Burroughs was a little too cocky and arrogant? Or maybe it was all show?  This was an exhibition and in my opinion JB was trying to prove something(that he didn't have to prove).  Why wouldn't he be able to handle a guy who hadn't wrestled in years?  I didn't like the push off the mat in the first minute and thought it was "bush league" and some of his trash talk I found too much.  I almost feel like Burroughs feels slighted by all the attention MMA gets vs wrestling and he had to tell everyone how good he is.

You have a guy like Askren who is doing wrestling a huge favor by participating in this event and handled himself real well.  I almost wished he would've called Jordan to the Octagon so he could show his superiority.  Now, before anyone jumps all over me, I love JB and just giving my opinion that he could've been a little more modest in the whole event.

1.) They've practiced together. Askren talked about it on Rogan and then again post-match. On Rogan he basically said you forget the strength, speed, and skill these guys who do it full time possess. (Aka i got whooped)

2.) I think it started out as social media fun, and I'm sure the intention was to make it a little more playful, however hoards of MMA fans struck in the comments section doubting Burroughs and insulting wrestling.... then somehow 40%+ of the wrestling community started saying Askren had a real chance.... I'm sure Burroughs wanted to remind everyone "hey I'm a badass"

3.) I think it was kind of visible post match that Askren had 0 expectations going in, while Burroughs still remained a little salty, kinda like "boom take that, I showed you" like he was still proving soembody wrong....
It's like Anklepicker once Suriano won.... he had to make sure we all realized he was right and it just came across as a little bit of a tantrum

That said, hats of to Askren and Burroughs for doing it. Burroughs now has had 2 really high profile BTS matches which really drove the event. Last year vs Chamizo was really putting it on the line.

Also love me some JB I predict him and Chamizo in the finals this year (depending on draw) bring on worlds!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I think people read way too much into things. Burroughs is under our wrestling microscope so much, people (not suggesting the OP) are actively trying to find things in his persona to be turned off about. Who really believes these two had a legit beef?

It also takes about a mile for a train to stop after hitting the brakes. For Burroughs, I’d say that’s a fair equivalent to stopping his attack.

Yeah like Bryant said. I dont think Burroughs had any hate towards Askren, and I think they both knew how the match would go.... but I'll stick with his chippy-ness was a product of the doubt he was getting from the outside.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

There is nothing about their match, if both were going 75%+ that would lead me to think that Burroughs would not have won that if it would have been a fight.

2 minutes ago, simple said:

It was obviously all show. The two are friendly and just wanted to get wrestling a little hype.

Agreed. 

People ought not attempt to create news when there is no news.  Those with "personal truths" should just keep it to themselves, unless you're a {insert} justice warrior looking for your 5 minutes of Fame, then you have different consequences.

And no... I'm not saying this is you Simple.  :-)

Net/net:. Fake news... NEXT!

This show got wrestling headlines all over the web. Hundreds of sites picked up the story and it put 5,000 fans in an iconic theater. Save the size of the stage, everything about this was a “W” for wrestling. Since we are way too stiff to do this typically, it took some hype to make it happen. This is such a positive for the sport.
You think JB isn’t going to go out there and compete and just make the wrestling part of it a show? The residual impact of this won’t be felt for a while, but since none of these matches count anyway, showcase the sport and that’s what the entire event did.

Sometimes I feel like some folks on here forget JB is human.  If something he does or say is not of the upmost chivalrous character, he's all of a sudden  cocky or arrogant or stepping out of his lane.  Not completely directed at this post as I've seen reactions like this over the years.  

Maybe JB did have a chip on his shoulder that night from all the MMA comments.  What was he supposed to do, go play with his food so the MMA community still had fuel for the fire?  It's easier for us to sit here and say 'don't let that get to you'.  I already commend them for keeping their lives open to us through social media.  There are some real low lifes out there.  

I think he was just wrestling hard like he always does.  No egregious face/head slaps that I remember.  I've seen him wrestle more disrespectfully with DT.  Now I will say, I didn't like the push out off the mat but, re-watching it,  I see JB drop down and off Askren as he was out of bounds but Askren was carrying a lot of momentum.  Askren also later said that he had no intention of shooting at JB during that match, so JB was forced to create action.  Would we really have been happier to watch a sparring session?

54 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

I think people read way too much into things. Burroughs is under our wrestling microscope so much, people (not suggesting the OP) are actively trying to find things in his persona to be turned off about. Who really believes these two had a legit beef?

It also takes about a mile for a train to stop after hitting the brakes. For Burroughs, I’d say that’s a fair equivalent to stopping his attack.

That’s kinda the point many people have, it’s that JB talked a ton of smack to someone that he should have destroyed. Askren stepped up to help the sport. In my opinion JB came off as a douche during this hole process 

2 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

That’s kinda the point many people have, it’s that JB talked a ton of smack to someone that he should have destroyed. Askren stepped up to help the sport. In my opinion JB came off as a douche during this hole process 

Eye of the beholder. It's protecting the turf, and it's also, to a point, showing that no, someone can't just waltz in from MMA, no matter how good they were and beat a world-level wrestler. You think JB is just going to let Ben make it look like wrestling is easy to come off the street and perform? 

I have zero issues with how any of it went down. I'm guilty of being thin-skinned at times, but few sports as a whole are as thin-skinned as wrestling is. He protected OUR turf, to me, that's not being a douche, that's jabbing back. To have hype, you need the face and the heel. What's interesting here is that position changed depending on your opinion of each athlete. It's not like there's the A-hole and the pretty boy - that was all in the minds of who people wanted to win. 

Some thought Ben came off as the douche, others, like you, believed it was JB who was in that frame of mind. 

5 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Eye of the beholder. It's protecting the turf, and it's also, to a point, showing that no, someone can't just waltz in from MMA, no matter how good they were and beat a world-level wrestler. You think JB is just going to let Ben make it look like wrestling is easy to come off the street and perform? 

I have zero issues with how any of it went down. I'm guilty of being thin-skinned at times, but few sports as a whole are as thin-skinned as wrestling is. He protected OUR turf, to me, that's not being a douche, that's jabbing back. To have hype, you need the face and the heel. What's interesting here is that position changed depending on your opinion of each athlete. It's not like there's the A-hole and the pretty boy - that was all in the minds of who people wanted to win. 

Some thought Ben came off as the douche, others, like you, believed it was JB who was in that frame of mind. 

If the roles were reversed and JB was stepping in to the octagon against Askren and Askren was the ridiculously heavy favorite and he was talking like JB was talking I would say Askren was acting like a douche. I’m pretty sure it was JB who called Askren out in the first place because that was the big payday for JB 

I thought they both handled it well, made it fun and maybe turned some MMA folks onto wrestling?  Be hard to track that one.

JB did say, 'that he didn't take this match as fun. It's my job, it's how I feed my family.'  paraphrased, but factually correct.  

Askren wrestled like an utter scrub and has-been.  He showed nothing that a very mediocre college wrestler couldn't emulate or outdo.   Based on what he did and didn't do, he didn't deserve to be on the stage and get the spotlight at this point in his career.  It would have been much more interesting to have one of the top college wrestlers at 165 or 174 out there.  Lewis or Joseph or Marinelli or Hall or Zahid or Marsteller, among possible others. 

Edited by dmm53

8 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Just look at the post match interview....

Askren Jokingly : "Why would you not give me a takedown?!"  Haha, he's great.  Will always be a fan of Askren.

Edited by misterc

Seriously? Watch the post-match interview; they were obviously playing it up..no sane person thought that Askren had a prayer, especially Askren. I see nothing but Respect here.

That said, this would look MUCH worse the other way if JB got in a cage with Askren.  Ya'll don't give MMA nearly enough credit.  put some gloves on with anyone half decent and see how far only wrestling will take you.

You're correct sir.  I just feel it was an attempt to bring promotional tactics from the mma and boxing to our sport.  I'm on the wrong side of history here, but for me it just doesn't work as well for wrestling.  Who cares though, if it sells 50K more fans?  I get the big picture.   It seems like Flo has taken this tactic during season in some subtle way.   I believe our improved product is driving the increase in popularity of wrestling.   Like it or not, when Dana White and Joe Rogan get on the air every month and say wrestling is absolutely the most important piece of the puzzle, it brings interest.  I think that is a huge part of what has spurred growing interest in women's wrestling.  The mma women's division has exploded since the days of Rhonda Rousey.

BTS is a huge plus for our sport.  BAskren, you are a man and a half.  I agree with Joe Rogan on his thoughts on the elevated mat.  That's gotta go.  We can appreciate that the edge of mat skill sets for freestyle and folkstyle edge of mat scoring are different so we need to also admit that the elevated mat just doesn't work when the objective is to drive you off the mat.  C'mon guys, risk management should be feeling pretty lucky about now.

There was almost a really bad one at the U.S. Open this year.   ; I think it was in the semis? I'm not sure how those guys landed on their feet.  If we are going to have elevated mats, we have to put some kind of barrier to falling six feet onto concrete!

2 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

There was almost a really bad one at the U.S. Open this year.   ; I think it was in the semis? I'm not sure how those guys landed on their feet.  If we are going to have elevated mats, we have to put some kind of barrier to falling six feet onto concrete!

I completely agree on that one.  I know they wanted a raised platform for BTS, but they really needed to extend that thing way beyond the mat.  If Ben got injured there and couldn't fight any longer, there would be some serious legal problems.