Eagle26

Yianni final scoring sequence

These guys are so flexible, funky, and innovative today that scoring is not always clear-cut.  Did blue initiate the move?  Did red secure an exposure as blue attacked?  I am coaching 30 very good youth wrestlers and it's not like the old days because these young guys are so much more athletic today.  Not complaining--I love how they are moving the sport to new levels.  Just hard for the rules to keep up with the advancements in technique (as witnessed by UWW/FILA changing the rules every damn year).
Keep up the good work Coach.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

First off the refereeing at BTS is very heavily favored to the Americans or the "favorites." Look at Cox's "throw" at the end of his match as a great example. The refs have always been very generous with their calls at the event.

The whole Yianni vs. Bajrang match was poorly officiated, but the hardest part was keeping up with the unofficial scoreboard Flo had. In a funky and scrambly match the scoreboard issues didn't help. It seemed from the comments of Pyles that he was the one running the scoreboard.

12 hours ago, cjc007 said:

Keep up the good work Coach.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks, man.  In practice, it's not uncommon for kids wrestling live to stop after a scramble and say, "Coach, whose points were those???"  Many times I'm stumped, and after the period I'll explain, "Well, it could have been scored two for you if the ref believed you initiated the action;  another ref might give two to your opponent for an exposure and two to you for the takedown."  I've been at this over 40 years--still learning.

Edited by Coach_J

I don't think this match was that hard to follow. Maybe because I watched it with the sound off. And I don't think the officiating was iffy.  The scoreboard operator was iffy for sure and caused a lot of confusion towards the end of the 1st when s/he put up an extra 2 for Yianni for no reason.

I just rewatched it and replayed the key scoring sequences a few times. Here's how I saw it.

Yianni  clean exposure off low-double (you could argue it was a TD versus exposure, but same scoring result). 2-0 

Bajrang clean TD off of foot-step single. 2-2

End of 1st. Zero controversy, no other way to score the period.

Yianni clean TD off of his patented crackdown position D. 4-2

Yianni exposure off of same position but this time Bajrang rolls through and ends up on top (2 each). I don't know how this can be scored any other way. The first 2 for Yianni were very clearly his move, and then the reaction from Bajrang was clearly his move (kudos to B for adjusting so quickly to Y's move that scored 2-0 for Y in the last sequence). 6-4

Yianni clean TD off low single backdoor finish. 8-4

Bajrang 2 on a crotchlift but Yianni steps over (clearly his move) and exposes B back for another 2. Same scoring sequence from different position as last 2-2 exchange. 10-6

Bajrang clean chest lock exposure for 2. 10-8

The Flo announcers scrambling a bit to follow the score and the phantom 2 in the 1st may have created the confusion, but to me, there was no controversy or iffiness at all. I thought the refs did a very good job and the score was exactly what it should've been in the end.

It felt like Yianni dominated Bajrang, but the rematch is going to be fire if it happens again. I was very impressed by how quickly Bajrang adapted to Yianni's defense and shots. Yianni got Bajrang the first time with his crackdown D. But immediately, Bajrang adjusts with a roll-through, and the next time off of the same move, it was 2-2. Yianni got Bajrang with two clean low shots, but the next two times, it was crotchlift for Bajrang (kudos to Yianni for stepping over to counter to make it 2-2) and chest lock for Bajrang. Pretty sick mid-match adjustment.

36 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Bajrang 2 on a crotchlift but Yianni steps over (clearly his move) and exposes B back for another 2. Same scoring sequence from different position as last 2-2 exchange. 10-6

Bajrang clean chest lock exposure for 2. 10-8

I’m with you on zero controversy at 8-4. I think it’s very debatable on the sequence that you call 2-2 but that’s certainly a possibility. Either way you have to give Yianni 1 for a reversal at the end. That’s very obvious so I think you just forgot to add that. That would put your score at 11-8

41 minutes ago, LJB said:

there cannot be a 2-2...

Why not?  I realize a straight reversal is only 1 but it's not that uncommon for the reversal to be the result of an intentional roll through (gut wrenches and some headlocks come to mind) which would be 2 for exposure.

On 5/7/2019 at 8:41 PM, Dr. Novak said:

Lots of guess work in freestyle.  Frankly so many of the calls are such nonsense that it makes it difficult to watch.  Just love the constant stoppage whistles for who knows what.

That's folkstyle.

8 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Why not?  I realize a straight reversal is only 1 but it's not that uncommon for the reversal to be the result of an intentional roll through (gut wrenches and some headlocks come to mind) which would be 2 for exposure.

i don't understand your example... an intentional roll through?

the only way you will get a 2-2 on any action is if red exposes blue, but, during the action blue catches and stops red on his back for a measurable amount of time... other than that you will not get a 2-2...

you can definitely get a 2 for exposure for red on one action... then on a separate action blue could expose red as well... i just cannot recall a specific example of that...

while i would need a much better explanation of what you are trying to get across, the easy answer is no...

they used to commonly call a 4-2 when red attacks and blue would bail on the defense and try a chest wrap to expose red as he was finishing the takedown, but, that has gone the way of the dodo now... the only way blue is gonna be given any points is if he stops the motion and then redirects it then the action becomes his...

if that was the case, every gut or lace would be scored 2-2...

one move... one score... 

there was no 2-2 with yanni... he got crotch lifted and hip over to try and avoid exposure... that does not make it his move... the action was still bajrangs... 

again, he never should have got crotch lifted in the first place... it is a move that should not work past U14s... just let go of the leg and they can't lift... 

but, i digress... 

Just now, AHamilton said:

I'm not sure if there were any in Senior UWW World's last year.

1 was scored from quarters on...

it is ridiculously easy to defend...

1 minute ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Have you ever wrestled freestyle? I’m not trying to bust your balls. I’m serious. 

personally?

i've never wrestled a real match in my life...

but, that is hardly the point... 

The crotch lift isn’t a JV move. It’s a legit move and it doesn’t just work below age 14. The fact that only one was executed last year at worlds does not in any way make the move a joke. How many arm spins or over/under throws were hit at worlds last year? I actually don’t know the answer but it can’t be many. Doesn’t make the moves JV.