BigTimeFan

The thread Yianni deserves

As I mentioned on the BTS thread, prior to the U.S. Open, I wasn't really thinking that Yianni would be our guy at 65 this year, but now with the U.S. Open behind him, and with a win over Punia, I believe that a World Team and a medal is a real possibility. 

"whooped the 2016 US rep, a 2x national champ and the 2018 3X NCAA champ, Hodge winner and 2017 US  rep and now he convincingly beats Punia."

Do you feel that Yanni "whooped" Zain? Do you feel that the intensity of Punia's recent wrestling schedule should be taken into account? I see Yanni's recent performance as compelling evidence that he is a true threat to medal in Senior men's international freestyle, but I don't take it as a given. I believe that he will be challenged at Final X.

10 hours ago, de4856 said:

As I mentioned on the BTS thread, prior to the U.S. Open, I wasn't really thinking that Yianni would be our guy at 65 this year, but now with the U.S. Open behind him, and with a win over Punia, I believe that a World Team and a medal is a real possibility. 

So once he’s proven himself as a title threat, he is one. Thank you, sir. 

What is insane is that I saw a poster in the other thread that said he doesn't have the wrestling skill set for freestyle.   They didn't question his size or experience but his actual wrestling acumen, which is by the way probably the highest in our country barring Dake.  

When you can score your own points, defend and counter, and be creative you pretty much have the spectrum covered.

If the kid figures out how to score on top, forget it.

4 minutes ago, LordNelson said:

If the kid figures out how to score on top, forget it.

Did you not see him turn JO like a top? Yianni has top game. 

What amazes me is his rate if improvement over the past year and a half to two years despite two major surgeries in that time frame. Give him one healthy year and the dude is going to jump a level or two (again). 

2 minutes ago, ERBPAC said:

Cant wait to see how he matches up with otoguro from japan. Unstoppable relentless leg attacks vs. the defense and scrambling ability of yianni...could be an amazing matchup!

I think he matches up really well. Otoguro is on the shorter side of 65 kg and likes to attack head outside. Of course he is very, very good at doing what he does but shorter guys who give Yianni a chance to lock up those mitts at the end of his 6-foot wingspan are his best matchups. 

3 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Did you not see him turn JO like a top? Yianni has top game. 

What amazes me is his rate if improvement over the past year and a half to two years despite two major surgeries in that time frame. Give him one healthy year and the dude is going to jump a level or two (again). 

True, but he isn't a hammer on top.  Folkstyle this applies as well.

While big matches are won on the feet primarily in all styles, if he adds more consistency in the top position he will be ridiculous in freestyle.

Yianni is on a roll right now and can definitely medal for sure just because he can score in multiple ways along with his defensive scrambling.   I don't think he's out of the woods yet against Zain, though.  It's not like he dominated him for the entire match at the Open.

I want to really see when they're(Bajrang and Yianni) on neutral ground where they both have to take a flight to a different part of the world, not sleep in your own bed, not eat your regular food and not be in their normal routines for the most part.

34 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Yianni is on a roll right now and can definitely medal for sure just because he can score in multiple ways along with his defensive scrambling.   I don't think he's out of the woods yet against Zain, though.  It's not like he dominated him for the entire match at the Open.

I want to really see when they're(Bajrang and Yianni) on neutral ground where they both have to take a flight to a different part of the world, not sleep in your own bed, not eat your regular food and not be in their normal routines for the most part.

Lol really he hasn't given you the feeling yet that he has something in him that only a few people in the world have and that's the ability to always find a way to win. Zains not beating him why would you want him to he hasn't gotten the job done on the international level.

I talked to Logan Stieber about Yianni last night. He said he is surprisingly strong in the legs and that he has a big back-- despite his lack of triceps. Also he says that Bajrang tires everybody out, but he (Logan) was not surprised that Yianni did not tire.

1 hour ago, Sublime607 said:

Lol really he hasn't given you the feeling yet that he has something in him that only a few people in the world have and that's the ability to always find a way to win. Zains not beating him why would you want him to he hasn't gotten the job done on the international level.

Lol really----Reading comprehension, try it.

Who said I wanted Zain?  I'd rather have Yianni because he's our best shot at a 65kg medal.  I said he didn't dominate Zain.  Yianni won right at the end of that match, so anybody can win that matchup although I do think Yianni will in the end because of being able to score multiple ways and his defensive scrambling.  If Yianni would have won in a more dominating fashion where Zain couldn't do anything to him(like Pico vs Zain), then I'd say he'd be our guy for sure. 

Zain and JO can still be the rep. Yianni is not a level above them. But for the love of all things USA Wrestling, I hope Cornell Greece Man gets his shot this year. Every medal threat in the field has all gotten their shot and whiffed hard. Time for new blood. 

When Yianni was still in age group competition, I felt JO was our best shot because I really think it’ll take someone with a dynamic and varied style to get the job done. Yianni has plenty of that but most importantly knows how to close out a win and come back from behind. He is our best shot by a mile. 

On 5/7/2019 at 1:31 PM, Sublime607 said: