Barring injury or some crazy cosmic realignment, predicting that Yianni will be the next 4x NCAA champ.  

Lee may join him simultaneously, but I feel he has a few more landmines to navigate the next two years, compared to Yianni.

Barring injury or some crazy cosmic realignment, predicting that Yianni will be the next 4x NCAA champ.  
Lee may join him simultaneously, but I feel he has a few more landmines to navigate the next two years, compared to Yianni.
Bold prediction? He's won 2 titles with 1 college loss? The first title on a torn ACL....
If this was sarcasm I understand, but I think a bolder prediction would be predicting any wrestler beats him at all in the next 2 seasons

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Bold prediction? He's won 2 titles with 1 college loss? The first title on a torn ACL....
If this was sarcasm I understand, but I think a bolder prediction would be predicting any wrestler beats him at all in the next 2 seasons

Semi-Sarcasm... BUT... everyone thought the same thing after Imar won his first two, and was undefeated.  Whenever one predicts a 4x'er, it's pretty bold, considering there's only been four (4)... right?  

He's literally a "world beater" right now... i do not see a current collegian beating him at this point.

Semi-Sarcasm... BUT... everyone thought the same thing after Imar won his first two, and was undefeated.  Whenever one predicts a 4x'er, it's pretty bold, considering there's only been four (4)... right?  
He's literally a "world beater" right now... i do not see a current collegian beating him at this point.
It's less bold when they're halfway there, but I got ya.

I hope he does kill It, also hope he wins a world medal this year!

10 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Gross beating him in folkstyle next season shouldn’t shock anyone. Yianni was undefeated in folk this season but hardly untouchable. The last 2 matches we saw him wrestle in folk he won by a combined 3 points against Eierman and McKenna, and I think next season Gross is a lot bigger threat in folkstyle than those guys were this year. I’m still picking Yianni if/when they meet but I wouldn’t consider it a shock if Gross beats him in folkstyle. 

Gross beating him in folkstyle next season shouldn’t shock anyone. Yianni was undefeated in folk this season but hardly untouchable. The last 2 matches we saw him wrestle in folk he won by a combined 3 points against Eierman and McKenna, and I think next season Gross is a lot bigger threat in folkstyle than those guys were this year. I’m still picking Yianni if/when they meet but I wouldn’t consider it a shock if Gross beats him in folkstyle. 
Gross is great but don't remember him too fondly. We will see how he looks up a weight

Yianni's folkstyle skill set translates well to the Free skill set, and vice versa.  Would a match with Gross be competitive?  Sure.  But... I am NOT betting against Yianni again, until I see proof otherwise.  

I was on the Mckenna bandwagon all NCAA season, and the Oliver/Zain bandwagon for the Open.  I've been proven wrong pretty consistently the past 2 years when it comes to Yianni.  So... I'm now a "Yianni Convert".  Whoever does beat him will be bringing a game that will make the USA better, so that's a good thing.

27 minutes ago, MDogg said:

Do I recall that Gross lost up a weight to Meredith, who lost twice to Yianni (once on a torn ACL)?

8 minutes ago, klehner said:

Do I recall that Gross lost up a weight to Meredith, who lost twice to Yianni (once on a torn ACL)?

Gross was a true 133 against a true 141 and it was at Wyoming. By true 133 I mean Gross wrestled 133 the match before, the match after as well as every other match that season. If Gross goes 141 - which I think he will - he’ll be a lot bigger than he was when he bumped up from 133 one time while chasing a Hodge back in the 2017-2018 season. 

10 minutes ago, MDogg said:

Gross was a true 133 against a true 141 and it was at Wyoming. By true 133 I mean Gross wrestled 133 the match before, the match after as well as every other match that season. If Gross goes 141 - which I think he will - he’ll be a lot bigger than he was when he bumped up from 133 one time while chasing a Hodge back in the 2017-2018 season. 

good point. given that he wrestled 133 again 3 days later (at least according to wrestlestat), what's the most he could have weighed in for match vs Meredith (with the descent rules)?

that said, I'm with the 'ain't betting against Yianni ' crowd until proven otherwise.

but ya never know as far as  4 titles either. Imar as mentioned...Dustin Schlatter looked as good as anyone ever after 1 season....Troy Letters was going to be a 3 time champ, 4 time finalist....things happen.  

16 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

good point. given that he wrestled 133 again 3 days later (at least according to wrestlestat), what's the most he could have weighed in for match vs Meredith (with the descent rules)?

that said, I'm with the 'ain't betting against Yianni ' crowd until proven otherwise.

but ya never know as far as  4 titles either. Imar as mentioned...Dustin Schlatter looked as good as anyone ever after 1 season....Troy Letters was going to be a 3 time champ, 4 time finalist....things happen.  

Kyle Snyder took a folkstyle loss in college his senior season, at which point he already had won an Olympic gold and world championship. I know full well how much weight he was giving up to Coon, but it’s still a fact that a 2x world freestyle champ lost in folkstyle to a guy who was never an NCAA champ himself. 

Edited by MDogg

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

Are you saying Yianni will be world and Olympic champ in the next 2 seasons while suffering no losses?  If that's the case I take that bet. 

Are you saying Yianni will be world and Olympic champ in the next 2 seasons while suffering no losses?  If that's the case I take that bet. 
What? The Thread is "Bold prediction Yainni will win 4 titles"

My stance is "that's not very bold he has won 2, it would be bolder if you predicted the athlete that was going to dethrone him"

You take that as I think he will go undefeated internationally for 2 years?

Mark my words 0 of our guys will go undefeated internationally for 2 years. (So you know where I stand)

9 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

My stance is "that's not very bold he has won 2, it would be bolder if you predicted the athlete that was going to dethrone him"

Mark my words 0 of our guys will go undefeated internationally for 2 years. (So you know where I stand)

Your exact quote was "but I think a bolder prediction would be predicting any wrestler beats him at all in the next 2 seasons". 

Guess I misunderstood that as being a prediction for you.

Your exact quote was "but I think a bolder prediction would be predicting any wrestler beats him at all in the next 2 seasons". 
Guess I misunderstood that as being a prediction for you.
Oh yeah for sure. I can see how the different tabs can be confusing.
I shouldve made this comment in the "college forum"
Discussing NCAA titles.
My bad for the confusion

57 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Hasn't DT been undefeated internationally for the past two years?  MFF or Injury Defaults ought not count.  

Dake has to be approaching 1.X years undefeated, right? 

Cox has to be approaching 1.X years undefeated too?  

I'm sure there's some stat guy out there that can put together the weight by weight active winning streaks?

Hasn't DT been undefeated internationally for the past two years?  MFF or Injury Defaults ought not count.  
Dake has to be approaching 1.X years undefeated, right? 
Cox has to be approaching 1.X years undefeated too?  
I'm sure there's some stat guy out there that can put together the weight by weight active winning streaks?

Cox and Dake are right around a year, Taylor should be closing in on 2 years, but yeah. I'll stand by it.
NONE OF OUR SENIOR LEVEL ATHLETES WILL GO UNDEFEATED FOR 2 YEARS FROM RIGHT NOW.

(Not saying we wont win a ton of world titles and a couple Olympics) just doubt anyone goes undefeated.

And in no way was I inferring Yainni is the world or Olympic favorite, although I hope he wins.

One thing that could trip up Yianni in college is his focus on freestyle. He doesn’t seem like the type to phone it in, but if his goal is to peak for the Olympics or Worlds, then NCAAs might become a lesser priority. Snyder was kinda sorta the same.

Too many close calls for me to be confident that he'll be a 4-timer. Too many other top-notch guys out there (plus there's always a risk Demas will throw him to his back) and the lighter weights are always getting disrupted by incoming freshmen.

I don't think Gross will be the one to unseat him, however. I'd love to see Gross back at 100%, but I don't think lower back injuries ever really heal and this is not a sport where you can have questionable lower back strength.

Too many close calls for me to be confident that he'll be a 4-timer. Too many other top-notch guys out there (plus there's always a risk Demas will throw him to his back) and the lighter weights are always getting disrupted by incoming freshmen.
I don't think Gross will be the one to unseat him, however. I'd love to see Gross back at 100%, but I don't think lower back injuries ever really heal and this is not a sport where you can have questionable lower back strength.
When I was thinking " who realistically will beat him in the next 2 seasons"

I said "rule out all scramblers first"
So Lee and Gross went to the wayside (Yianni just does it better)

Then I thought Eirman is a solid mix of technique and wild..... but that gap seems to have only grown.....

So like you. I settled on Demas... he explodes and people go to their backs. Yainni likes to navigate as things develop and as we saw at ncaas, you just dont jave time with Demas, and it resulted in some tricky situations....

If I had to pick somebody to sneak out a win, right now, I would put my money on Demas, and yes a little luck would be required.

Yeah, remember how much wrestlers normally improve between their redshirt freshman and redshirt software year.  That's basically where Yanni is given that he didn't redshirt.  Maybe even more so because he spent his whole offseason last year recovering from the latest in-season ACL injury you can basically have.  Wrestling JO, Frank, Bajarang, Zain, etc instead of going through therapy makes me think he'll come back even tougher next folkstyle season.

Edited by Gantry