Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cangemi

USA freestyle a fans dream

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, cangemi said:

As a fan I can't remember having or being this excited about us freestyle.

 

No more reaching a bag for a colored ball 

Best team in years

Depth

Younger team

Can follow on flo and internet

Can follow tourneys all year online

 

Great time as a fan of USA wrestling 

 

bro i am so sorry...but World 2017 is over :c 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. We have legitimate finalist contenders at every weight this year. 

All of our guys are stylistically exciting and unique. 

 We will likely have a healthy mix of young and veteran guys this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if we have 2 active college kids (Yianni and Fix) on the team, so the team is building new stars. 

This isn’t a lucky streak. We are consistently building our pipeline. We have 2 medal contenders at most weights. We have a medalist at every weight returning besides 65kg, arguably our deepest weight this year. 

 Crazy time to be a fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Agreed. We have legitimate finalist contenders at every weight this year. 

All of our guys are stylistically exciting and unique. 

 We will likely have a healthy mix of young and veteran guys this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if we have 2 active college kids (Yianni and Fix) on the team, so the team is building new stars. 

This isn’t a lucky streak. We are consistently building our pipeline. We have 2 medal contenders at most weights. We have a medalist at every weight returning besides 65kg, arguably our deepest weight this year. 

 Crazy time to be a fan

I think a few things have helped us improve:

  • Internet resources like Flowrestling have helped youth coaches and young wrestlers with technique. 
  • The regional training center system has been a success. It just fits our overall development system much better. 
  • There’s now more money available to wrestlers, including from endorsements, Living the Dream, camps, etc. It helps our top guys extend their careers.
Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought last year we had one of our greatest teams ever.  Russia is just so strong.  I like our chances of medaling at 65..  That will put us closer, and hopefully, we can score a few more points from last year.  I agree, we are better and still trending up.  I say that, because our guys seem to just have a bigger learning curve coming from folkstyle.  Do we get Snyder/Sadulaev III?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This year should be wild....

When comparing Russia vs US

57 - Uguev/Sadulaev are both better than Gilman. I have a hard time believing Fix can overtake either of those two if he makes his first Senior Level World Team. Advantage to Medal - Russia. 

61 - Rashidov vs Colon. I don't think this is close. Colon is coming off an impressive Pan Am, but I don't think he's near Rashidov. Rashidov is coming off a 2018 Silver at WC and during that tournament he teched Loma. He crapped the bed against Bonne. Advantage to Medal Higher - Russia. 

65 - Chakaev vs Yianni (if he has the spot). If Yianni wins the spot I would say this is a split. That's how much confidence I have in his freestyle game. His first senior level event and I think he has just as good of a chance to medal as a returning bronze medalist. Dude is legit. Advantage to Medal - Split. 

70 - Gazi vs Green. Not close. Gazi's better..just plain and simple. 2x World Champ and returning World Champ. Green's better years are behind him. Advantage to Medal - Russia. 

74 - Sidakova vs Burroughs. I have to go with Burroughs here. Even though Sidakova won their last/only meeting, I have to respect JB. Advantage to Medal Higher - US. 

79 - Gadzhi vs Dake. This is another close one. I'm giving the edge to Dake due to recency and I think he's figured Gadzhi out. Gadzhi pounded Dake at the 2018 Yarygin and then Dake pounded Gadzhi at the 2018 WC. Advantage to Medal Higher - US

86 - Kurugliev vs Taylor. If Taylor is healthy it isn't close. Major advantage to DT. Advantage to Medal Higher - US

92 - Kurbanov vs Cox. Cox is sitting in the driver's seat. Advantage to Medal - US

97 - Sadulaev vs Snyder. Sadulaev has the advantage. Advantage to Medal Higher - Russia. 

125 - Khizriev vs Gwiz. I'd give the nod to Khizriev. Wrestled Petro tough last year at the WC. Gwiz showed some toughness to wrestle back through and rack up a medal. Advantage to Medal - Russia. 

Russia = 5

US = 4

Split = 1

Also, Snyder could beat Sadulaev, Gwiz could finish higher than Khizriev, Sidakova could beat Burroughs, Gadzhi could beat Dake. 

So many matches could go either way! This year should be awesome!

Edited by MrDream

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2019 at 2:17 PM, Katie said:

I think a few things have helped us improve:

  • Internet resources like Flowrestling have helped youth coaches and young wrestlers with technique. 
  • The regional training center system has been a success. It just fits our overall development system much better. 
  • There’s now more money available to wrestlers, including from endorsements, Living the Dream, camps, etc. It helps our top guys extend their careers.

i would add

- reinstatement of Cadet Worlds. which made for a greater emphasis on Akron.

also

- resident athlete program at RTC including developmental slots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
i would add
- reinstatement of Cadet Worlds. which made for a greater emphasis on Akron.
also
- resident athlete program at RTC including developmental slots
Great club coaches, former d1 aa's with freestlye chops.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is subjective as hell but I think Snyder having so much early success is a factor. Most if not all the young studs know each other and have wrestled either together on teams or as contemporaries who bump into each other regularly. When one of your peer group is all of a sudden a world and then Olympic champ, it makes others think they can do it too. It removes the intelectual “5-minute” barrier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

This is subjective as hell but I think Snyder having so much early success is a factor. Most if not all the young studs know each other and have wrestled either together on teams or as contemporaries who bump into each other regularly. When one of your peer group is all of a sudden a world and then Olympic champ, it makes others think they can do it too. It removes the intelectual “5-minute” barrier. 

This +1000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 3:45 PM, ShakaAloha said:

This +1000

I agree.  Snyder broke the Typical protocol.  College first then international.  An argument may be able to be made that Cejudo laid the first brick, but Snyder definitely paved the road.  Showing you can do noth.  NCAA and World/Olympics.  I'm not sure J'Den would have given it a run had Snyder not done it.  Now Yianni may be next. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 4:21 PM, cjc007 said:

Great club coaches, former d1 aa's with freestlye chops.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
 

I feel that has more to do with it than anything else.

The clubs and national competitions from youth on up in both folk and free are light years ahead of 20 years ago and the college and world talent coming out of high school seems to be getting better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 3:45 PM, ShakaAloha said:

This +1000

I agree.  Snyder broke the Typical protocol.  College first then international.  An argument may be able to be made that Cejudo laid the first brick, but Snyder definitely paved the road.  Showing you can do noth.  NCAA and World/Olympics.  I'm not sure J'Den would have given it a run had Snyder not done it.  Now Yianni may be next. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scramble said:

I agree.  Snyder broke the Typical protocol.  College first then international.  An argument may be able to be made that Cejudo laid the first brick, but Snyder definitely paved the road.  Showing you can do noth.  NCAA and World/Olympics.  I'm not sure J'Den would have given it a run had Snyder not done it.  Now Yianni may be next. 

ahh ... are you not familiar with Uetake and Smith?  ;_;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2019 at 10:08 PM, cangemi said:

As a fan I can't remember having or being this excited about us freestyle.

 

No more reaching a bag for a colored ball 

Best team in years

Depth

Younger team

Can follow on flo and internet

Can follow tourneys all year online

 

Great time as a fan of USA wrestling 

 

It’s not just the current roster that’s exciting, but the future has never been so bright. Next year there will be TEN wrestlers in the college who have wrestled in the freestyle Jr world finals. 5 guys who won a total of 7 golds and another 5 who took home silver. Also mind you that group doesn’t even include Yianni. Go back 5 years and that number was 4 guys who had wrestled in the finals and only 1 gold amongst them (Snyder). 

This is going to sound crazy, but there are 6 current NCAA wrestlers that I would go so far as to say I’d be surprised if they don’t win a senior world freestyle title at some point in their careers: Lee, Fix, Yianni, Hall, Valencia, and Gable. Saying there are 6 current NCAA wrestlers that will go on to win senior world titles is the kind of statement I’d normally jump all over for being wildly optimistic and foolish. But as long as they stay healthy and there continue to be the same 10 weight classes in non-Olympic years I just think that’s the case. I’m not saying they’ll all do it the same year, but I think there’s a current crop of freestylers in college today that have the makings of equally or possibly exceeding the talent of our current senior squad down the road. Some might have to wait a while to make their first word team of our current stars compete past 2020, but they’ll eventually compose a team that’s going to be very much in the world team title mix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 3:21 PM, MrDream said:

74 - Sidakova vs Burroughs. I have to go with Burroughs here. Even though Sidakova won their last/only meeting, I have to respect JB. Advantage to Medal Higher - US. 

Why do you keep writing Sidakova?  Shouldn't the transliteration of Сидаков be Sidakov?  Is there really a vowel sound at the end of his name?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

Why do you keep writing Sidakova?  Shouldn't the transliteration of Сидаков be Sidakov?  Is there really a vowel sound at the end of his name?

And typically names ending with an a are feminine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

And typically names ending with an a are feminine.

Is that the case in Russia?  I know it works like that in Bulgaria.  All the players on the men's international soccer team have names ending in v and the women's team in va. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

Is that the case in Russia?  I know it works like that in Bulgaria.  All the players on the men's international soccer team have names ending in v and the women's team in va. 

I'm not an expert on the subject but it seems pretty common. Sergei Beloglazov's wife's name was Natasha Beloglazova. And btw it's not clear who was the better athlete. She was on the Soviet Team Handball team and after moving here she decided to take up tennis and was teaching it within a short time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×