wrestlingphish

Nolf to 74kg

7 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Nolf is one of the most dynamic wrestlers ever. If you think Lewis has it over him because he is freak athlete that makes sense(though nolf is a freak athlete too so i don't agree), but if you think his learning curve is better than Nolfs I am not on board.  

Well Lewis won gold at Junior Worlds so there’s at least one reason to think he’s ahead of Nolf when it comes to freestyle. 

11 hours ago, NJDan said:

Why would Zain moving up cause Nolf to move up? They are no longer wrestling for Penn State.

NLWC has a history of doing everything they can to make sure their top guys aren’t competing for the same spot. It inevitably happens from time but they try to avoid it especially in non-Olympic years. If Cael & Company believe both Nolf and Zain can make the team this year they’re gonna make sure it’s not an either/or situation.

NLWC has a history of doing everything they can to make sure their top guys aren’t competing for the same spot. It inevitably happens from time but they try to avoid it especially in non-Olympic years. If Cael & Company believe both Nolf and Zain can make the team this year they’re gonna make sure it’s not an either/or situation.

If it was qualifying for the team as in top 3... they would almost be locks at their original weights.

If you mean an opportunity for both guys to be our "rep" THIS YEAR.... LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

If it was qualifying for the team as in top 3... they would almost be locks at their original weights.

It’s not what I think it’s what Cael and NLWC think. You think Nolf, Zain and Cael’s goals are top 3?

42 minutes ago, MDogg said:

No examples are popping into my head.  Can you provide a bit of a history lesson for me?

It’s not what I think it’s what Cael and NLWC think. You think Nolf, Zain and Cael’s goals are top 3?
Yeah not at all.
Do you think anyone on their team thinks Nolf has a better chance to be our rep at 74. And Nolf would say "let me go take on Burroughs, Zain you take on JG, so we can both make the team"...

Yeah he needs to bulk up for Olympics while Zain would need to stay down. Adjusting to the Olympic weight makes the most sense.
This idea he's giving up the spot so he and Zain dont have to compete is laughable, and even more laughable is the idea that this gives them the best shot at being our reps.

Zain wrestled Yianni super close, as has Nolf with JG.... if the coaching staff legitimately said "nope scrap those results we are bumping. both of you to take on world medalist" how inept would they be.

Zain stays down. Nolf goes up. Neither wrestlers movement says anything about the other.

Seems odd, and I don't believe Zain will bump up to 70 but could be wrong. I do think this means that Nolf has decided Imar will be easier to beat than Green, but then has to beat Burroughs rather than Deakin. So perhaps rather this being a deep strategy, it really is as simple as he doesn't want to cut as much weight. 

10 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Seems odd, and I don't believe Zain will bump up to 70 but could be wrong. I do think this means that Nolf has decided Imar will be easier to beat than Green, but then has to beat Burroughs rather than Deakin. So perhaps rather this being a deep strategy, it really is as simple as he doesn't want to cut as much weight. 

I don’t think the PSU guys think like this. They go to whatever weight They wrestle their best. The only other criteria are teammates (somewhat) and Olympic weight. 

My best guess is Nolf feels he is at his best at 74kg, so he is going 74kg. He doesn’t care who is at the weight, because he will have to beat them if he wants to make the Olympics

we see it at every major tournament, including trials. Draws, injuries, and matchups lead to weird results. Nolf could very well make FinalX vs JB. JB, while a big favorite vs Nolf, can have an off day. Nolf’s pace will be helpful in a best 2/3 series, although it would work better against literally anyone in the country than JB

2 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Of course people are talking about making the World Team when discussing the World Team trials.  Why is there even any confusion where some people think the discussion is about making the national team?

Of course people are talking about making the World Team when discussing the World Team trials.  Why is there even any confusion where some people think the discussion is about making the national team?
Because the notion of going up a weight to defeat Burroughs
Being easier than
Staying at your "normal" weight and beating Green.... sounds ridiculous.

If you think the field is thinner and you can make the "team" (which I also dont think is true) that's a whole separate argument.

But yeah... that's why I asked

People talk like Zain wasn’t close to beating Yianni. He finds a way to finish one more of his good shots and that score is reversed. I wouldn’t bet against him not finishing better next time around. 

Edited by AIW-HS

People talk like Zain wasn’t close to beating Yianni. He finds a way to finish one more of his good shots and that score is reversed. I wouldn’t bet against him not finishing better next time around. 
He was close, but the better wrestler prevailed. Zain wasted his talent working a bow an arrow for three years when he should have been cleaning up his takedown technique. Too stubborn to change.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well the more I think about this, the more it makes me scratch my head, now it could be that as I said earlier that maybe Nolf feels that the weight cut is impacting his performance. So hence the move up, and it also could be what some others have suggested that Nolf is playing the long game and going 74 now in preparation for 2020. Which could be, but my thinking is that Nolf isn't getting by JB, this year or in 2020, so the way I see it Jason will not make a team until 2021. My feeling that Jason's best chance to make a World Team this year is at 70. But it also could be that Jason wants more time to get his body acclimated to 74, while simultaneously improving his Freestyle skills. I guess time will tell. 

7 hours ago, de4856 said:

Well the more I think about this, the more it makes me scratch my head, now it could be that as I said earlier that maybe Nolf feels that the weight cut is impacting his performance. So hence the move up, and it also could be what some others have suggested that Nolf is playing the long game and going 74 now in preparation for 2020. Which could be, but my thinking is that Nolf isn't getting by JB, this year or in 2020, so the way I see it Jason will not make a team until 2021. My feeling that Jason's best chance to make a World Team this year is at 70. But it also could be that Jason wants more time to get his body acclimated to 74, while simultaneously improving his Freestyle skills. I guess time will tell. 

Like most of you I do not think that Nolf can unseat JB.  I doubt many people thought 3X Gold winner K Jackson would lose his spot in 1996 to a young guy who just graduated college and was starting his FS career.  I didn't expect Yianni to do what he did over the last month. It doesn't matter what we think as long as Nolf believes he can do it. 

3 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

Like most of you I do not think that Nolf can unseat JB.  I doubt many people thought 3X Gold winner K Jackson would lose his spot in 1996 to a young guy who just graduated college and was starting his FS career.  I didn't expect Yianni to do what he did over the last month. It doesn't matter what we think as long as Nolf believes he can do it. 

No. It matters if he can do it. We'll know after this weekend. If he is the 1 seed I have him losing before the challenge tourney finals to Massa. If he is the 2 seed I have Valencia beating him.

FRL whiffed on a match 2 years ago in freestyle that Nolf won 10-0. I think Nolf gets thr 1 nod for that.

No. It matters if he can do it. We'll know after this weekend. If he is the 1 seed I have him losing before the challenge tourney finals to Massa. If he is the 2 seed I have Valencia beating him.

FRL whiffed on a match 2 years ago in freestyle that Nolf won 10-0. I think Nolf gets thr 1 nod for that.

Lol yeah I kinda smiled at that as well.

And Yianni beating top guys was always a possibility. He prefers Freestyle and we have never been good at the weight.

Conversely, Nolf does not have an extensive freestyle background and we have one of the best guys in the world at that weight.

Obviously we shall see, but belief only gets you so far. At some point you have to consider results.

Nolf's great, he just isnt a great freestyler.... yet

On 5/15/2019 at 8:29 AM, Plasmodium said:

No examples are popping into my head.  Can you provide a bit of a history lesson for me?

What examples can you name of Cael’s elite guys ever going head to head for the same spot on a world team? You think the fact that’s never happened is just a coincidence? Molinaro left NLWC in the year leading up to him and Zain battling for same spot. 

I’m guessing you heard about the drama and fallout that happened with the Hawkeye WC around the 61kg Olympic trials. Not sure how you could think wrestling clubs don’t actively try to avoid that kind of situation.

It will happen next season because of how many contenders they’ll have who have no option but to go 74 or 86.