Housebuye

Who will be the breakout stars at 2019 Worlds?

I know we don't know who is going yet, but we have a pretty good idea right now.  

Criteria

Biggest improvement YoY

Places the same or better than best prior placement (JB can't be included in he gets a silver, but can if he gets a gold)

Wins a medal 

USA

57 - If Fix makes the team, I think he has a great shot at a bronze. He needs to get to his offense more consistently to be in title contention. Worlds is stacked at 57kg this year I expect, due to the Olympic qualifying spot. Fix also probably has a weigh in advantage. He knows how to wrestle day of scratch. He never gets tired. 

65 - Yianni, if he makes the team, is clearly a title threat. He just beat Bajrang and in a competitive match. This isn't like the Suriano win, where he did what he had to do but it didn't teach us much. Yianni proved he can shoot and score, counter, and keep pace with the top tier of the weight. 

70 - Nolf time. He has the ability to medal this year. I know he has a long road just to make the team, but I expect that he does it and medals. 

92 - Assuming Cox beats Bo, I think he takes it to another level this year at worlds. By all accounts coming out of camps, he is looking sharp and his transitions are more fluid than ever. Having to beat Bo bets 2/3 is going to keep Cox highly motivated. I think he not only wins worlds, but does so dominantly. He will probably have a down match (as he tends to do...) but I think he dominates in the finals. I honestly kind of hope a world champ enters at 92 this year, but I'm not sure who that would be. Seems like Yazdani and Sadulaev wouldn't benefit at all by going to 92 and nobody else in that weight range comes to mind besides Americans that are still active and won worlds

I know we don't know who is going yet, but we have a pretty good idea right now.  
Criteria
Biggest improvement YoY
Places the same or better than best prior placement (JB can't be included in he gets a silver, but can if he gets a gold)
Wins a medal 
USA
57 - If Fix makes the team, I think he has a great shot at a bronze. He needs to get to his offense more consistently to be in title contention. Worlds is stacked at 57kg this year I expect, due to the Olympic qualifying spot. Fix also probably has a weigh in advantage. He knows how to wrestle day of scratch. He never gets tired. 
 65 - Yianni, if he makes the team, is clearly a title threat. He just beat Bajrang and in a competitive match. This isn't like the Suriano win, where he did what he had to do but it didn't teach us much. Yianni proved he can shoot and score, counter, and keep pace with the top tier of the weight. 
70 - Nolf time. He has the ability to medal this year. I know he has a long road just to make the team, but I expect that he does it and medals. 
92 - Assuming Cox beats Bo, I think he takes it to another level this year at worlds. By all accounts coming out of camps, he is looking sharp and his transitions are more fluid than ever. Having to beat Bo bets 2/3 is going to keep Cox highly motivated. I think he not only wins worlds, but does so dominantly. He will probably have a down match (as he tends to do...) but I think he dominates in the finals. I honestly kind of hope a world champ enters at 92 this year, but I'm not sure who that would be. Seems like Yazdani and Sadulaev wouldn't benefit at all by going to 92 and nobody else in that weight range comes to mind besides Americans that are still active and won worlds

Nolf is going at 74 kg.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Pantaleo at 70kg.
The only guy at 70 I don't think Pantaleo beats 50% or more of the time right now is Nolf.
Nolf is now going 74kg.
I'll be surprised if Pantaleo gets by JG.
Green is our guy here for at least one more year. Well and if they do the secondary worlds again (during an Olympic year) I'd take him... then his run is over I believe.

This thread has potential.

But all our upper weights are known so it's down to Yianni or Fix.

Personally. I think Yianni is more likely to not succeed.
100% love everything about him, but his close matches with Zain and J.O. (I know it was a tech but it was close) make me a little more nervous. In the least patronizing way.... there are a lot of Zain Retherfords across the WORLD.... especially at this weight. I hope he wins and the Bajrang match was encouraging, but I dont expect him to with anything but hoping for a medal.

FIX.... I like that he had a disappointing juniors in his last outting, and Gilman has been our guy, feel like it drops him off the World radar a bit. He can end matches quickly and his neutral offense and turns, are tough to deal with when you're unfamiliar with him. I also dont think this weight is as deep with elite elite level guys.

I'd be less surprised if he won it than Yianni but only by the slightest of margins.

Colon/Brewer/Nico... If they medal great, dont expect much

Green.. could medal.

JB top 3

KD top 1

DT top 3

JC top 3

Gwiz top 5 for sure

The last 5 weights we kind of expect medals domestically. As far as international teams go. Who knows but Tsabalov/Chamizo meet next week, get your popcorn ready.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

On 5/14/2019 at 4:30 PM, de4856 said:

Well I think the breakout star will be Yianni. I believe he will do very well at the World's, and I think he can medal. 

This!!

mspart

On 5/14/2019 at 6:30 PM, spladle08 said:

I'll be surprised if Pantaleo gets by JG.
Green is our guy here for at least one more year. Well and if they do the secondary worlds again (during an Olympic year) I'd take him... then his run is over I believe.

This thread has potential.

But all our upper weights are known so it's down to Yianni or Fix.

Personally. I think Yianni is more likely to not succeed.
100% love everything about him, but his close matches with Zain and J.O. (I know it was a tech but it was close) make me a little more nervous. In the least patronizing way.... there are a lot of Zain Retherfords across the WORLD.... especially at this weight. I hope he wins and the Bajrang match was encouraging, but I dont expect him to with anything but hoping for a medal.

FIX.... I like that he had a disappointing juniors in his last outting, and Gilman has been our guy, feel like it drops him off the World radar a bit. He can end matches quickly and his neutral offense and turns, are tough to deal with when you're unfamiliar with him. I also dont think this weight is as deep with elite elite level guys.

I'd be less surprised if he won it than Yianni but only by the slightest of margins.

Colon/Brewer/Nico... If they medal great, dont expect much

Green.. could medal.

JB top 3

KD top 1

DT top 3

JC top 3

Gwiz top 5 for sure

The last 5 weights we kind of expect medals domestically. As far as international teams go. Who knows but Tsabalov/Chamizo meet next week, get your popcorn ready.

Who do you have between Tsabalov and Chamizo? 

Last year Chamizo pinned him, but Tsabolov was in on numerous shots. Obviously if you cant finish it doesnt matter. I think Chamizo is just a little too tricky for him.
I think I saw Demirtas is also entered, if you remember at 2018 Euros Chamizo let-up and tried to coast and gave the match away. I wonder if he will make it a point to crush this time (assuming they wrestle)

And I'm probably the biggest Chamizo homer on these boards. So vs anyone, you already know which side I'm on. Always torn with JB but... damn that talented ass Chamizo

3 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Last year Chamizo pinned him, but Tsabolov was in on numerous shots. Obviously if you cant finish it doesnt matter. I think Chamizo is just a little too tricky for him.
I think I saw Demirtas is also entered, if you remember at 2018 Euros Chamizo let-up and tried to coast and gave the match away. I wonder if he will make it a point to crush this time (assuming they wrestle)

Did you see that Romanov was entered as well.....if he's back 100% that could make 65 or 70 very interesting depending on how much weight (if any) he wants to cut.....

Did you see that Romanov was entered as well.....if he's back 100% that could make 65 or 70 very interesting depending on how much weight (if any) he wants to cut.....

I did I did. And very interested in what he does for Olympics 2020.

Entrants list if anyone cares (totally off topic for this thread)

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/entries-released-sassari-city-matteo-pellicone-memorial

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

My pick would be Haryutunyan (61kg) from Armenia... that kid impressed the hell out of me at Euro's.  I guess he already sort of had his "breakout" performance, but in terms of breaking out at the World Championships he'd be the guy I'm looking to.

Love it. He came out of nowhere.