Sign in to follow this  
Giovanni

Joe Rogan talks Askren/JB and Sadulaev/Snyder

Some good takes from Joe and Lex..

-JB is a terrible matchup for Ben (as he is for most people on this planet)

-Why the hell is the mat elevated off the ground? Discussing serious injury risks for all parties involved. 

-Do Snyder and Sadulaev have plans for MMA after 2020? Lex seems to think yes, I have no prior knowledge on this.

The full interview goes on to talk more about Russian/Dagestani culture and the mindset/pride of these athletes. Joe even briefly talks about fantasy matchups between JB vs Khabib or Askren vs Khabib (assuming Ben loses some of that dad bod).

Overall a pretty good listen. Nice to see wrestling getting some mainstream attention after a high profile matchup at BTS.

4 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

This is why Askren is the man. This will be the most talked about BTS ever because he was willing to sacrifice his dad bod to JB. 

Couldn't agree more. Ben put ego aside and went into this event knowing that he is most likely going to get dominated/embarrassed by one of the all-time greats, simply to help support BTS and promote the sport of wrestling. Love Ben and everything he does for the sport.

I loved Rogan’s take on safety at BTS. You can’t have conditions that could put someone’s health at risk!

It’s interesting that when it comes to freestyle, Rogan apparently has only heard of JB (and not Snyder or Sadulaev). It seems that JB has positioned himself as the most well known American wrestler right now. It’s no accident either. He’s fun to watch and he has a social media presence. 

It was also really cool of Askren to raise the profiles of BTS, JB, and freestyle. Very good man.

Edited by Katie

4 hours ago, Giovanni said:

Some good takes from Joe and Lex..

-JB is a terrible matchup for Ben (as he is for most people on this planet)

-Why the hell is the mat elevated off the ground? Discussing serious injury risks for all parties involved. 

-Do Snyder and Sadulaev have plans for MMA after 2020? Lex seems to think yes, I have no prior knowledge on this.

The full interview goes on to talk more about Russian/Dagestani culture and the mindset/pride of these athletes. Joe even briefly talks about fantasy matchups between JB vs Khabib or Askren vs Khabib (assuming Ben loses some of that dad bod).

Overall a pretty good listen. Nice to see wrestling getting some mainstream attention after a high profile matchup at BTS.

Sadulaev recently said he would never do MMA.

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/21804

Snyder has said in the past he might like to try it.

53 minutes ago, Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin said:

Joe Rogan is so impressionable and that makes his show interesting. He is so emotionally discussing JB's double leg and the two "heavyweights" from the United States and Dagestan. It's so boring.

Rogan talks about everything with a lot of emotion.  He's a media personality.

Rogan had only heard of Burroughs because he's not a wrestling fan.  He's an MMA fan.  The other guy was talking about Snyder and Sadulaev.

Rogan was correct that Burroughs has a great blast double, and that BTS needs to think more about wrestlers' safety.

I am very happy that Rogan talked about freestyle wrestling. Our sport can use exposure like that.

Edited by Katie

13 minutes ago, Katie said:

Rogan talks about everything with a lot of emotion.  He's a media personality.

Rogan had only heard of Burroughs because he's not a wrestling fan.  He's an MMA fan.  The other guy was talking about Snyder and Sadulaev.

Rogan was correct that Burroughs has a great blast double, and that BTS needs to think more about wrestlers' safety.

I am very happy that Rogan talked about freestyle wrestling. Our sport can use exposure like that.

thats cool yes when Media talks about our sport, was funny heard by these guys who even didnt know about Snyder and Sadulaev and called them "boys" and dreaming they join to MMA after 2020 lol 

1 minute ago, Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin said:

thats cool yes when Media talks about our sport, was funny heard by these guys who even didnt know about Snyder and Sadulaev and called them "boys" and dreaming they join to MMA after 2020 lol 

When the other guy called them "boys" he was just trying to say he thinks they will get heavier and stronger in the future.   That same guy also said he thinks Sadulaev will eventually be the best wrestler of all time.

3 hours ago, Katie said:

When the other guy called them "boys" he was just trying to say he thinks they will get heavier and stronger in the future.   That same guy also said he thinks Sadulaev will eventually be the best wrestler of all time.

If he's gonna be the GOAT he has to wrestle through 2024 and win every year IMO 

30 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

If he's gonna be the GOAT he has to wrestle through 2024 and win every year IMO 

He may compete through 2028 (when he'll be 32).

Snyder has him figured out and will no longer give him a huge bear hug on a shot.  It was middle school of Sadulaev, but he obviously worked on that and made it count.  Kudos.  I don't think Snyder lets that happen again.  Snyder, I hope, will win  WC again this year and Olympics next.   Sad is  one of the greats for sure.  Winning multiple titles get you in that  conversation. 

mspart

I feel like Burroughs is getting more and more interested in MMA. Early on, he said he would never do it. Recently he said he'd like one match. And in his post match interview with Askren he was definitely intrigued at the idea. The money will get to him eventually, especially if Dake were to beat him out for the Olympic spot. Askren stated he got $375k for his fight with Lawler. That dwarfs what Burroughs can make from the living the dream fund and his sponsorship opportunities would increase as well.

I hope he sticks with wrestling as long as he owns the world team spot, and he would make a great college coach, but I see him giving MMA a go before all is said an done.

20 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

I feel like Burroughs is getting more and more interested in MMA. Early on, he said he would never do it. Recently he said he'd like one match. And in his post match interview with Askren he was definitely intrigued at the idea. The money will get to him eventually, especially if Dake were to beat him out for the Olympic spot. Askren stated he got $375k for his fight with Lawler. That dwarfs what Burroughs can make from the living the dream fund and his sponsorship opportunities would increase as well.

I hope he sticks with wrestling as long as he owns the world team spot, and he would make a great college coach, but I see him giving MMA a go before all is said an done.

Burroughs is cutting it close on being too old for a serious MMA run.

Cormier was 30 for his first fight and Romero was 32.  Burroughs, meanwhile, will be 32 when the Tokyo Olympics begin.

If he wants to train for a few years for a one-off novelty fight in the UFC, that would be another story. Plenty of time for that.

Edited by Katie

30 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

On one of his old podcasts with Tommy, right after the 2016 Olympic trials, Ben was discussing and saying that Pico should go MMA right away since he's young and get that money.  I think he also said that in his first year of fighting, he made something like $600k+ and if you try to even compare that to making money wrestling, it's not even close.

4 hours ago, Crotalus said:

IF the money is right. He said he would be interested in trying one fight but it doesn't sound like it unless its for big check.

"It was middle school of Sadulaev, but he obviously worked on that and made it count. "

One has to wonder that if it was "middle school" of Sadulaev to hit that move, where does that put Snyder, who was pinned with it?

Edited by pa in taiwan

3 hours ago, pa in taiwan said:

"It was middle school of Sadulaev, but he obviously worked on that and made it count. "

One has to wonder that if it was "middle school" of Sadulaev to hit that move, where does that put Snyder, who was pinned with it?

He got caught.  Pure and simple.

22 hours ago, Crotalus said:

Burroughs will never get a payday like that unless he makes mma his career. He isn’t that big of a draw. He can be one day, but most mma fans haven’t even heard of him.