MDogg

86kg If Taylor Can’t Go...

Even though Bo went 92kg at the open as an NCAA champ he should be automatically qualified for the WTT at the weight of his choosing, correct? In other words shouldn’t he be able to go 86kg at WTT even though he went 92kg at the open? If not who is the favorite to earn the spot? 

Could Zahid bump to 86kg this soon? It seems obvious that’s where he’s going to be for the Olympics next year but that’s a big jump from his folk style weight and the 79kg spot everyone figured he’d be at for this year’s trials. Has to be tempting to Zahid because of how huge it would be if he could medal and sit in the finals next trials.

Hopefully this is a moot point and DT’s knee is nothing serious.

Moot point. 

But if DT can’t make it Zahid would be crazy not to try this year. If the stars align, this would be the dream setup for him. If he medals, wouldn’t he get to sit for the final best of 3 next year?

I think this is all fantasy talk anyway. The injury did not seem that bad. He did get right back up after the trainer looked at it briefly to try again for an exhibition.

Even though Bo went 92kg at the open as an NCAA champ he should be automatically qualified for the WTT at the weight of his choosing, correct? In other words shouldn’t he be able to go 86kg at WTT even though he went 92kg at the open? If not who is the favorite to earn the spot? 
Could Zahid bump to 86kg this soon? It seems obvious that’s where he’s going to be for the Olympics next year but that’s a big jump from his folk style weight and the 79kg spot everyone figured he’d be at for this year’s trials. Has to be tempting to Zahid because of how huge it would be if he could medal and sit in the finals next trials.
Hopefully this is a moot point and DT’s knee is nothing serious.
If he's genuinely hurt, like an ACL tear, 1000000% the NCAA champs (which have some flexibility in their weight class options) should converge there.
But if it Is Downey or Martin or Heflin, we can go ahead and assume we dont medal here.

Hate to be drab, but likely even if its its Bo or Zahid, it really is a very difficult weight, and outside of DT I dont see us medaling, and even with him in the lineup, a Gold isnt a lock at all.

Hope he is good though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, spladle08 said:

If he's genuinely hurt, like an ACL tear, 1000000% the NCAA champs (which have some flexibility in their weight class options) should converge there.
But if it Is Downey or Martin or Heflin, we can go ahead and assume we dont medal here.

Hate to be drab, but likely even if its its Bo or Zahid, it really is a very difficult weight, and outside of DT I dont see us medaling, and even with him in the lineup, a Gold isnt a lock at all.

Hope he is good though

Agree with everything except I think Zahid is absolutely a medal threat. The last time I saw him wrestle freestyle he handled Ringer with ease in back to back matches, and I think everyone agrees that if Ringer were our 79kg rep he would absolutely be a medal/title threat. 

Last time Zahid wrestled internationally he took silver at Jr world’s up at 84kg. He lost a controversial match in the finals to Naifonov of Russia...who Flo currently has ranked #3 in the world up at 86kg. After the finals match I remember Kevin Jackson saying Zahid would beat Naifonov in a best of 3 and I agreed with him. Zahid lost that match because he got hit with a caution and 2 for breaking a rule neither he nor his coaches even knew existed.

Just a question of whether he has enough time to get his body to adjust to wrestling up at 86kg.

Agree with everything except I think Zahid is absolutely a medal threat. The last time I saw him wrestle freestyle he handled Ringer with ease in back to back matches, and I think everyone agrees that if Ringer were our 79kg rep he would absolutely be a medal/title threat. 

Last time Zahid wrestled internationally he took silver at Jr world’s up at 84kg. He lost a controversial match in the finals to Naifonov of Russia...who Flo currently has ranked #3 in the world up at 86kg. After the finals match I remember Kevin Jackson saying Zahid would beat Naifonov in a best of 3 and I agreed with him. Zahid lost that match because he got hit with a caution and 2 for breaking a rule neither he nor his coaches even knew existed.

Just a question of whether he has enough time to get his body to adjust to wrestling up at 86kg.

Yeah 100% it's the physical problem.

Zahid and Ringer could both develop into medal threats at 86kg but it takes time and serious competition to get your body where it needs to be to handle that extra muscle. THIS YEAR, I feel like bumping up that much, this close to worlds would just be getting horsed and gassing. Given time to acclimate, sure! I think Zahid fits there nicely.

But yeah I know its several months out, but still too close to get the body to where it needs to be.

It way too early to know what’s up but I feel like DT would give Finalx and Worlds (assuming) a go even if he had to encase that injured leg in a Game of Thrones style leather & iron cast. 

In the probably unlikely event that he has to sit it out, it might be in the best interest of the USA Wrestling coaches to convince Kyle Dake to bump up, and have one of Ringer, Valencia, Mekhi, Hall, Foster, etc. try to fill out the spot at 79kg. I have no idea if USAW’s rules would allow it, but my thinking is that Dake could probably hold his own at 86, at least better than anyone else could, and would produce a better team result for the US. It would also qualify the weight for 2020 if he finished in the top 6(?) or whatever at Worlds.

Edited by pamela

24 minutes ago, pamela said:

It way too early to know what’s up but I feel like DT would give Finalx and Worlds (assuming) a go even if he had to encase that injured leg in a Game of Thrones style leather & iron cast. 

In the probably unlikely event that he has to sit it out, it might be in the best interest of the USA Wrestling coaches to convince Kyle Dake to bump up, and have one of Ringer, Valencia, Mekhi, Hall, Foster, etc. try to fill out the spot at 79kg. I have no idea if USAW’s rules would allow it, but my thinking is that Dake could probably hold his own at 86, at least better than anyone else could, and would produce a better team result for the US. It would also qualify the weight for 2020 if he finished in the top 6(?) or whatever at Worlds.

Agree that Dake has the best shot but I also think Zahid could hold his own and possibly medal.

I don’t think there’s any way DT gives it a go if it’s a torn ACL. He’d be foolish not to have surgery ASAP so he can get back to wrestling and training as quickly as possible ahead of 2020. Can you wrestle with a torn ACL? Sure...Yianni and others have gutted it out and entered/finished tournaments with a torn ACL. But you can’t train and practice for months at a high level with a torn ACL, and that’s what DT would have to do the next few months if he wants to have a real shot at winning another world title this year. 

Edited by MDogg

58 minutes ago, pamela said:

In the probably unlikely event that he has to sit it out, it might be in the best interest of the USA Wrestling coaches to convince Kyle Dake to bump up, and have one of Ringer, Valencia, Mekhi, Hall, Foster, etc. try to fill out the spot at 79kg. .

I would be shocked if Dake agreed to this or if the coaches even consider it. The plan is for Dake to go down to 74kg next year; it would make no sense for him to go 86kg this year--even if Taylor is hurt. Dieringer, Valencia, and Nickal are all bigger than Dake, and it would make much, much more sense for the coaches to try and convince one of those three to go to 86kg.