wrestlingphish

Beat The Streets Conversation

He brought a lot of attention to wrestling. Good man.
Which was the whole purpose.
0% hate towards Askren for taking the time to raise money.
100% hate towards the boards for talking about the possibility of a pin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

i watched yanni on a phone while driving, so, it might be off a little, but, his free is still sloppy in positions... yet still beats the #1 wrestler in the world... he tightens up he is gonna be out of control...

I know this was just an exhibition, but I don't see the point of scheduling matches that are uncompetitive.    I don't enjoy seeing Kyle Snyder or J''den Cox wrestler far inferior guys.   Here's an idea:  let Cox wrestle Snyder! 

Well, after watching Suriano down Colon tonight, and Mueller handling Picc, I have to say congrats to both, but after watching those two matches, I was thinking man what if Spencer Lee was healthy and wrestling. 

So I guess in my mind, the biggest story of the night is Yianni, and even though we all know about all of Yianni's accomplishments,  but prior to the U.S. Open, I wasn't thinking that he would be our guy at 65 this year. But now with the U.S. Open behind him and with his win over Punia tonight, it makes me think that a World Team berth and medal for Yianni this year is a  very real possibility. 

The second biggest story for me has to be the injury to David Taylor's knee, hopefully it isn't going to be a issue going forward. 

That sucks about DT.  Hopefully it's just a sprain.  I was thinking today that I hope nobody gets injured in this. 

As for the Askren is a stooge.  I don't think I have ever remarked on a comment in a negative way because I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion.  However,  in this situation as a huge wrestling fan I have to say that is highly disrespectfull.  To even comment like that draws into question how much you know about wrestling.  And watching for years doesn't mean a person knows much about it. 

Askren doing this was PURELY, for the benefit of the sport, the kids, and the fans.  Ben had zero to gain.  First, Ben does what he does for the sport.  Second he is EXTREMELY intelligent, not some bonehead who is only athletic.  The dude is very bright and was a great student in highschool and college from what I understand. While this event does bring in and wants to bring in good wrestling, it is about underprivileged and underrepresented kids.  It's about bringing something positive and hoping kids can attach to something that gets them past their 18th birthday. To make such a comment about anyone in this event who is giving back is pathetic.  And yes, I am a doctor.  A doctorate in  education where I focus, study, work, and research on at-risk kids across 50 schools.  . 

Edited by scramble

34 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Perry, are you sure it was Nickal who said no? 

We know for sure that Bo challenged Ben to a match on twitter a month ago.
Ben said on his podcast he is too old and small to give Bo a match.

Doesn't seem like Bo is too interested in going with Cox in an exhibition.   

8 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

C’mon JB... it’s 9-0 at the break and you can’t give the fans at least one good scramble? I didn’t expect JB to take it easy on him, but I did think he would try at least once to beat Ben at his own game. It would’ve been a lot more exciting for the fans. It was after all a charity event... no harm in trying to put on a show. 

Askren is a legend in These sort of scramble situations why take a risk?

Edited by Cradle1

8 hours ago, Full Nelson said:

I know this was just an exhibition, but I don't see the point of scheduling matches that are uncompetitive.    I don't enjoy seeing Kyle Snyder or J''den Cox wrestler far inferior guys.   Here's an idea:  let Cox wrestle Snyder! 

There are maybe 5 guys who would be competitive interesting matchups for Snyder or Cox, at least on paper. There are more than 5 that could challenger them, but we haven’t heard of some. 

Unless they want to wrestle each other, we are going to see some blowouts at BTS. 

Given what happened to Taylor, I’d prefer if they didn’t wrestle each other. Too much risk this close to WTT/Final X

36 minutes ago, Dr. Novak said:

He tarnished his legacy last night.  Looked like a non-athlete...slow, pudgy.

He joked about being slow and pudgy before the match. This was a charity exhibition.  Have you ever watched an exhibition game of retired NBA players?   It's hilarious, even though the guys aren't that old it still looks like a YMCA game.

Askren went ahead and did this charity event even knowing that some people would claim that this event reflects on a wrestling career that ended a decade ago.

29 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

There are maybe 5 guys who would be competitive interesting matchups for Snyder or Cox, at least on paper. There are more than 5 that could challenger them, but we haven’t heard of some. 

Unless they want to wrestle each other, we are going to see some blowouts at BTS. 

Given what happened to Taylor, I’d prefer if they didn’t wrestle each other. Too much risk this close to WTT/Final X

Some are suggesting that BTS be moved to after the world championships.

If Cox & Snyder are going to wrestle I doubt the risk of injury would be that much greater wrestling each other.   But maybe it is a bad idea anyway - too much pressure, they won't find it fun.

Edited by Full Nelson

one rule which should be addressed is when both wrestlers get a shot clock point and the score is 1-1. Which was the Suriano situation and completely changed the match.

Neither wrestler should be given an advantage in this situation to win 1-1. Hope this is somehow addressed.

one rule which should be addressed is when both wrestlers get a shot clock point and the score is 1-1. Which was the Suriano situation and completely changed the match.
Neither wrestler should be given an advantage in this situation to win 1-1. Hope this is somehow addressed.

Tied matches being over on criteria, is a way of promoting action and urgency, instead of having both wrestlers just sitting back and waiting for overtime.
Sometimes it sucks when your wrestler is behind, but the finality of freestyle, is a positive in my eyes.
6 minutes is what you get, if you don't have the lead at the end it's on you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Askren is a legend in These sort of scramble situations why take a risk?

Especially seeing what happened to Taylor earlier. I expect that JB had planned to play around some more to make it entertaining but after seeing Taylor go down decided to be much more conservative.

39 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

i think the Suriano match ended with :07 still showing on my screen. Jeez.

I guess I don't know exactly what they used there but if they fully use the arena the film clock/venue clock and the tiles on the dashboard are all coming from the live scorer matside. I believe the film might be on a delay but then so is the clock showing.

3 hours ago, Dr. Novak said:

He tarnished his legacy last night.  Looked like a non-athlete...slow, pudgy.

One of the phenomenal facts about Askren......he has always looked like a non-athlete, pudgy..........not one day of his career has he looked like the stereotypical wrestler!!!! 

I have enjoyed what he brought to wrestling and continues to promote for the sport!!!

image.jpeg.5b806451994c2110f8f4412b438c5566.jpeg

image.jpeg.16e2f9d90637ea290235a540528e7f66.jpeg

2 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

I guess I don't know exactly what they used there but if they fully use the arena the film clock/venue clock and the tiles on the dashboard are all coming from the live scorer matside. I believe the film might be on a delay but then so is the clock showing.

Yes,  it looked like the arena score clock was off sink with the online display clock on a few occasions during the show.  Most instances were when multiple stops and starts occurs in a period.  So as you said either a video delay or using two separate devices used to run each scoreboard.  Either way I’d  chalk it up as a delay in the online clock and not a error.