Jump to content
Jimmy Cinnabon

Rutgers is the key to ending the PSU dynasty - T/F?

Recommended Posts

On 5/15/2019 at 11:58 PM, Dr. Novak said:

Actually the cost to board at Blair is $64,500.  Doubt they're giving full rides for wrestlers but could be wrong.

Of course they are giving full rides. You think those kids from other states are going there and paying out of their own pocket? As far as I know Mark Perry's dad isn't filthy rich or anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 2:10 PM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Jordan Burroughs, a NJ guy, gold medalist, would be an amazing get.

Agreed--But I dont think that JB will be a college coach, I do not think that he wants it..im thinking he will coach FS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

Rutgers isn't the key to anything. Some success now thanks to a Penn State transfer, but other than that they are Utah Valley University East.

Right since Rutgers has had 10 all americans in the last 5 years while Utah Valley has had 2 in their program's history.  You're talking about the Rutgers pre Goodale and co.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tabenn said:

Agreed--But I dont think that JB will be a college coach, I do not think that he wants it..im thinking he will coach FS.

 

I think the best HC are the guys with superb technique (and the ability to teach it), guys who never had to rely on brute strength, freakish quickness, or funk to win a match.  That eliminates people like JB or Ben Askren, imo. Sure, JB could be a fantastic coach, but there's no way he's going to be able to teach just any wrestler how to execute the blast double that made him special. No way Ben Askren can teach wrestlers how to be super-squirrely, that's something you either have or you don't. Gimmicky wrestlers who relied on a particular skillset make me....uneasy in the position of HC. I could be 100% off base though. There's a lot more to coaching than just teaching moves/technique. There's making sure your team is in great shape, keeping track of all the team's logistics, recruiting, etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 7:58 PM, Dr. Novak said:

Actually the cost to board at Blair is $64,500.  Doubt they're giving full rides for wrestlers but could be wrong.

 

According to the New York Times in 2003, 60% of the wrestling team was on scholarship compared to 40% overall (apparently the tuition has over doubled since then).

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/04/nyregion/education-wrestling-is-king-at-blair.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

 

I think the best HC are the guys with superb technique (and the ability to teach it), guys who never had to rely on brute strength, freakish quickness, or funk to win a match.  That eliminates people like JB or Ben Askren, imo. Sure, JB could be a fantastic coach, but there's no way he's going to be able to teach just any wrestler how to execute the blast double that made him special. No way Ben Askren can teach wrestlers how to be super-squirrely, that's something you either have or you don't. Gimmicky wrestlers who relied on a particular skillset make me....uneasy in the position of HC. I could be 100% off base though. There's a lot more to coaching than just teaching moves/technique. There's making sure your team is in great shape, keeping track of all the team's logistics, recruiting, etc.

 

Askren is one of the best technicians in the game. His scrambling or funk is just next level technique.  He also has a tremendous wrestling mind. Very cerebral approach to the sport.

I don’t think he will ever want to be a college coach because he has his own business and calls his own shots, but if he wanted to he could be a tremendous coach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×