Does he get the 1 seed based off of his 10-0 tech of Gantt at the 2017 US Open?

If they don't credit him for that, then I could see anywhere from 1-6.

I believe they'll seed him as the 1. I believe Richie Lewis will then be the 4 or 5. Maybe the three. He is the only other question mark as far as seeding goes. We could essentially see Nolf, Valencia and Massa on the top half with Gantt and Lewis on the bottom half.

1 minute ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Doesn’t make sense to me, make a team and get some international experience first than go try to take out the goat 

Top 3 are 'on the team' so to say. He still can be on the team.

Edited by nhs67
I have fat fingers and need to spellcheck.

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Top 3 are 'on the team's so to say. He still can be on the team.

If he makes it to the WTT Finals against Green at 70kg he'll be on the National Team and have an exponentially better chance of making the World Team. Is 154 day of too much of a cut?

He likely spoke with his coaches and came to the conclusion that the three extra pounds wasn't worth it. He faded against Green. Let's see him at 74kg(157+6.1lbs) before we judge him for wanting to leave 70kg(157-2.7lbs).

Seems like an odd move. Path to Final X and making the team is much easier at 70kg than 74kg. Who would choose a path through Imar then Burroughs instead of Green then Deakin? 

My guess: Zain is bumping to 70kg. He looked sucked out at 65kg and the path to making the team is a whole lot easier at 70kg than 65kg. 

Edited by MDogg

Just now, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Yeah I’m talking world team not national team. 

Fair enough. His chances at #1 are quite a bit more difficult at 74kg, for sure. I still like his chances at 74kg to make the national team, though.

1 minute ago, MDogg said:

Seems like an odd move. Path to Final X and making the team is much easier at 65kg than 70kg. Who would choose a path through Imar then Burroughs instead of Green then Deakin? 

My guess: Zain is bumping to 70kg. He looked sucked out at 65kg and the path to making the team is a whole lot easier at 70kg than 65kg. 

No way Zain is going 70. He spent a year shrinking his body to make 65, the goal is the Olympics and 65 is an Olympic weight 

Just now, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

No way Zain is going 70. He spent a year shrinking his body to make 65, the goal is the Olympics and 65 is an Olympic weight 

He can still do Oly 65kg. This isn't an Oly year.

I don't see Zain going 70kg, though.

2 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

He spent a year shrinking his body...and it didn’t work. He’s not going to make the team at 65kg and would be arguably the favorite at 70kg. A medal at 70kg earns him a bye to the Olympic trial semis next year, staying home gets him nothing. 

If Nolf is adjusting on the fly and changing weights post-Open why would that be out of the question for Zain? Especially because Nolf is going up to a much harder weight class whereas Zain would be moving up into a much easier weight.

6 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

He’s already at 65, why would he bump to 70 just to come back down. Doesn’t make any sense to me. 

Registration closes tonight so we’ll find out soon enough

The weird timing of Nolf’s sudden move up suggests Zain going 70 kg is a real possibility, but I wouldn’t say 70 kg is a much easier weight class. Green has a world silver and bronze and beat JO at the weight. JO has owned Zain historically. Doesn’t mean Zain couldn’t beat Green, but at least JO didn’t find 70 kg much easier.

I buy the tough cut theory a little too. I was surprised Nolf held 157 all five years.

There are a tonne of things to consider.

This may have to do with Cenzo. We saw quite a few NLWC fellars make a run this season in freestyle. Hall and Nevills at the last chance. Perhaps Nolf went 70kg in anticipation of Cenzo going 74kg. Cenzo chose not to go.

This may be a Zain thing. Zain VS Nolf has long been a topic for discussion. The fact may be that Zain has decided it needs to be 70kg for 2019. Whether the Yianni effect, easier path, a botched deceny plan, Oliver... etc. etc. etc. Then add in that while we play it off as not much, Nolf and Zain are longtime friends and maybe they're just not interested in trying their friendship. For the record, Zain wins that match at 70kg right now.

Another factor is perhaps Nolf just wants to prep for 2020. There is no chance he is going 65kg. 74kg is what it has to be. So why cut? A lingering injury or pain may have made the last 3lbs of the 70kg cut just too much.

Just now, wrestlingnerd said:

For the record, meaning that’s your prediction or you know this to be fact? I for one would be surprised if Nolf can’t beat Zain. 

Were I a betting man I would put my house deed on Zain beating him at 70kg right now.

Zain has been giving the freestyle thing a go for a year longer now. Nolf was clearly off at the Open.

Even going back to years past and common opponents, Zain was winning where Nolf was losing (Kennedy, Chamberlain, Pami come to mind) in the last 3 or 4 years.

In 2021 if both are giving 70kg a go, I like Nolfs chances a bit better. Not now, though.

25 minutes ago, MDogg said:

He spent a year shrinking his body...and it didn’t work. He’s not going to make the team at 65kg and would be arguably the favorite at 70kg. A medal at 70kg earns him a bye to the Olympic trial semis next year, staying home gets him nothing. 

If Nolf is adjusting on the fly and changing weights post-Open why would that be out of the question for Zain? Especially because Nolf is going up to a much harder weight class whereas Zain would be moving up into a much easier weight.

What do you mean it didn’t work? He lost a really close match to Yianni in a match he was winning late. 

Too many comments, I didnt read but obviously he isnt "World ready" right now... even if he was to beat JG. Then it's just more months of staying small only to go 0-1 once he got there....

I'm sure they just want him to start bulking up and growing for a real weight (olympic) in 2020, no chance hes going down... it's a solid approach.

*note I dont see him developing. a game to challenge Dake or JB in 2020, but adapting to the weight early cant hurt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

The weird timing of Nolf’s sudden move up suggests Zain going 70 kg is a real possibility, but I wouldn’t say 70 kg is a much easier weight class. Green has a world silver and bronze and beat JO at the weight. JO has owned Zain historically. Doesn’t mean Zain couldn’t beat Green, but at least JO didn’t find 70 kg much easier.
I buy the tough cut theory a little too. I was surprised Nolf held 157 all five years.
ZainTreezy doesnt have the option to move does he? Seems undersized at 70kg anyways, I think JG would give him the ole Weinerschnitzel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk