CoachWrestling

Our guys lift weights too much

I just saw a video of Snyder doing what looked like a 150+ lb wrist curl. 

Let’s be real, this is unnecessary and ridiculous. This makes me think Sadulaev was onto something when he said he doesn’t lift weights. What are your thoughts on this? 

I just saw a video of Snyder doing what looked like a 150+ lb wrist curl.   

Let’s be real, this is unnecessary and ridiculous. This makes me think Sadulaev was onto something when he said he doesn’t lift weights. What are your thoughts on this? 

Lol Snyder seemed to be working on his grip strength (including the other video with the weird device) and he tagged specific wrestlers, I'm sure they have crazy strong grips. But he's been the champion nearly everytime and the runner up once (World level events)

Doesnt exactly make me think his lifting is hurting him.

Has this Saduleav ever finished runner up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

All he can do is pull it up to his wrists. Weak! Hell I can squat that much weight.  

Seriously, until Snyder or any top guys international results take a major and unexpected downturn,  I'm not questioning anything they decide do.  Not everyone will train the same way, but if they continue to have consistently high international results they training in a way that obviously works for them.  

Edited by MadMardigain

Snyder and the whole tOSU crew posts a bunch of ego lifts that are for nothing more than getting views on social media as someone else mentioned. Their strength coach is the same way on Instagram and I’m sure that’s where it’s coming from. 

I imagine that the regular training regimens are a little smarter than what we see. 

He can lift all that weight and couldn't get off his back last October....LOLzzzzzz

Obviously lifting weights have massive benefits when engaging in grappling....but....there's a huge difference between weight room strength and functional strength. Snyder has both. What I always thought was funny is when a guy like Spencer Lee (very strong functionally and knows how to utilize his weight) hold guys down like Tomasello and Suriano. How many videos have I seen of people ohhhh and ahhh over them squatting and deadlifting 400+lbs.....and then they can't get their knees off the mat when wrestling Lee.....

Sadulaev & Company definitely lift weights, but nothing like Americans. Although Russians have crazy grip and core strength, which is probably why 99% of the wrestling world has 2 choices when Sadulaev is on top....turn....or get your ribs broke. 

А я с детства привык идти за правду до конца
Как учил отец,бить подлецу по лицу и не сдаваться
Панацея моя, музыкальное пространство

7 hours ago, Dr. Novak said:

А я с детства привык идти за правду до конца
Как учил отец,бить подлецу по лицу и не сдаваться
Панацея моя, музыкальное пространство

From childhood I used to follow truth to the end
As father taught, beat the scoundrel in the face and never give up
Panacea is my muse   

[or a translation approximate to that]     

5 hours ago, dmm53 said:

From childhood I used to follow truth to the end
As father taught, beat the scoundrel in the face and never give up
Panacea is my muse   

[or a translation approximate to that]     

Is "truth" the "scoundrel" that you used to beat in the face? Is it beaten because you dont like it? Also, if you "used to," is following the truth now problematic? Or is beating the problematic? Perhaps, violence is the issue bc healing is now what breathes life into his ailing soul? 

Edited by jackwebster

On 5/14/2019 at 10:04 PM, headshuck said:

What’s with Snyder and Tayler posting images of their basement/garage workouts? Inspired by Elizabeth Warren’s “I’m gunna get me a beer” social media?

What's with this board's propensity to compare all wrestling anomalies with politics? 

Also, they make money based on their social media followers, and by they I mean all three people mentioned by the shucker of heads, so the answer to this question is: money...and maybe pride and fun.  

Shucker of heads. I like that! Game of Thronesesque.

Sorry, I guess I don’t mean to compare the reasonable social media of the athletes to politicians, but it’s hard not to read about Beto’s dental exam or haircut livestreams ...

11 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Is "truth" the "scoundrel" that you used to beat in the face? Is it beaten because you dont like it? Also, if you "used to," is following the truth now problematic? Or is beating the problematic? Perhaps, violence is the issue bc healing is now what breathes life into his ailing soul? 

It was a very rough attempt at a translation from the Russian quote posted from someone else on the board (above) not a commentary on my part of anything.  Are you asking me or just putting this out rhetorically? 

The big lifts on social media drive engagement and ultimately more $. I'm sure as well that they follow a more normal lifting regiment on a daily basis with a few "fun" and showy exercises mixed in.

Made a topic about this one before but I think this fits here also. 

https://youtu.be/tDEHHuLecVw

In this video Roman Vlasov, the two-time Olympic champion in Greco (77kg), shows his weight training routine and the load that he is using is relatively light: back squat with 100kg (220 pounds) for 4x6 repetitions, bench press with 60kg (132

pounds) 4x12, bent-over row 70kg (154 pounds) 4x10 and bicep curl 40kg (88 pounds) 4x6 . The video is from 2015.

As already mentioned, in general at least Russians seem to lift way less than USA wrestlers do.

Edited by GrecoHusky_FIN

On 5/14/2019 at 9:59 PM, spladle08 said:

Lol Snyder seemed to be working on his grip strength (including the other video with the weird device) and he tagged specific wrestlers

Could you show that other video (or point me to it) with the "weird device" for grip strength? I'm always trying to work on my grip strength. Thank you!