Sign in to follow this  
Swayz

RIP Wrestling Programs

NAIA  Kansas Wesleyan -2019

DII  Lindenwood-Belleville 2019 (consolidating with DII Lindenwood)

What is the situation with Wheeling Jesuit?   They keeping?   Financially the school is struggling, but the team did well.  Head coach peaced out though and I don't blame him.

2 hours ago, Swayz said:

What is the situation with Wheeling Jesuit?   They keeping?   Financially the school is struggling, but the team did well.  Head coach peaced out though and I don't blame him.

Their wrestlers are going too.  Quite a few have already decided to go to West Liberty State College.

Article says Kansas Wesleyan only entered 4 guys into the postseason, the team just started in 2015 and the whole school has an enrollment of about 800.  Any loss isn’t good but to be honest this one doesn’t seem like it will have a huge impact.

6 hours ago, Swayz said:

NAIA  Kansas Wesleyan -2019

DII  Lindenwood-Belleville 2019 (consolidating with DII Lindenwood)

Lindenwood Belleville is NAIA, the other campus is D2 (the one they are merging with).

I believe there are gonna have a 2019-2020 season as long as the coaching staff stays, but its being folded aftwards... Kinda sucks since they got their first NAIA All American this past season and the women's program has had some success... Also pulled in Montell Marion as an assistant too

19 hours ago, wrestlingrecruit said:

Lindenwood Belleville is NAIA, the other campus is D2 (the one they are merging with).

I believe there are gonna have a 2019-2020 season as long as the coaching staff stays, but its being folded aftwards... Kinda sucks since they got their first NAIA All American this past season and the women's program has had some success... Also pulled in Montell Marion as an assistant too

Duh on Belleville- that's my bad. I knew that being an old NAIA coach.  Karwath  should have a solid team with them too.  I think Lindenwoods should consolidate like the New York 2 schools that are combining to become DI.  DI in that area of Missouri would work!

I didnt realize montell was at lindenwood belleville, how long has he been there? Any chance he moves over to st Charles to the main LU campus? I'd be very excited to see marion there as a lindenwood alum

2 hours ago, Swayz said:

Duh on Belleville- that's my bad. I knew that being an old NAIA coach.  Karwath  should have a solid team with them too.  I think Lindenwoods should consolidate like the New York 2 schools that are combining to become DI.  DI in that area of Missouri would work!

Lindenwood is pretty good at pulling in former d1 guys that dont want to do that grind. I believe they just had Colby Smith transfer in for this coming season. Not sure if adding another d1 school in MO would be a good thing, consolidating the in state talent to one place makes Mizzou competitive on the regular

23 hours ago, Perry said:

Lindenwood is pretty good at pulling in former d1 guys that dont want to do that grind. I believe they just had Colby Smith transfer in for this coming season. Not sure if adding another d1 school in MO would be a good thing, consolidating the in state talent to one place makes Mizzou competitive on the regular

I've heard rumblings from time to time that Lindenwood wanted to transition into D1 and FCS in football. They are joining the GLVC this year though so I don't see any that happening any time soon.

On 5/15/2019 at 5:23 AM, gowrestle said:

Enrollment driven decisions are the mantra of the day. Wrestling is not looking good at schools struggling to fill seats. 

It depends. Kolat successfully  pitches how his wrestling team would drive enrollment up at Campbell. 

It can’t work everywhere, but if I were a coach at a program that might be cut from a small school, I’d give Kolat a call. I’m sure he’d share his approach and documentation. 

33 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

It depends. Kolat successfully  pitches how his wrestling team would drive enrollment up at Campbell. 

It can’t work everywhere, but if I were a coach at a program that might be cut from a small school, I’d give Kolat a call. I’m sure he’d share his approach and documentation. 

How does a wrestling team drives enrollment? Besides the guys on the team, that is?

2 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

How does a wrestling team drives enrollment? Besides the guys on the team, that is?

Exactly how you say it does. It adds 25-40 men to the school that would not otherwise be there. At a small school, that is significant. If you can add 30 men for the cost of an operating budget and one full time coach, you come out way ahead, especially at a school with the enrollment typical of schools that are adding the sport these days. The math at Campbell makes a little less sense since they have D1 expenses and the wrestling roster is a much smaller percentage of the student body than at DIII and NAIA school, but they also have one of the largest rosters of any team in D1. 

For other small, private schools, it makes sense. Iowa Wesleyan, who just announced, has a little over 600 students. Adding men's and women's wrestling add a significant percentage to their enrollment. 

Campbell may be pushing the fact that they are spreading awareness of the school to other parts of the country (and world apparently) who may have never heard of Campbell which is pretty much in the middle of nowhere (OK it's at least 45 minutes from Raleigh).  Their roster consists of guys from NY, PA, Iowa, Kentucky, Mongolia, Montana, SC, VA, NJ, OH, Michigan, Vermont, Finland, Alaska, MD, FL, Nebraska, California, TX, WV, IL, MO, RI, OK, IN, NC and GA.

Edited by 1032004

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

Exactly how you say it does. It adds 25-40 men to the school that would not otherwise be there. At a small school, that is significant. If you can add 30 men for the cost of an operating budget and one full time coach, you come out way ahead, especially at a school with the enrollment typical of schools that are adding the sport these days. The math at Campbell makes a little less sense since they have D1 expenses and the wrestling roster is a much smaller percentage of the student body than at DIII and NAIA school, but they also have one of the largest rosters of any team in D1. 

For other small, private schools, it makes sense. Iowa Wesleyan, who just announced, has a little over 600 students. Adding men's and women's wrestling add a significant percentage to their enrollment. 

Good points.  Saved me the time. 

Campbell’s entire enrollment is around 6,500. An extra 45 students, with some on partials but I’m guessing over half with $0, makes an impact. As you said though, for D3 it is way more impactful. 

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Good points.  Saved me the time. 

Campbell’s entire enrollment is around 6,500. An extra 45 students, with some on partials but I’m guessing over half with $0, makes an impact. As you said though, for D3 it is way more impactful. 

Does D3 award schollies? I thought D3 was no-schollies?

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

Does D3 award schollies?

No, I think that was the point in regards to that Campbell (D1) does have wrestling scholarships.

Edited by 1032004

On 5/15/2019 at 10:49 PM, Perry said:

I didnt realize montell was at lindenwood belleville, how long has he been there? Any chance he moves over to st Charles to the main LU campus? I'd be very excited to see marion there as a lindenwood alum

Just this past season, there's been a lot of turnover in the LU-B program's short existence (four head coaches - Paul Collum, Kyle Jahn, Angelo Crinzi, and Graham Karwath). It would be cool to see him transfer campuses and if St. Charles took into alot of the guys 

On 5/15/2019 at 10:50 PM, Perry said:

I'm not sure on the St. Charles campus, but Belleville had a ton of D1 guys transfer in (even though it never worked out)

21 hours ago, IronChef said:

Maybe the former Kansas Wesleyan team can transfer to Iowa Wesleyan to give their roster a start.  Looks like a 7 hour drive.