probably not why BTS agreed to schedule this match up.  To make it exciting for the fans, I think JB is almost required to get into some scramble type situations to give Askren a chance. 

Askren wasn't on JB's level as a wrestler at his prime, 10 years ago, and he isn't today.
With that said, he can cradle anyone. Makes this interesting. 
Aside from the cradle thing, everything you said is what makes this "not interesting".
Its bringing eyes to the event which it was designed to do.
But in his prime nobody would've expected Askren to even compete with a World Champion... 10 years removed, it's fun to remember his NCAA days but realistically. Look at JBs what 5? 6? Lifetime international losses? I cant think of all of em but.
Marable's stallin ass
Tsargush
Chamizo
Guedev
Abdurakmonov
(Didnt Dake snag one in a best of 3)

Anyway... he didn't get caught in cradles and old man funk just in no way is gonna get it done.

Don't tell me that David Taylor roll through somehow proves Askren will pin him.

That said, exciting event go go go

(Also wish Snyder/Cox/Taylor) had real matches. I know it was initially billed as usa team memebers vs ncaa champs. But.... yeah I dunno

Freestyle is J B's advantage but in real wrestling Folk style J B was never anywhere close to Askren

Lol dont be silly.

That bracket he won

With

Leen

Poeta

Gillespie

Etc... in it. Was just as impressive as any of Ben's wins.

Ben was a pioneer in funk, but it's been coached and developed. Things change, it's just not as "new" anymore .

2 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Lol dont be silly.

That bracket he won

With

Leen

Poeta

Gillespie

Ben was a pioneer in funk, but it's been coached and developed. Things change, it's just not as "new" anymore .

Agreed.  I thought that comment was a bit over the top.  Both dominated, just not in the same ways.

Ben is still in his prime athletically.  He's undefeated in mixed martial arts and just put Robbie Lawler to sleep in the first round.  However, I don't think he has a chance against JB in freestyle.  If this were a fight or a folkstyle match I would choose Askren.  

Askren is dropping weight to get to 79kg, right?  What about an Askren vs. Dake? Ringer? Zahid?  Hall?
He was gonna do Midlands to see Zahid in Folk, but with UFC debut pending had to put it on back burner.

Again I think everyone on here would agree
Zahid, Dake, Ringer, are all current top 10s in the world.

Any athlete no matter their skill level and no matter how fit they have stayed, would have trouble coming back, from a 10 year layoff to be competitive with current top 10 athletes. (Any sport)

46 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Lol dont be silly.

That bracket he won

With

Leen

Poeta

Gillespie

None of those guys compare to Pendleton.  Askren may have lost to him a million times but he did beat him and it's a folkstyle win way above any of JB's.

None of those guys compare to Pendleton.  Askren may have lost to him a million times but he did beat him and it's a folkstyle win way above any of JB's.
Lol Askren and E.K. Waldhaus both
Pendleton was the man, and yes did put it on him regularly.

I played pool with he and Nathan Morgan one summer in Stillwater. I asked what was next and if he would ever fight. He acted like I asked if he was going to marry his sister.
He kind of went on to explain he saw that as a "bad" (if not the worst) path to take, which surprised me. But some people are rasslin purists

I think it would be more interesting if they did best of 3.  One period freestyle (mostly a neutral battle benefiting JB), one period period top/bottom folkstlye (Askrens advantage) and if it gets to it third period folkstyle neutral (maybe a toss up based on control from scrambling).  My other suggesting would be the 3rd period be a JuJitsu match to throw in a MMA angle to this.  With the for getting into holds without extending a joint to injury but I think that would give Askren an advantage in two areas that although he's not great at it either yet.

Edited by MadMardigain

5 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Lol dont be silly.

That bracket he won

With

Leen

Poeta

Gillespie

Askren's bracket in 2006 had Herbert (3, 2, 1, 1) and Mark Perry (2, 3, 1, 1) in it.  His bracket in 2007 had Keith Gavin (NCAA champ and world team member) and Steve Luke (NCAA champ).  Including Pendleton, he's got folkstyle wins against two 2-timers (one of them a hodge trophy winner).  None of the guys you listed have resumes like that.  

Edited by XiXiTiger

6 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

BurroughsAskren400x250.jpg?h=250&w=400&l

Didn't realize Akren had a few inches on JB.   That changes my perspective.  Does JB even have a chance?

Also, Askren edges out Carl for having the sharpest features of any person I have seen.  Bleeder?

Surely a Northman with those features. Only chance here for Askren is basically Burroughs is up a weight/Askren is the bigger guy. That is pretty much it.  

Askren's bracket in 2006 had Herbert (3, 2, 1, 1) and Mark Perry (2, 3, 1, 1) in it.  His bracket in 2007 had Keith Gavin (NCAA champ and world team member) and Steve Luke (NCAA champ).  Including Pendleton, he's got folkstyle wins against two 2-timers (one of them a hodge trophy winner).  None of the guys you listed have resumes like that.  
Alright alright I'll do the research, of victories vs accolades, unfortunately