There are going to be some crazy match-ups  at the trials for the Tokyo team.  This is going to be smokin hot to battle on the mat with the Ruskies again.  We had a great team last year, but they were clearly the better team.  Now if we can just raise our game ever so slightly, it will be tough for them to have a better performance than last year at the UWW  Championships.

Zain hammered Green a few years back in freestyle at 65KG.

Yeah JG is one of those guys that turns into a JV guy if he has to cut too much.

1000% after how that effort turned out, we see him up at 74kg in 2020... unless hes figured out a way to get down and remain efficient. Of all our guys, I feel like he is the ultimate tweener.

Well and then the entire 61kg weight class (what is that 134?) Do you try it bulk up to 143 or slim down to 125... whatever they do, it feels like the wrong choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

A few things to consider:

Wrestlers get old. "The GOAT" may not be what he was five to seven years ago, and he would be the first to admit it. 

If you want to see someone fade from too much weight cut, wait until you see Dake at 74kg.! I honestly don't think we'll see it.

Nolf is making the right decision. He would never mention it, being the single-minded point scoring machine that he is, but the cut to 157 was probably starting to take a toll; look at the match with Hidlay. The cut to 70kg was worse; he probably didn't feel well, and he still was only a hair away from taking out Green. He will be at the top of his game at 74kg, if not for WTT, then for Olympic trials next year. And seriously, that is the target.

A few things to consider: Wrestlers get old. "The GOAT" may not be what he was five to seven years ago, and he would be the first to admit it. 

If you want to see someone fade from too much weight cut, wait until you see Dake at 74kg.! I honestly don't think we'll see it.

Nolf is making the right decision. He would never mention it, being the single-minded point scoring machine that he is, but the cut to 157 was probably starting to take a toll; look at the match with Hidlay. The cut to 70kg was worse; he probably didn't feel well, and he still was only a hair away from taking out Green. He will be at the top of his game at 74kg, if not for WTT, then for Olympic trials next year. And seriously, that is the target.

Are you implying Dake slimming down over a few months and JB (i guess you're saying father time but he's still clearly top 3 in the world) are going to regress back to the pack enough to possibly fall victim to a domestic guy, new to freestyle, with 0 stellar results, simply because his weight cutting has been what's holding him back... ????  

Is it more likely:

That his lack of consistent offense from his feet puts him at a freestyle disadvantage and he doesnt make the team in 2020,

or

He beats either of them (Burroughs/Dake) ...

I know my answer.

3 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Are you implying Dake slimming down over a few months and JB (i guess you're saying father time but he's still clearly top 3 in the world) are going to regress back to the pack enough to possibly fall victim to a domestic guy, new to freestyle, with 0 stellar results, simply because his weight cutting has been what's holding him back... ????

Is it more likely that his lack of consistent offense from his feet puts him at a freestyle disadvantage, where it didnt so much in folk and he doesnt make the team in 2020,
or
He beats either of them (Burroughs/Dake) ...

I know my answer.

No, I'm saying the domestic guy new to freestyle is making the right choice for his future in freestyle, especially for the Olympic trials. Get back to me after World's about who is top 3; go watch the last 8.2 seconds of JB's match against Sidikov. 8.2 seconds. Additionally, I'd call your description of Dake going to 74kg., "slimming down", the understatement of the year. Look at Dake at 79kg. Not an ounce of excess weight. He's ripped. Those 5 kg will come with a serious price tag. 

I've never heard Nolf described as having a lack of consistent offense from his feet, and yes, I know that you're talking about freestyle. 

No, I'm saying the domestic guy new to freestyle is making the right choice for his future in freestyle, especially for the Olympic trials. Get back to me after World's about who is top 3; go watch the last 8.2 seconds of JB's match against Sidikov. 8.2 seconds. Additionally, I'd call your description of Dake going to 74kg., "slimming down", the understatement of the year. Look at Dake at 79kg. Not an ounce of excess weight. He's ripped. Those 5 kg will come with a serious price tag. 

I've never heard Nolf described as having a lack of consistent offense from his feet, and yes, I know that you're talking about freestyle. 

Yeah Freestyle is about clean finishes and Nolf just doesnt have that (yet).

And yes JB lost in the final second to the eventual champ who also had beaten Tsabalov to qualify and Chamizo at worlds.

JB went on to beat Chamizo, who many(including myself) think is one of the other top 3, for Bronze

Yes JB had a tough match with Franklin Gomez recently, because Franklin Gomez is tough.

Yes Dake will need to drop some muscle to get down in weight, but if there was one guy changing weights in all of wrestling youd expect Dake to do it the most efficiently.

I do agree with you. Adjusting your body earlier rather than later. Is 100% the smarter decision.

But adjusting or not. Beating 2 world champs to make your first Olympic team is stuff of legends. And Nolf just isnt close to a Freestyle power yet. By 2024 though, look out, I have faith in his ability to understand wrestling, and I think somewhere down the road he will make this style work for him.

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

Yeah JG is one of those guys that turns into a JV guy if he has to cut too much.

1000% after how that effort turned out, we see him up at 74kg in 2020... unless hes figured out a way to get down and remain efficient. Of all our guys, I feel like he is the ultimate tweener.

Well and then the entire 61kg weight class (what is that 134?) Do you try it bulk up to 143 or slim down to 125... whatever they do, it feels like the wrong choice.

We are going to end up with some crazy matches at the Olympic trials. Something like Nico vs Zain, Hall vs Taylor...going to be fun

3 hours ago, MDogg said:

Seems like an odd move. Path to Final X and making the team is much easier at 70kg than 74kg. Who would choose a path through Imar then Burroughs instead of Green then Deakin? 

My guess: Zain is bumping to 70kg. He looked sucked out at 65kg and the path to making the team is a whole lot easier at 70kg than 65kg. 

Why would Zain moving up cause Nolf to move up? They are no longer wrestling for Penn State.

We are going to end up with some crazy matches at the Olympic trials. Something like Nico vs Zain, Hall vs Taylor...going to be fun

I've thought about this a little more. And at most of the other weights you can adapt one way or the other within a year's time. But man if you've conditioned your body to 134.... 9 pounds up or 9 pounds down thats a hell of an adjustment at such a light weight, I dont expect any world placers to be Olympic placers the following year.

Hell honestly all non-Olympic weights aside from 92kg that's a damn devestating adjustment in a short amount of time. 92kg I feel like the strength/size up or down doesnt matter AS MUCH.

Like you said, makes for some great matchups but you really limit your Olympic potential being a tweener guy....

I understand world medals are fun to grab but I guess they should switch to 6 all the time or keep 10 all the time. Weird they swap em

Dake/Ringer/Zahid/Cox I still expect big things from but....

Nico/Colon/Brewer/Pantalao/Green/blah blah... where these guys going to be effective at inside of a year. ? Or do they just concede and go to the modified worlds.

1 hour ago, pa in taiwan said:

Additionally, I'd call your description of Dake going to 74kg., "slimming down", the understatement of the year. Look at Dake at 79kg. Not an ounce of excess weight. He's ripped. Those 5 kg will come with a serious price tag. 

I’ll have to find the interview but I heard Dake say that he weighed in 2-3kgs under for his weigh-ins for worlds. I was shocked when I heard it, that’s why I remember it.

1 minute ago, Jon_Kozak said:

I’ll have to find the interview but I heard Dake say that he weighed in 2-3kgs under for his weigh-ins for worlds. I was shocked when I heard it, that’s why I remember it.

I'd be interested to see it...because I don't believe it. 

16 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

I'd be interested to see it...because I don't believe it. 

https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/PortalPlayer.jsp?TIM=1540475318700&twSessionId=eqatvucomwntsil&videoId=741651132

I didn’t believe it either but here it is...just found it.

Said he was 3 kilos under the morning of world finals.

Edited by Jon_Kozak

Nolf could be considering the long game.  I don't see him as an MMA guy so he may not be in to big off a hurry to leave his shoes on the mat.  After 2020 JB will be done and I think Dake retires too. With ringer going up, 74 kg opens up.  I don't see Zahid staying there forever.  At some point he is going to fill out.  Even still I don't think he beats Nolf.  Imar isn't the answer. He's good but I don't think he is world medals level.  Nolf is probably the best prospect to take the reigns after JB and Dake and has at least the 2024 cycle in him.  I don't see him getting over that weight either.

3 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I see Mekhi Lewis as an up and comer.  His freestyle future feels brighter than Nolf's to me.

Nolf is one of the most dynamic wrestlers ever. If you think Lewis has it over him because he is freak athlete that makes sense(though nolf is a freak athlete too so i don't agree), but if you think his learning curve is better than Nolfs I am not on board.  

Nolf has the most hype for someone who has shown the least of all our upcoming prospects. Who exactly has he even beat of significance at this level ? He is overrated in freestyle right now and I'd bet Retherford hammers him. I think Zain medals if he moves up to 70.

Dake’s strength and being in good position almost all the time make him feel “big”. But we know the fattest version of Dake ever woke up at 183 and weighed in at 186 after a full breakfast for the 86 kg trials in the last Olympic cycle. That’s after many months of all-out overeating. He can’t be much more than mid-170s when he’s ripped. 74 kg is his best weight and he’ll have zero problem making the weight. Making the team... that remains to be seen. 

2 minutes ago, alliseeisgold said:

Nolf has the most hype for someone who has shown the least of all our upcoming prospects. Who exactly has he even beat of significance at this level ? He is overrated in freestyle right now and I'd bet Retherford hammers him. I think Zain medals if he moves up to 70.

He hasn’t shown much in the way of results, agreed. But his upside is pretty obvious. Did he even wrestle freestyle at all in HS? Maybe a few matches, if that. He is already very competitive with two-time medalist Green and has had zero years of focusing on freestyle. 

Ill take the other side of your bet re: Zain hammering Nolf. I don’t see it at all. 

1 minute ago, hammerlockthree said:

WOW. Any facts behind all that......or is pretending to know things a lifestyle?

If that’s directed at me, I’m too lazy to find the interview in which he was asked about his weight and answered as I mentioned. Koll has also made comments in the past about Dake’s weight and the move up to 86 kg being “contrived” (his word). Dake posted pictures of his meals on social media while he was bulking up. But i guess you think Dake is a compulsive liar since you can’t believe he’s not that big despite him not being that big, as the previous poster just showed you.